Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, I understand that. Carroll hasn't exactly been amazing while at Swansea, but if it were a case of having him or Paulinho in the squad, I know who I'd pick!

It's funny because the matches I've watched Carroll play at Swansea, he's very Paulinho like. Carroll has a better passing range, but most of the time I find myself asking the question. What exactly is it that makes Carroll so special? What does he do?

It's funny because the matches I've watched Carroll play at Swansea, he's very Paulinho like. Carroll has a better passing range, but most of the time I find myself asking the question. What exactly is it that makes Carroll so special? What does he do?

Bit harsh on Carroll comparing him to Paulinho, nobody deserves that! :paulinhowtf:

Just feel that, like you said, he has a great passing range - a very tidy player who doesn't lose the ball often. Would you say, that is how you describe Paulinho? :carrollwtf:

Bit harsh on Carroll comparing him to Paulinho, nobody deserves that! :paulinhowtf:

Just feel that, like you said, he has a great passing range - a very tidy player who doesn't lose the ball often. Would you say, that is how you describe Paulinho? :carrollwtf:

Agreed harsh indeed.

I guess i was expecting more from him.

He's very sideways. Not on the front foot enough for me. He also seems to have trouble finding space and get open for teammates.

I know he's one of our own and hope he comes good, but Mason and Bentaleb are miles ahead of him.

Dembele clearly isn't suited to playing in the central paring, we've seen that he's far better further up the pitch, so I wouldn't list him. Stambouli, Mason, Alli, Bentaleb and Carroll could be our central midfield players with Dembele, Eriksen, Lamella, Townsend, Chadli (and possibly Pritchard) competing for the 3 behind the striker.

We do have to shift Capoue, Paulinho and Holtby first obviously.
FOR FUCK SAKE HOLTBY IS FUCKING GONE

Agreed harsh indeed.

I guess i was expecting more from him.

He's very sideways. Not on the front foot enough for me. He also seems to have trouble finding space and get open for teammates.

I know he's one of our own and hope he comes good, but Mason and Bentaleb are miles ahead of him.
For me, he also lacks enough of the "bite" you need in central midfield. I don't doubt that Nabil and Ryan are ready and willing to give as much as they get when someone tries to push them over. When I saw Carroll play, he didn't have that same attitude, and he's too small to lack it and be what we need. I don't mean he needs to be a man mountain, but people are going to try and intimidate you on pitch, and Carroll doesn't seem to have the tools to fight back.

I think Bentaleb is well on his way to becoming that guy. He's always shouting at players who are even more experienced than him, encouraging them as well instructing.

He's got a bit of the nasty cunts about him (and not just the 'perma-scar' over his eye)... he's always 'around' when there's pushing and shoving involved... not saying it's a bad thing, as we've needed someone like that for a while... but he needs to be clever about it (dare I say, a bit Vieira??) or else Refs will cotton on, and he'll spend more time being suspended than playing!

He's got a bit of the nasty cunts about him (and not just the 'perma-scar' over his eye)... he's always 'around' when there's pushing and shoving involved... not saying it's a bad thing, as we've needed someone like that for a while... but he needs to be clever about it (dare I say, a bit Vieira??) or else Refs will cotton on, and he'll spend more time being suspended than playing!
Yeah, be like Zidane in every way except that one...

TBH I'd rather that he started tracking runners more and defend space outside the box rather than be argy-bargy at fouls and refs decisions?

His face reminds me so incredibly much of someone, I just don't know who. Not sure if it's an old friend, a celebrity, or another footballer.

Annoying.

Looks a bit like Ashley Cole

images
images

Signing for the future no doubt. Especially seeing that we have Bentaleb and Mason doing so well at the moment

Classic ENIC transfer - one with profit on mind first and foremost
Profit??

All clubs do this. All clubs buy players at young ages in the hope they'll be a super star. and help them win trophies. Not Spurs fault the players want to leave.

I think he should be in and around or team next year. Do not want us sending him on loan. Young and hungry footballers should be around the first team squad.

Woolwich didn't buy Oxlade - Chamberlain from League One to send him back on loan, he trusted his ability and within a year was an England international. I want him in and around the team showing us what he can do and I believe he will. Poch loves youth.

And arguably at that age, Alli is the better prospect.
I have no doubt he'll be around the 1st team next year. That's what Poch is all about, youth! So excited to see him in action

We have a 25 man limit including 3 keepers. So 22. Bentaleb, Mason, Alli, Dembele, Stambouli all better than Carroll. There's no room for him and we can get decent money for a kid we'll never use.

It benefits us more imo, to sell him for a good price than keep him and inevitably waste him. He deserves better.
Well Bentaleb and Delle Alli will be U21 and Kane will be still 21 on January its of next season, so I think he counts too.
We had a 23 man squad tons start with. At the moment we only have 21 in total, 17 NHG and 4 HG -as we have got rid of Naughton and Lennon. So, we do have space for another 4 HG players over 21 next season.

Plus the NHG we get rid of.

Last edited:
Well Bentaleb and Delle Alli will be U21 and Kane will be still 21 on January its of next season, so I think he counts too.
We had a 23 man squad tons start with. At the moment we only have 21 in total, 17 NHG and 4 HG -as we have got rid of Naughton and Lennon. So, we do have space for another 4 HG players over 21 next season.
That's assuming we don't bring in higher quality players than Carroll this summer. And if that happens...

FULL MELTDOWN

That's assuming we don't bring in higher quality players than Carroll this summer. And if that happens...

FULL MELTDOWN
I watched Caroll v Southampton and apart from the play that led to their goal, he did not look that good. I kept my eye on him all the time. He mainly was just running back into position on the defensive not getting many tackles in and looked like a passenger. I was surprised he was picked as a shield infant of the back 4.
I would have said he was anonymous and then he got the ball, controlled it well with two players on him, and released it forward, which was then passed again and they scored.
There is no doubt he can pass, but it's the other aspects of his game that worry me. Shelvey and Gomis were pressing and Carroll and Fulton were siting in front of the back four. If SAFC's finishing - or crosses from full backs - would have been better, Williams and Fernandez had not had blinders that plan would not have worked as Fulton and Carroll could not contain their midfield, especially when Maine came on bursting from midfield.

I watched Caroll v Southampton and apart from the play that led to their goal, he did not look that good. I kept my eye on him all the time. He mainly was just running back into position on the defensive not getting many tackles in and looked like a passenger. I was surprised he was picked as a shield infant of the back 4.
I would have said he was anonymous and then he got the ball, controlled it well with two players on him, and released it forward, which was then passed again and they scored.
There is no doubt he can pass, but it's the other aspects of his game that worry me. Shelvey and Gomis were pressing and Carroll and Fulton were siting in front of the back four. If SAFC's finishing - or crosses from full backs - would have been better, Williams and Fernandez had not had blinders that plan would not have worked as Fulton and Carroll could not contain their midfield, especially when Maine came on bursting from midfield.
I've been less than impressed since he came on the scene. Too sideways, not enough ambition.

When you compare him to the likes of Nabil and Ryan it shows what level he is truly at.

Nice kid, steady player, not good enough for us I'm afraid. Should stick at Swansea, he'll thrive there.

Back
Top Bottom