England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

White is more like Stones in his style of defending. I think Dier would have a much better chance had Slabhead been the one to withdraw.

To be honest, it’s probably better if Dier doesn’t get called up anyway, at least he’ll have a decent amount of time off to rest before Pre Season

To be honest, it’s probably better if Dier doesn’t get called up anyway, at least he’ll have a decent amount of time off to rest before Pre Season

and if the current squad call ups are replicated for WC squads, having a fit and fresh Dier AFTER the WC in January when the WC stars need a rest would be fantastic

To be honest, if I were Eric I’d book a nice villa in Italy for a month and turn my phone off.

Fuck sitting on the bench in dogshit England friendlies for a manger who rates Harry the Slabhead Maguire over him.

Get some sun. Spend time with the missus. Switch off.

To be honest, if I were Eric I’d book a nice villa in Italy for a month and turn my phone off.

Fuck sitting on the bench in dogshit England friendlies for a manger who rates Harry the Slabhead Maguire over him.

Get some sun. Spend time with the missus. Switch off.

The World Cup is the pinnacle of a footballers career. Would be weird to fuck that off to go sun yourself. Even if he’s only in the squad he’s at least a part of the setup.

I hope he gets called up. He deserves it.

No, I just can't be arsed with you.

No I didn't. Lies now is it, Mick?

I said he's done well but is at his ceiling.

Go hump someone else's leg, grouch.
good as - Why the patronising use of Gary?

how the hell do you know what his limits are - do you have a crystal ball?

You're nothing special - I treat you the same as all of the other posters who think they have all the answers.

Try taking some of it on board, and moderating
a. Your post count
b. Your arrogant belief that everything you post is beyond reproach or comment
c. Your post count

and everyone agrees that international football is just like club football...............

Oh - no, actually they don't!

Your nonsense was that GARETH Southgate was out of his depth and got things wrong, but you see, he didn't play in the game, and he was clearly frustrated at the the timid and negative play that was served up, or...

- are you suggesting that he said - if you score in the first 5 minutes, retreat into your shell and pray that they don't equalise?

Because - if you are trying to suggest that he wasn't a good enough manager - then how the hell did he get them into a world cup semi - and then into a European cup final? Pretty much any international team manager in the world would donate vital organs to manage that particular achievement.

My argument in his defence falls apart at the point where he selects Cody, Maguire and Justin ahead of Dier. However, his track record suggests that he is more likely to be right than me. My record at managing the English national football team is abysmal.

What is yours like - remind me.......

Southgate gets really harsh treatment from some. Squad loves him, he’s fostered the best atmosphere of any England squad, and on a coaching level we conceded 0 open play (!!) goals during the entirety of the Euros. We were one badly defended set piece from being champions of Europe.

Does he have limitations compared to elite coaches? Yes. Does he have his favourites and make decisions I disagree with? Also yes.. but his overall record is superb and clearly what he’s doing is working. People’s expectations have risen from ‘quarters would be nice’ to ‘he screwed up by losing on pens in that final!’ so something is working.

I also find him to come across as a genuinely decent bloke, which is a bonus. He’s done a top job and every England fan should be proud to have him at the helm.

Southgate gets really harsh treatment from some. Squad loves him, he’s fostered the best atmosphere of any England squad, and on a coaching level we conceded 0 open play (!!) goals during the entirety of the Euros. We were one badly defended set piece from being champions of Europe.

Does he have limitations compared to elite coaches? Yes. Does he have his favourites and make decisions I disagree with? Also yes.. but his overall record is superb and clearly what he’s doing is working. People’s expectations have risen from ‘quarters would be nice’ to ‘he screwed up by losing on pens in that final!’ so something is working.

I also find him to come across as a genuinely decent bloke, which is a bonus. He’s done a top job and every England fan should be proud to have him at the helm.
Totally agree with all you have said. The hatred seems politically motivated because if he's as shit as his detractors say what does that make the clown car that's Sven Mclaren and Keegan. The facts make him Englands best since Ramsey....But inversely his selection of Coady over Dier looks personal and if its is he should come our and say he is not part of my plans.

Exactly its looking like a personal beef.

I don’t think so. If you watch some of the England squad stuff Coady is a really vocal, well liked player in the squad. International managers love these guys. It’s why Sissoko always gets France call ups.

I think a few other defenders in the squad benefit for that too and it’s just really hard as a newcomer to force his way in. Tomori’s only just done it and he’s been part of a table topping Milan side all season.

I do think it’s harsh and a mistake. Dier has earned the call up. But international managers can be really stubborn with this kind of thing.

Totally agree with all you have said. The hatred seems politically motivated because if he's as shit as his detractors say what does that make the clown car that's Sven Mclaren and Keegan. The facts make him Englands best since Ramsey....But inversely his selection of Coady over Dier looks personal and if its is he should come our and say he is not part of my plans.

The only time I’ve been really pissed off with him was after the Croatia game. I was annoyed at some of the choices after Italy but don’t think it was a disaster. He definitely learned from his first tournament and we were much more solid for the Euros.

People seem to think because we have talented players we’re entitled to do well, but that’s never been the case with England. And other countries also have a lot of talent and are not doing as well.

The only time I’ve been really pissed off with him was after the Croatia game. I was annoyed at some of the choices after Italy but don’t think it was a disaster. He definitely learned from his first tournament and we were much more solid for the Euros.

People seem to think because we have talented players we’re entitled to do well, but that’s never been the case with England. And other countries also have a lot of talent and are not doing as well.
Italy were just too street smart. Not sure we had the tools to beat them whoeveris in charge. My big issue is how he has set up his very functional midfield. On Coady being liked and vocal so is Dier he's done it in a tournament for Southgate that should count for way more. You saw in that Italy game that tournament experience is priceless. He can't keep ignoring him if we start next season like we ended this one.

I'm just struggling to be polite in this thread. Fuck southgate with a fucking cactus. I'm sick of his cowardly shit.

It's just Mourinho ball with a better squad. Except Mourinho, even at his worst could read the game and make some meaningful subs. Southgate watched us get battered by Croatia for about an hour and did nothing.

He watched us get battered by Italy for 100 minutes and did nothing. Then he had the three youngest forwards in his top 5 pen takers. Saka's first ever professional pen FFS.

I'm just struggling to be polite in this thread. Fuck southgate with a fucking cactus. I'm sick of his cowardly shit.

It's just Mourinho ball with a better squad. Except Mourinho, even at his worst could read the game and make some meaningful subs. Southgate watched us get battered by Croatia for about an hour and did nothing.

He watched us get battered by Italy for 100 minutes and did nothing. Then he had the three youngest forwards in his top 5 pen takers. Saka's first ever professional pen FFS.
Oh dear

What people don't see is that when we're baffled at him including the likes of Coady, none of us see the impact Coady might (does) have in the dressing room, and in the background.

My only issue with him is that at times we can seem a little bit passive and that shouldn't be the case with the attacking players we have. On paper, we should be as good and as dangerous as any other nation. He's made us not only hard to beat but also hard to score against, which is a great starting point for any team. His next goal should be to unlock more from the likes of Foden and Mount. Should he do that, there's no reason at all why England can't win things with the bit of luck that's always needed.

Battered? Nonsense. They had a lot of the ball but I can barely remember Pickford having to make a save in 120 minutes. Even their goal was fortunate as it dropped for them from a corner. Both teams defences were well on top. One team having 65% of the ball but not creating anything with it shouldn't be labelled as battering the opponent.

But England definitely lost the final more than Italy won it. When we played at pace they couldn't live with us but we stopped doing that after we scored. I don't believe Southgate purposely told the players to stop doing what was working so well the moment Luke Shaw put us ahead. Our players bottled it under the pressure and expectation, simple as that, but could have still won the penalty lottery on a different day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom