Current Valuations of Historical Players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Ledley had an injury free career he'd still be playing today. At United.

Take nothing away from his loyalty to
Spurs but he was the most gifted English defender of the Premier League era thus far. They'd have come for him eventually.

If Luka went for just under £35m, John White would be valued around there at the height of his powers.

ledders turned down man utd at his peak.. call it madness but tis a fact.

Hi 1882, I like you as a poster and of course as an '1882 person', so no offence intended. But I wish people would stop picking on Doherty, he was a fine club servant whose career was cruelly ruined by a horrible needless tackle by some lower league player in a cup tie we were easily winning.

I think he deserves our sympathy our thanks not the many cruel jibes aimed at him.

PS I'm sure you're 'only joking' but just want to put a plea in for Doherty here.

It really makes me sad how Gary is remembered by so many and I find it quite hurtful, and no I'm not his brother :)

He is remembered to me as being able to play both centre back and striker with "green ability" on football manager.

Unique.

Personally i think the Bale deal should be seen as an anomaly and not a tool by which to measure all other players.

Bale's price was due to factors far bigger than just football. There was Levy, the media, the Time Square nonsense, Barca signing Neymar and dominating La Liga again, and the desperate need for Real to sign a galatico.

If we are going to use Bale as a yard stick you need to look at a price of around 50 mill, just slightly more expensive than the man who has offside eyes.

Personally i think the Bale deal should be seen as an anomaly and not a tool by which to measure all other players.

Bale's price was due to factors far bigger than just football. There was Levy, the media, the Time Square nonsense, Barca signing Neymar and dominating La Liga again, and the desperate need for Real to sign a galatico.

If we are going to use Bale as a yard stick you need to look at a price of around 50 mill, just slightly more expensive than the man who has offside eyes.
so he was worth 85 million then. For all the reasons you espoused.

And if he was worth that, then a fit in form 23 year old Jimmy Greaves would be worth over double that - because he was a human goal robot, and what would anyone pay for someone who could score like that in this day and age

What on earth did your last sentence mean? Are there bits missing?

Greaves wouldn't have been as marketable as Bale so he wouldn't have gone for double. George Best on the other hand would be.

I cant recall, i'm trying to find ledleys words on it know.. it was posted elsewhere in the past & cant think
where!.

I recently seen an interview with Ledley on sky I believe were he said that was unture

edit - ok it wasn't man u specifically but it was madrid and barca, he also says he never came close to leaving here's the vid it's right at the end

Last edited:
so he was worth 85 million then. For all the reasons you espoused.

If we are judging players we need to remove the marketability, esp when we are looking at different generations. What was marketable then isn't now.

Best better than Bale, but worth as much when you take in everything he brings with him(drinking etc)? No

If we are judging players we need to remove the marketability, esp when we are looking at different generations. What was marketable then isn't now.

Best better than Bale, but worth as much when you take in everything he brings with him(drinking etc)? No
If he was around now, I don't think he'd be pissing it up like that, ergo, he would be worth as much. He was the first footballing superstar in England, he was the prototype.

Bale is malleable though, which helps, Best was a stubborn fuck who wouldn't have got that shit haircut.

I reckon Dave Mackay would go for the same amount as the American debt

John White would have been same as Ronaldo + £1

Crooks'n'Archibald together £50m. Separately? Who knows.

I bet Les Ferdinand at the point where we bought him would be considered a 20 million pound player nowadays.

Ardiles was a great player but wasn't the star of the Argentina team and was more like a di Maria so 35-40 million

Teddy Sheringham would be priceless today. He had his limitations (never prolific, couldn't dribble, not the fastest) but they don't make number 10s as smart as that anymore and is the type of player that in a team can win you big silverware. It's hard to find a modern player who is similar but he's better than Ozil. so 45 million

Jimmy Greaves' stats speak for themselves. He was one of the World's most prolific strikers for almost the entirety of his career. So, we're talking Ibrahimovic level. 65 million.

Gazza was the best attacking midfielder in the world in 1991 so today he'd compare favourably to Iniesta. We've got to be talking 80 million

And go on, Gary Docherty. Low level premier league defender, relatively young, the sort of player Palace would buy to try and stay up. 7 million.

Sheringham better than Ozil, wow.

You don't agree, I take it. he played in some awful, awful Spurs sides so his goalscoring and assist stats aren't helpful. His England record is more helpful and was pretty good. I can't remember him ever having a bad game for England. He moved to Man U as a 31 year old ffs and still banged in goals at a rate of 1 in 3 plus shed-loads of assists and clever link up play.

Back
Top Bottom