Commentators/pundits

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Love Motty but he's been shit for a number of years now

Agree. Feel his been playing up to a caricature of himself for the best part of the last decade. Barry Davies always had way more class. John Motson was very good in his prime, but that was a while back, and he looks very tired and fed up now.

Love Motty but he's been shit for a number of years now

Just another English cunt on the telly

giphy.gif

Anyone remember Hugh Johns from ITV?

Remember him interviewing Don Revie after an England game where we were shite

He kept trying to make Revie admit that one of his players had a mare
(.Can't remember which one but clearly a large choice available)
All Revie would say was that the full back didn't have a good game but Johns wouldn't let it drop
Revie then lost it saying that if Johns didn't stop making these innuendos then he wouldn't speak to him!
A lot funnier then than it sounds now

Harry would have just said that yes he was rubbish as was the rest of the team

That would have shut him up!

Also remember Guy Lorenzo(I think) on Sky interviewing Gordon Strachan asking him a leading question who promptly had a hissy and tore him a new one!

Motson reaching the end for quite a while, same as Murray Walker. Both being carried by thier sidekicks and just there on fame rather than skill.

I'm in Dublin this week and the Irish pundits after the Serbia game was hilarious. Totally laying into the coaches and slagging them off for ages

Loved Barry Davies. I remember when he made a return for a one-off on MoTD a few years ago. I grew up with Brian Moore, Barry Davies and John Motson calling pretty much every game I could watch on TV. I feel the effect of the great commentators have on us as fans is greatly unappreciated because they help us recall so many great moments we love to relive in our heads.

Shameless plug: the role commentators play in our football memories motivated me to make my prints (as mentioned on this week's podcast).

I love the Davies commentary that accompanied Gazza's '91 free-kick:

il_570xN.1130794980_k0ow.jpg

PAUL GASCOIGNE v Woolwich ( FA Cup semi-final digital art print ) :pochsmirk:

That print is brilliant!

I'm in Dublin this week and the Irish pundits after the Serbia game was hilarious. Totally laying into the coaches and slagging them off for ages

Haha you can't beat a good rant

The Norwegian commentators' offering after they beat us in 81 is right up there...

“We are the best in the world! We are the best in the world! We have beaten England 2-1 in football!! It is completely unbelievable! We have beaten England! England, birthplace of giants.

“Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana – we have beaten them all. We have beaten them all!

“Maggie Thatcher can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher, I have a message for you in the middle of the election campaign. I have a message for you: We have knocked England out of the football World Cup.

“Maggie Thatcher, as they say in your language in the boxing bars around Madison Square Garden in New York: Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!”

Back
Top Bottom