Chelsea vs Tottenham. Thursday the 2nd of May. 19:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Once again I don't need to remind you where you thought we finish and what you would have been happy with at the start of the season, you would have bit my hand off if this was offered to you at that point so I don't know why you're moving the goalposts now.

Pretty sure my expectations were clearly stated as top 6 and a cup run, half of which has been achieved. No cup run, fifth despite numerous clubs underperforming and seeing zero on field progress for months isn’t biting anyone’s hand off territory.

I thought we might have a tough season League wise but gradually get better and have hope heading in to next season. Maybe a cup run like with Poch. Instead we’ve had a great start and then got worse. And of course it matters that we started well and finished terribly, the idea is that more time with the coach = improvement, not regression.

Pretty sure my expectations were clearly stated as top 6 and a cup run, half of which has been achieved. No cup run, fifth despite numerous clubs underperforming and seeing zero on field progress for months isn’t biting anyone’s hand off territory.

I thought we might have a tough season League wise but gradually get better and have hope heading in to next season. Maybe a cup run like with Poch. Instead we’ve had a great start and then got worse. And of course it matters that we started well and finished terribly, the idea is that more time with the coach = improvement, not regression.

Guess what though to finish top 4 there's always going to be some teams who underperform, that isn't some sort of anomaly you're making it out to be, very rarely do you get 4 good teams going for the league, there's always in and around those places struggling for consistency.

Well whatever, this is semantics then, we have regressed during the season but we have improved from our position last season.

I think for Ange it’s first or nothing - he isn’t interested in trying to be 4th best - he talks a good talk
Poch had the same view, I remember he said he wants the big trophies, got f all and was sacked.

You've got to start somewhere in any aspect of life, you can't jump the ladder. Even ManU, chelsea & City, the PL title was not their first trophy. If that's his philosophy, he will never make it in the PL and won't last at Spurs.

But it is progress from last season whatever way you want to spin it, it aint Ange's fault that Conte left the club the state it's in, it was his job to pick it up and improve on what he inherited, he's done that.

What you're doing is presenting a different argument, there is a clear regression to the way we are ending the season but it still represents progress in comparison to where we finished last season.

The reason we're in this position is because of our good start, what does that somehow become redundant because of the way we finish or something, does the first 3 months of a season not count just because it doesn't suit a narrative?

Once again I don't need to remind you where you thought we finish and what you would have been happy with at the start of the season, you would have bit my hand off if this was offered to you at that point so I don't know why you're moving the goalposts now.
Which is more important, that we finish higher than we did last season, or the manner in which we finish this season?

For a totally ludicrous scenario, had we won 22 games back to back to start the season, and then lost the following 16, finishing 5th. Would that leave you happy purely by virtue of being a better league position than last year?

We both know the answer is no surely, so somewhere there is a tipping point in terms of the way we end this season as to whether it is progress or not, regardless of the position in the table.

Would a shoeing in each of the Chelsea, Liverpool, and City games begin to concern you at all?

And to be clear, personally my concern over the way things are going hasn't got me wanting Ange out yet.

Not got over yesterday yet but that was a fixture that we do win regularly but this one and Sunday’s are fixtures over the years we do badly and so rarely win. Whether they are playing crap or not( which they are) we just cannot get a good result. It is difficult to see where we will next pick up points with even the matches against the 2 relegation clubs coming when we are devoid of confidence and they will play to get corners and pack our goal and we cannot defend corners. We will need to actually score more goals from open play than they do from corners. only 2 shots on target yesterday being a goal keeper error and a penalty.
The year we lost to Portsmouth in the semi and then beat the Scum is an example that 1 massive result can turn it around but I just cannot see it. Just hope we are not out of it by half time like yesterday. The end of this season is looking as depressing as the end of last season.

Want: Vicario, Porro, Romero, vdv, Emerson, Bissouma, Sarr, Lo Celso, Son, Richarlison, Kulusevski.

Prediction : Vicario, Porro, Romero, vdv, Davies. Bissouma, Sarr, Kulusevski, Son, Richarlison, Johnson.

Don't fancy Davies vs Madueke, or our ability to stop Palmer from getting shots off around the edge of the box. Game should be back and forth, a good watch.

Which is more important, that we finish higher than we did last season, or the manner in which we finish this season?

For a totally ludicrous scenario, had we won 22 games back to back to start the season, and then lost the following 16, finishing 5th. Would that leave you happy purely by virtue of being a better league position than last year?

We both know the answer is no surely, so somewhere there is a tipping point in terms of the way we end this season as to whether it is progress or not, regardless of the position in the table.

Would a shoeing in each of the Chelsea, Liverpool, and City games begin to concern you at all?

And to be clear, personally my concern over the way things are going hasn't got me wanting Ange out yet.

Obviously it's a concern but I'm not going to discount the first half or 3 months of the season and take the last part in isolation to sum up our entire season.

We had top 3/4 form in the first part then top 6/7 form in the 2nd part, the truth lies somewhere in the middle where we are right now, you're right I want to see some good performances in the next few matches.

Whatever happens it can't be more of a clusterfuck than the home fixture, right?

Right?

image.png

The dogshit displays will continue up to that Man City game, which for no reason at all, they will turn up for - it is destined.

For this one, I'd say play Son as striker, Maddison super deep and mix up the midfield once more to be ineffective as possible. Fuck up every set piece we get and give them space at opposition corners. The largest Chelsea defender should be unoccupied and given the freedom to block Vicario everytime. Team talk done.

We will lose this and Liverpool 100%. Don't have the minerals for either and Chelsea / Poch need a morale boost - we are going to be only too happy to oblige as usual.
Next.

Invisible dart thrower will start and then we will all pretend to be shocked when he is non existent. We will lose of course but I'm not sure if it will be by 2 or 3 (or even more).

Tbh if we roll over to an inexperienced chelsea team then there has been no progression of this club the last 30 years. Just a new stadium.
Correct and right - in my 35 years supporting this club I have seen one win at that shithole, its impossible to go into any game there with any confidence whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom