Defending the Defenders? (Stats)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I said that last time, but because 5 of the games were against 'Pub Teams' and what not, it lost credibility.

I have a feeling one of Rose/Fryers might be the next 'Shaw' for Poch, and Fryers seems like he's a better candidate if you ask me (Natural defender, seems more grounded and seems to want to do well)

Like Fryers from what I have seen, as you say a good defender although lacks a bit going forward but call me old fashioned a full backs primary job is to defend and Rose just ain't good enough at defending.

its a sport - not a science though. Its to be enjoyed and treated as a visual spectacle, not some visceral calisthenics exercise.
eee yew yung folk, with yer fancy pewters.

Perhaps,

But in the world of the internet, the sheep are often lead by the shepherds of bullshit - facts separate the nonsense from the reality.

You'll always find some tool arguing why someone is shit by quoting facts which are often based on the fictional, rather than statistics.

Perhaps,

But in the world of the internet, the sheep are often lead by the shepherds of bullshit - facts separate the nonsense from the reality.

You'll always find some tool arguing why someone is shit by quoting facts which are often based on the fictional, rather than statistics.
lies, damned lies and statistics
football is a sport and not a science
There are no constants, laws or certainties in a game run on the vagaries of human minds, emotions and bodily feats of endurance. Figures, charts and tables are simply historical records and bear little relevance to what may be possible tomorrow.
If you understand enough about football you can work out which are the best players and which combinations are most likely to work by watching what they can do, what skills they have to call on and what their fitness and performance levels are like.

as you have said in the past though, you like to play spreadsheet games and likeminded people like to pour over charts and graphs as if they were indicative of future events.
I just like to turn up and watch events unfold on the day and try to enjoy watching the unravelling tableau of skills and achievement.
Each to their own, as the saying goes.

lies, damned lies and statistics
football is a sport and not a science
There are no constants, laws or certainties in a game run on the vagaries of human minds, emotions and bodily feats of endurance. Figures, charts and tables are simply historical records and bear little relevance to what may be possible tomorrow.
If you understand enough about football you can work out which are the best players and which combinations are most likely to work by watching what they can do, what skills they have to call on and what their fitness and performance levels are like.

as you have said in the past though, you like to play spreadsheet games and likeminded people like to pour over charts and graphs as if they were indicative of future events.
I just like to turn up and watch events unfold on the day and try to enjoy watching the unravelling tableau of skills and achievement.
Each to their own, as the saying goes.

What the stats dont show is that somebody could have a 90% pass completion, and 100% tackle success and still have had a fucking shit game....then people who didnt see the game try to argue with those who did, that he was brilliant that day, because the chart said so.

Also funny how win percentage means something when you want it to, and nothing when you dont.

Wow, appreciate the effort. Makes you wonder where we would've finished if just 1 or 2 players hadn't been injured this season.

--
CJJ CJJ , Where did you find that thfc font?

I think this will depend highly upon our midfield situation. The reason being that if we are to employ a no nonsense defensive midfielder (Sandro/Capoue) then Rose will be better suited with the flank attacks, however, if we employ a more creative/box2box midfield then Fryers will be better suited for (like you say) his defensive capabilities.

Rotation similar to Southampton with Chambers and Clyne dependent on the opposition / rest of team set up. No issue with that. You would happily rotate the midfield, so why not fullbacks.

Really wish we would have seen more of the Vlad/Verts pairing. Also, our record with Vlad is very nice, and confirms my thoughts that he was one of our bright spots this season.

Really wish we would have seen more of the Vlad/Verts pairing. Also, our record with Vlad is very nice, and confirms my thoughts that he was one of our bright spots this season.
which totally ignores that game he had after his pissed up video where he played like anthony gardner on serious hallucinogenics

Back
Top Bottom