England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Plenty of non-PL players in there. I don’t really care what you think, you quote incorrect stats and think what Giroud did a decade ago is relevant today.
I did. I then corrected it immediately. That’s how knowledge works. Did you address the point (England have a poor record under Southgate against the best teams) which remained unaltered by the initial inaccuracy?

Giroud’s experience playing in top games clearly is relevant today. That’s how experience works.

Argentina have one world class player?
Italy none?
Germany?

You’re not a serious poster.

I did. I then corrected it immediately. That’s how knowledge works. Did you address the point (England have a poor record under Southgate against the best teams) which remained unaltered by the initial inaccuracy?

Giroud’s experience playing in top games clearly is relevant today. That’s how experience works.

Argentina have one world class player?
Italy none?
Germany?

You’re not a serious poster.

Why would I care? Nobody here rates Southgate. Do you?

Yes. Name me Argentina’s other (current) world class players. Italy failed to qualify for the last WC and we beat them home and away in qualifiers for this Euros. Who are their bonafide WC players when I’m adjusting the rule-set to exclude people like Walker, Saka or Wirtz?

Just fuck off and come back to troll during the Euros where I’ll either have fun abusing you if we win, or have fun abusing you when we lose.

Why would I care? Nobody here rates Southgate. Do you?

Yes. Name me Argentina’s other (current) world class players. Italy failed to qualify for the last WC and we beat them home and away in qualifiers for this Euros. Who are their bonafide WC players when I’m adjusting the rule-set to exclude people like Walker, Saka or Wirtz?

Just fuck off and come back to troll during the Euros where I’ll either have fun abusing you if we win, or have fun abusing you when we lose.
You have not come across well in this thread.

I hope you’re not this angry at work.

You have not come across well in this thread.

I hope you’re not this angry at work.

At this point it world be a good idea to name the other countries world class players in your view for the interest of the debate, Tbh the world class debate is silly as it's a subjective term but would be interesting to know your opinion nonetheless.

70825-f7e467cd-f3b7-428e-9df7-075879c9b6ec.jpeg

Everyone ready for easter?

At this point it world be a good idea to name the other countries world class players in your view for the interest of the debate, Tbh the world class debate is silly as it's a subjective term but would be interesting to know your opinion nonetheless.
I think there are 3-5 world class players in each position so a total of 33-55 - I’m not going to write them all out. As you say, it’s subjective. We’re looking at the players who would get into any national team in the world, or would were it not for a generational talent (it’s unfair if you happen to play the same position as Mbappé or Messi).

For example, in goal I’d say Ederson, Allison and Emi Martinez are world class (PL genuinely has the three best). Maignan and Ter Stegen on the next level.

In terms of countries…

🇩🇪 : Kroos, Kimmich, Gundogan and Rudiger are world class. Ter Stegen and Musiala are half a step behind. Wirtz will be one day.

🇮🇹 : Bastoni and Barella are world class.

🇮🇸 : Kane, Bellingham and Saka are world class. Foden, Rice, Stones and Walker are half a step behind.

🇫🇷: Mbappé, Griezmann and T Hernandez are world class. L. Hernandez, Tchouameni, and Maignan are a half step behind. Camavinga and Warren-Emery will be one day.

🇦🇷: Lautaro Martinez and Emi Martinez are world class with Messi and Romero half a step behind.

Any other countries?

Impossible job really and I don’t even know if I agree with myself.

Last edited:
I think there are 3-5 world class players in each position so a total of 33-55 - I’m not going to write them all out. As you say, it’s subjective. We’re looking at the players who would get into any national team in the world, or would were it not for a generational talent (it’s unfair if you happen to play the same position as Mbappé or Messi).

For example, in goal I’d say Ederson, Allison and Emi Martinez are world class (PL genuinely has the three best). Maignan and Ter Stegen on the next level.

In terms of countries…

🇩🇪 : Kroos, Kimmich, Gundogan and Rudiger are world class. Ter Stegen and Musiala are half a step behind. Wirtz will be one day.

🇮🇹 : Bastoni and Barella are world class.

🇮🇸 : Kane, Bellingham and Saka are world class. Foden, Rice, Stones and Walker are half a step behind.

🇫🇷: Mbappé, Griezmann and T Hernandez are world class. L. Hernandez, Tchouameni, and Maignan are a half step behind. Camavinga and Warren-Emery will be one day.

🇦🇷: Lautaro Martinez and Emi Martinez are world class with Messi and Romero half a step behind.

Any other countries?

Impossible job really and I don’t even know if I agree with myself.

Fair enough but some of these are very spooky

Fair enough but some of these are very spooky

He’s hilarious mate. Bastoni is world class but Stones and Walker aren’t. A lot of the players he’s put in I would have also included if we dropped the bar down. But if I’m not including Foden or Stones then am I fuck including Emi Martinez. Give me a fucking break. Manchester City’s star this season vs Villa’s goalkeeper. Tough one that.

Someone like Kimmich is fine to include but you better recognise that you’re basing it a lot on the past rather than the player he’s been for years. Kroos as well.

Your premier league bias is hilarious. You are The Sun’s editorial team in 2002.

Shotgunofmichalebrow Shotgunofmichalebrow is right
Your wasting your time. There's a shocking amount of money spent on this island shaping the sense of exceptionalisim in its population. lts why there's no point having this kind of conversation. It comes from (at its worse) there's nothing to learn from anyone outside. The greatest league in the world ergo the greatest players. A great league doped to its eyeballs on foreign cash. They will talk facts but constantly overlook over one hundred years and one world title, won on home soil. There's the context for English footballers.

Your wasting your time. There's a shocking amount of money spent on this island shaping the sense of exceptionalisim in its population. lts why there's no point having this kind of conversation. It comes from (at its worse) there's nothing to learn from anyone outside. The greatest league in the world ergo the greatest players. A great league doped to its eyeballs on foreign cash. They will talk facts but constantly overlook over one hundred years and one world title, won on home soil. There's the context for English footballers.

You’re talking bollocks. We’ve been semi finalists, finalists and quarter finalists in recent tournaments and are ranked third.

We WERE shit and behind for years. Then we reformed player development and now we have an objectively very good squad.

Someone including Bastoni but not Stones as world class is not being objective or realistic. Anyone who does that I suggest goes and watches the CL final and revises their opinion.

This would have been relevant around 15 years ago and I would have probably agreed but since the obvious decline of Intl football and other leagues and the improvement in the Premier League, I think there's nothing controversial with saying that England have some of the best players in the world, like nothing at all.

2 things can be true by the way, like some players can be over-rated that doesn't mean they can't still be rated.

Besides all that all this kinda misses the point anyway - I'm sure the original debate was about who was favourites for the EUROS, comparing individual players is pointless, all about how you play as a team and the balance of it.

You’re talking bollocks. We’ve been semi finalists, finalists and quarter finalists in recent tournaments and are ranked third.

We WERE shit and behind for years. Then we reformed player development and now we have an objectively very good squad.

Someone including Bastoni but not Stones as world class is not being objective or realistic. Anyone who does that I suggest goes and watches the CL final and revises their opinion.
You're talking bollocks. Thats the reposte. Then you spout drivel about semi finals as if this undermines the single unarguably fact one world title won on home soil. Have a nice morning my coffee breaks over.

Just rewatched the CL final - Bastoni was incredible. Had Haaland in his pocket.

Maybe you need to watch Bastoni play before commenting.

You're talking bollocks. Thats the reposte. Then you spout drivel about semi finals as if this undermines the single unarguably fact one world title won on home soil. Have a nice morning my coffee breaks over.

The one title won is because we were poor at developing talent in the past. It has NOTHING to do with the ability of the England squad at present.

Like I said, you’re just basing your opinions on old cliches and stereotypes about English footballers. Right down to the more physical than technical which is so outdated it’s not even funny. If anything right now we lack physicality.

We are NOT exceptional and we produce poor managers but talent-wise we’re as good as anyone currently. Turning that in to trophies is a completely different discussion but your takes on English talent are 10-15 years out of date, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom