Chelsea vs Tottenham. Thursday the 2nd of May. 19:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s the social dynamics of in-group vs out-group bias. Arse, Chavs, Spam, ManUtd, Pool all have a pecking order where they respect one another (Arse and Chavs regard themselves as worthy equals, West Ham accepts that they are a level below this and therefore are unthreatening to the status quo behavioral dynamics). We are outside of this group and so suffer them and their fans (including the refs and league officials) subconscious bias against us. It’s the same dynamics as playground bullying.

Add in the money/profit dynamic self -interest angle and you have perverse incentives that reinforce this behavior in a feedback loop.

200w.gif

But that's literally the comparison though :confused:

You want to compare him to Conte, go ahead but that's not my argument.

The point when I said "Getting 5th was progress" was that it was progression from when we finished 8th last season.
does it need to be the direct comparison year on year for final placings ? For example only 2023 v 2024 counts ?

If a literal comparison of the final ten games that will soon be possible if that is the metric.

2023 was

D,W,L,L,D,L,W,L,L,W = 10 points

2024 so far
W,D,W,L,L , x x x x x = ?

Lets see. We won’t finish lower than 7th. We might well get 6th. We have not yet got 5th. So on that measure. We won’t equal the cluster fuck of last season. Which is of course progress.

Last edited:
No rebuttal of any sort just straight ad hominem. With such a leading question though, John, I didn’t expect much from you, and haven’t been disappointed either.
You're talking nonsense mate. It doesn't even merit a rebuttal or counter argument.
There is no conspiracy. Subconscious or otherwise

Last edited:
does it need to be the direct comparison year on year for final placings ? For example only 2023 v 2024 counts ?

If a literal comparison of the final ten games that will soon be possible if that is the metric.

2023 was

D,W,L,L,D,L,W,L,L,W = 10 points

2024 so far
W,D,W,L,L , x x x x x = ?

Lets see.

It doesn't but that's the narrative I'd like to pursue, you're free to pursue a different one ;)

Subconscious bias is not the same as a conspiracy, John. A conspiracy actually implies conscious action and participation. I’ve not suggested that was the case.
Well that's even more conspiratorial then, isn't it. Like some kind of unconscious brainwashing is at work to prevent us winning anything for the last couple of decades. Making officials give big decisions against us.
This conversation is getting really weird, man

Subconscious bias is not the same as a conspiracy, John. A conspiracy actually implies conscious action and participation. I’ve not suggested that was the case.

Beyond pop level psychology you have no evidence for subconscious bias specifically against Spurs. We have objectively not been on the end of more wrong decisions than other clubs over the years.

There are lots of clubs with fans who feel the same way as ours. Wolves fans probably currently feel like the PL is against them somehow. Maybe there’s a Wolves fan right now arguing that it’s because of subconscious bias.

The problem is that you have an idea in your head (officials are biased against spurs and fans hate us more than anyone else) and that idea is leading to confirmation bias. Every poor decision = more proof. Every decision for us = ignored. Every 50/50 against us = stonewaller and proof of bias.

It’s not rational, reasonable, or even something you can argue against because it is based on feeling rather than any facts. You know there are lots of fans of other clubs who think we get specifically lucky with decisions? Yeah, because confirmation bias and tribalism!!

None of which will change your mind. You’re set on the idea of subconscious bias against us, nothing will change that. Any kind of rebuttal (including this post!) is pretty pointless because you can’t disprove a baseless theory.

Well that's even more conspiratorial then, isn't it. Like some kind of unconscious brainwashing is at work to prevent us winning anything for the last couple of decades. Making officials give big decisions against us.
This conversation is getting really weird, man
You wanted theories as to why we might believe it was happening- I gave you mechanisms which would explain it.

Conclusively proving this would be a chore though and I have better things to do. Besides what’s the point when the club isn’t really showing top level ambition anyways?

The constant derision and doubt over this issue is annoying though- the least you could all do is admit as being in the realm of possibility. Psychology is not ‘pop psychology’- plenty of experiments like the Stanford Prison Experiment confirm these phenomena to be true.

It feels like you’re both just mean-spirited people who enjoy belittling others.

Talking of conspiracies, anyone remember when Romero grabbed cucurella's hair locks and hauled him to the ground right in front of the referee.

He ignored it, so did VAR, and we scored from the resulting corner depriving them of 3 points :roflmao:

That was so funny.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8RwdYYWng

So we got away with one? If he’d been red carded as he should have been it would have at least fair- you seem to be implying that it’s some kind of universal proof rather than just a single instance. Not every decision has gone against us, we do more often than not seem to end up on the wrong side of key decisions though.

It’s a game of fine margins though, and these seemingly small events are more impactful than many think.

We know how this game ends. Again the myopic will choose to see it differently.

It's not even that we are playing that badly but we ship goals and there is no apparent remedy at the present time.

And on Thursday we will do so again

Back
Top Bottom