Current Valuations of Historical Players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi all, this is my first thread but something I was pondering whilst at work, and I couldn't find a similar thread. With the current inflated player values, what do you think some of our ex players would be worth today? Who do you guys think would be the most valuable spurs player of all time? Being quite young I can't really comment that accurately before 2000, but from what I've seen and read the likes of Hoddle and Greaves could easily be worth more than what we received for Bale...

Of course it's nigh on impossible to realistically say, but I'll go Greaves at his peak, £100m, Hoddle 90m, Cliff Jones 90m. But I couldn't really argue at length (strange for me ::)) to defend those prices.

Bale was one of our all-time great players so were the above three, all are in my 'Spurs XI'. I had to rejig the team's structure to get Gareth in and drop Stevie 'Spurs' Perryman, which hurt a lot!

With his injury-proneness?
No I'm going on how he played, even with an ongoing injury. I know teams wouldn't pay that, but if I had to value him I would say £60 million.

Thiago Silva is the most expensive defender in history at £35.3 million and that was Berlusconi getting rid of his highest earners 'on the cheap', he definitely should have gone for more than that.

And do you not think Ledley King was one of the best defenders his time? Baring in mind how many players have said they would put him in their all time XI. And how many players said he was their toughest opponent, even Henry!

Also baring in mind the prices now, Rio went for £30 million back in 2003? Jesus!

If Ledley had an injury free career he'd still be playing today. At United.

Take nothing away from his loyalty to
Spurs but he was the most gifted English defender of the Premier League era thus far. They'd have come for him eventually.

If Luka went for just under £35m, John White would be valued around there at the height of his powers.

Hi 1882, I like you as a poster and of course as an '1882 person', so no offence intended. But I wish people would stop picking on Doherty, he was a fine club servant whose career was cruelly ruined by a horrible needless tackle by some lower league player in a cup tie we were easily winning.

I think he deserves our sympathy our thanks not the many cruel jibes aimed at him.

PS I'm sure you're 'only joking' but just want to put a plea in for Doherty here.

It really makes me sad how Gary is remembered by so many and I find it quite hurtful, and no I'm not his brother :)

so, Ardiles is £59m then?
Like it :) obviously Villa is deservedly a Spurs hero, but those of us who watched Spurs regularly during that era, know he was a very frustrating player and nowhere near the level of Ossie or Hod. To be honest Hazard was probably better than him as well.
Still, I'll always be grateful for that goal, and indeed the semi-final screamer too. I was lucky enough to be at Highbury and Wembley for those games, some of the most magical memories I possess.

Completely taking over the North Bank and singing to our heart's content was sooooooooo sweet!

Hi 1882, I like you as a poster and of course as an '1882 person', so no offence intended. But I wish people would stop picking on Doherty, he was a fine club servant whose career was cruelly ruined by a horrible needless tackle by some lower league player in a cup tie we were easily winning.

I think he deserves our sympathy our thanks not the many cruel jibes aimed at him.

PS I'm sure you're 'only joking' but just want to put a plea in for Doherty here.

It really makes me sad how Gary is remembered by so many and I find it quite hurtful, and no I'm not his brother :)
eh?
Doherty went on to play 200 odd games at Norwich and I believe is still on the books as a player at Wycombe

Back
Top Bottom