Commoli - Spurs scouting network "a joke"

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just a quick list of some of the players that Commoli used his extensive scouting network to sign:

- Gilberto
- Kevin Prince Boateng
- Giovani dos Santos
- Gomes
- Darren Bent
- David Bentley
- Alan Hutton

To be fair:
Gilberto. Definitely crap but he did manage to get Brazil's starting left back to the club somehow.
KPB: won Germany young player of the year and has shown to be good in Italy. Obviously wasn't ready/a good fit for the prem
Gio: highly rated at the time and doing the business for barca. Probably the biggest disappointment but this seemed to owe more to his attitude than his ability. Now doing quite well in Spain and continues to impress for Mexico
Gomes: calamitous at times but was a massive part of us qualifying for CL
Bent: complete waste of money that didn't fit into our style if play. can't argue there.
Bentley: feel like this was an ok signing if we hadn't massively overpaid. Was highly rated at the time but again it seems to be abut of a trend with these players that perhaps we looked to much at ability and completely overlooked attitude/mental toughness
Alan Hutton: see David Bentley

To be fair:
Gilberto. Definitely crap but he did manage to get Brazil's starting left back to the club somehow.
KPB: won Germany young player of the year and has shown to be good in Italy. Obviously wasn't ready/a good fit for the prem
Gio: highly rated at the time and doing the business for barca. Probably the biggest disappointment but this seemed to owe more to his attitude than his ability. Now doing quite well in Spain and continues to impress for Mexico
Gomes: calamitous at times but was a massive part of us qualifying for CL
Bent: complete waste of money that didn't fit into our style if play. can't argue there.
Bentley: feel like this was an ok signing if we hadn't massively overpaid. Was highly rated at the time but again it seems to be abut of a trend with these players that perhaps we looked to much at ability and completely overlooked attitude/mental toughness
Alan Hutton: see David Bentley

Gilberto - we paid £3.5m when he was available on a free 6 months later.
KPB - he didn't win any young player of the year award in Germany, the Spurs website is the only place this award has ever been mentioned as far as I can see.

My point on Gio, Gomes and Bent was that no scouting was actually needed - Gio very highly rated and player of the tournament at youth world cups.........we'd played against Gomes twice.........Bent one of the top scorers in the league

Bentley and Hutton both well known and we just paid double what they were worth.

Not sure what Commoli's top level scouts in Argentina, Italy and Spain were up to?....

Gilberto - we paid £3.5m when he was available on a free 6 months later.
KPB - he didn't win any young player of the year award in Germany, the Spurs website is the only place this award has ever been mentioned as far as I can see.

My point on Gio, Gomes and Bent was that no scouting was actually needed - Gio very highly rated and player of the tournament at youth world cups.........we'd played against Gomes twice.........Bent one of the top scorers in the league

Bentley and Hutton both well known and we just paid double what they were worth.

Not sure what Commoli's top level scouts in Argentina, Italy and Spain were up to?....

Ah I see. Anyway I don't like the guy so I'm not going to waste much time trying to defend him!

Wikipedia suggests he did win a young player of the year award when at Hertha.

He won the following (Not sure how prestigious though):

1. The Fritz Walter Medal is a series of annual awards given by the German Football Association to youth footballers in Germany. Firstawarded in 2005, it is named in honour of Fritz Walter, captain of West Germany's 1954 FIFA World Cup-winning team.

You can question the validity of the source but looking at the facts it doesn't seem like he's wrong. It's clear that over the last three years we've failed in at least 80% of our purchases and basically burned a massive amount of money. Whose fault is that? Hard to know considering our Kremlin-esque set up behind the scenes but it certainly doesn't reflect well on whoever is scouting the guys we bring in. I'm inclined to believe Comolli.

Yes, he brought in a few turds, or at least overpriced mediocrity (Bentley, dos Santos, Taarabt, Hutton)

You guys do realise Dos Santos has gone on to be a quality player? He got 11 goals and 8 assist last season. Eriksen, who we constantly fap over, got 7 goals and 1 assist. We just screwed him over, played him out of position and didn't support him, much the same as we do with most of our players.

Also like to remind people that whether a player becomes quality or not is partially down to the manager; if he plays the right formation, puts him in his natural position etc. If not, like Siggy, he's not going to reach his potential.

Our scouting is a joke because we have no plan. What is our formation? How do we play? In 2013 we bought 4 attacking midfielders for 1 spot. Why? Someone needs to answer this. We should be copying Southampton in every respect, not just stealing their manager :pochserious:

You guys do realise Dos Santos has gone on to be a quality player? He got 11 goals and 8 assist last season. Eriksen, who we constantly fap over, got 7 goals and 1 assist. We just screwed him over, played him out of position and didn't support him, much the same as we do with most of our players.

Also like to remind people that whether a player becomes quality or not is partially down to the manager; if he plays the right formation, puts him in his natural position etc. If not, like Siggy, he's not going to reach his potential.

Our scouting is a joke because we have no plan. What is our formation? How do we play? In 2013 we bought 4 attacking midfielders for 1 spot. Why? Someone needs to answer this. We should be copying Southampton in every respect, not just stealing their manager :pochserious:
Are you Gibbs???

Commoli can go forth and multiply. Has Levy's gagging clause finally expired?

I've heard phrases like liar and charlatan used to describe him and I don't disagree.

A man who failed at Spurs and Liverpool, he had his chance twice and blew it both times.

Sour grapes.

Comolli's players took a while to get going but a lot turned out well. However, he presided over an unbalanced squad. Younes Kaboul sums up his time at the club. He spent £8m on a prospect but with King injured he wasn't what we needed. Jol wanted Distin as we needed more experience. Kaboul turned out to be a very good defender eventually (until the knee injury)

Before Portsmouth Kaboul was ok but with iffy tendencies. On his return he has had one and a bit very good seasons and otherwise been injured and now there's this season.

Capable player, has been a good player, never consistent and currently not up to much.

This whole DoF thing baffles the fuck out of me. It seems that the idea is for the manager to identify targets & key areas that need improvement & then let the DoF work his magic with his scouting network (or not in the case of Spurs-allegedly) to find those players & negotiate with their clubs & agents- leaving the manager free to work with the players instead of getting bogged down with agents & transfer negotiations. In the ENIC model however, it seems the DoF role is to listen to what the manager is asking for & then find the cheaper alternatives once he's spoken to chairman Levy. I'd never heard of Stambouli but he is shaping up from what I've seen to be a poor man's Schneiderlin. He may well come good but at what cost in terms of league position? Schneiderlin wanted to come to us & is now having another really solid season. We get the cheap version who has barely played yet, rather than the ready made real deal. It does work some of the time (Bale) but we end up with a bloaty squad of players that the new manager either doesn't want or can't fit into the system the manager wants to play. So the manager is shite, the performances are shite & the circle starts again. If the DoF doesn't add to the product then what the fuck is he doing still in a job?

This whole DoF thing baffles the fuck out of me. It seems that the idea is for the manager to identify targets & key areas that need improvement & then let the DoF work his magic with his scouting network (or not in the case of Spurs-allegedly) to find those players & negotiate with their clubs & agents- leaving the manager free to work with the players instead of getting bogged down with agents & transfer negotiations. In the ENIC model however, it seems the DoF role is to listen to what the manager is asking for & then find the cheaper alternatives once he's spoken to chairman Levy. I'd never heard of Stambouli but he is shaping up from what I've seen to be a poor man's Schneiderlin. He may well come good but at what cost in terms of league position? Schneiderlin wanted to come to us & is now having another really solid season. We get the cheap version who has barely played yet, rather than the ready made real deal. It does work some of the time (Bale) but we end up with a bloaty squad of players that the new manager either doesn't want or can't fit into the system the manager wants to play. So the manager is shite, the performances are shite & the circle starts again. If the DoF doesn't add to the product then what the fuck is he doing still in a job?

He adds to the product, in that he adds to the amount of profit Levy makes.

Levy will penny scrape where ever he can, buying alternatives he full well knows aren't as good, just to save a few million (Which, ironically, he would have made back in league position prize money if we got the original target).

I wouldn't mind but these alternatives aren't even actual alternatives. They're just random people who play in the same position. Stambouli is nothing like Schneiderlin, Fazio is nothing like Musacchio.

All our director of football does is seem to find cheap deals purely for the hell of it and then buy them. If they fuck up, we sell them for the same price we bought them. We have a football club running on a business model and some how we're shocked when everything goes tits up.

If we bought Schneiderlin for 20-25 mil, would we get that money back when we sold him? Probably not. It would still have been worth it though, because our football and league standing would have been better. Levy's reasoning doesn't go this far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom