Defending the Defenders? (Stats)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So it's silly season, and we're discussing where the direction will be angled in terms of future transfers.

It won't feel like a spursy transfer window unless we obsessively collect another midfielder that we don't need, but what about defenders?

It's been more than an obsession this season that we need a left-back. Watching the video of Lloris saves (and only the saves, scarily) shows that we, generally, had a back four like a bunch of headless chickens who had just taken acid before chopping their own heads off.

With this in mind, I've managed to complete my spreadsheet of this season's 54 games, each with full lineups and substitutions for every game (along with other stats). Using the starting lineups, I've finished off a series of charts that were used in the Maff's n Stats thread.

Rather than try and say these show anything, I'm just going to leave them here. Might be an interesting focal point for discussion, might end up dropping off page 1 within an hour, but here you go.... (click to enlarge on some)

DF1.png

DF2.png

DF3.png

And to counter the snidey comments before they manifest themselves from the usual corners, here's "Prem" only.

DF4.png

DF5.png

If anyone spots any mistakes in the stats, let me know. There should be none, I've been over it countless times. The 19 different PL back four combinations should be accurate, and I can't see any duplicates, so more a scary thought than mistake I hope.

Have fun!

Im actually suprised that not once(as i read out) we didnt field walker-vlad-verts-rose backline.
What is imo the strongest.

Im actually suprised that not once(as i read out) we didnt field walker-vlad-verts-rose backline.
What is imo the strongest.

I don't think the Walker/Rose/Vertonghen/Chiriches injury-free periods ever aligned for it to happen.

I'm also a bit worried that maybe our strongest backline includes Rose

:lamelashock:

Fryers is our answer to left back :paulinholol:

I said that last time, but because 5 of the games were against 'Pub Teams' and what not, it lost credibility.

I have a feeling one of Rose/Fryers might be the next 'Shaw' for Poch, and Fryers seems like he's a better candidate if you ask me (Natural defender, seems more grounded and seems to want to do well)

Somebody said on here the other day about Rose being good when AVB was here ans looking back I have to agree, I distinctly remember him evening out our team and providing decicive runs. Obviously he had a poor poor time under Tim. Wonder if he's someone Poch can get to work? High line definitely suits him and Walker more as they can redeem most mistakes with pace. Also from those stats we do desperately need some continuity from our cb partnership. Understand is the vital role in any centreback partnership, look at the best in the league this year and they consistently manage to put out roughly the same back four, especially Chelsea and Woolwich. Without being to Scousery we are a bit cursed when it comes to mass and consistent injury.

Here's how you take it to next level CJJ CJJ try and get some kind of indexing for the games whereby you take the average goals per game scored by the opposition team all season and bake that in somehow

As say Player X for example only played against non top 6 etc can boost stats

Here's how you take it to next level CJJ CJJ try and get some kind of indexing for the games whereby you take the average goals per game scored by the opposition team all season and bake that in somehow

As say Player X for example only played against non top 6 etc can boost stats

I was thinking along those lines, but didn't really know how to plan it.

I said that last time, but because 5 of the games were against 'Pub Teams' and what not, it lost credibility.

I have a feeling one of Rose/Fryers might be the next 'Shaw' for Poch, and Fryers seems like he's a better candidate if you ask me (Natural defender, seems more grounded and seems to want to do well)
I think this will depend highly upon our midfield situation. The reason being that if we are to employ a no nonsense defensive midfielder (Sandro/Capoue) then Rose will be better suited with the flank attacks, however, if we employ a more creative/box2box midfield then Fryers will be better suited for (like you say) his defensive capabilities.

I was thinking along those lines, but didn't really know how to plan it.

Ok I had a look and we keep the goals conceded in each game as of course very relevant then alongside it you put the average that team scores per game, then the index is our goals conceded divided by their average goals scored in each game, that then gives you a situation say eg) norwich score average 1 a game, we shipped in 2 thats 2 on the index, however if we only say concede 1 in a game against liverpool (we wish) and they score 2 a game, gives index of 0.5, again the lower the value the better, will be interesting to see how that comes out

I don't think the Walker/Rose/Vertonghen/Chiriches injury-free periods ever aligned for it to happen.

I'm also a bit worried that maybe our strongest backline includes Rose

:lamelashock:
I feel ya. Really, rose, really? :(

Ok I had a look and we keep the goals conceded in each game as of course very relevant then alongside it you put the average that team scores per game, then the index is our goals conceded divided by their average goals scored in each game, that then gives you a situation say eg) norwich score average 1 a game, we shipped in 2 thats 2 on the index, however if we only say concede 1 in a game against liverpool (we wish) and they score 2 a game, gives index of 0.5, again the lower the value the better, will be interesting to see how that comes out

I've called it the Mensa Index, just for you.

Doesn't make a lot of difference. Took the league table with GF, divided it by games, then divided that by goals conceded in each PL match. each was added together and totalled for the 'Mensa Index'

DF6.png

DF7.png

I've called it the Mensa Index, just for you.

Doesn't make a lot of difference. Took the league table with GF, divided it by games, then divided that by goals conceded in each PL match. each was added together and totalled for the 'Mensa Index'

DF6.png

DF7.png

That's good it didn't make much of a difference, as it's highly unlikely that defender X and Y were together for only top games anyway, especially with the injuries and form merry go round was madness anyway, thanks for that so we have allowed for how often teams score on average circumstances

I was always of the mindset that vert and daws were the best combo if both playing as well as possible and not against super speedy teams, vlad will in time be the top choice

That's good it didn't make much of a difference, as it's highly unlikely that defender X and Y were together for only top games anyway, especially with the injuries and form merry go round was madness anyway, thanks for that so we have allowed for how often teams score on average circumstances

I was always of the mindset that vert and daws were the best combo if both playing as well as possible and not against super speedy teams, vlad will in time be the top choice

If you want to have a fiddle and see if you can get anything interesting from the data, here's the sheet I made

http://www.filedropper.com/lineupspl

Back
Top Bottom