Chairman's Message

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because of our so-called fans. Most of them haven't got a clue how to support the team properly. For me going to the game is about singing for the team, cheering, clapping, having a go at the oppo, (within reason, I don't go for all the nasty Wenger/Campbell whatever stuff).

I found more and more I was getting into 'arguments' with our own fans, it was getting to the edge of violence at times, and I'm not interested in that, but of course at the time I won't back down. So it's just not worth it for me. I grew up watching in Spurs in the 60s, and I'm a creature of the terraces. I was never a hooligan though, but to me football now in the UK is sterile far too often, which is why I love 1882, which is trying to do something about it. The lane is over policed by stewards, the fans in general outside a few sections are more interested in sitting and moaning than standing and singing, etc, etc. Also of course, I'm getting on a bit, and it gets harder to drag yourself out the house on a cold winter's day than it does when you're a kid/young man. I used to think nothing about getting up in the early hours to go to some god-forsaken northern outpost in the 60s/70s, it'd take a helluva lot to get me doing that again :)

Incidentally, last night I hear it was much more fun and like 'old times'. Maybe there was a different supporter profile last night, maybe people just decided football could be fun again, I dunno.

Maybe IF we ever get a new stadium and a different fan profile attending it, I'll start going again. Naturally, assuming I'm still alive, I'll go to the stadium once at least, just for the 'novelty value'.
You will agree, this is not unique to The Lane. Its endemic throughout the majority of football today!

Between 1990/91 and 2000/01 our BEST league position was 7th and much of the time we were in the bottom half of the table

Since 2004/05 (with the exception of the Ramos years and aftermath), our worst position has been 6th and typically 5th.

So I really cannot accept your repeated line that we are not better off under ENIC where the league position demonstrates that we are.

If you felt that going back to the 90's would not be much worse - I doubt if many (if any) would agree with you.

Of course things are far from perfect, but at least give them their due there HAS been a significant improvement than the decade before they took control.

In the 13 years before ENIC took over, we won two trophies, the FA Cup and Lge Cup. In ENIC's 13 years we've won one Lge Cup. That's not improvement, that's regression. We were the second biggest club in London, now we're the 3rd. That's not improvement, that's regression. We were 4th in the trophy table now we're 5th. That's not improvement, that's regression. In the 13 years before ENIC our highest lge position was 3rd, (1990) under ENIC it's 4th. That's not improvement, that's regression.

And what other club hasn't spent a penny net on players for the last 3 years, and only £6m in the last 5 years. This is not to mention the fact the vile little man tried to move us to East London, and sacked a manager for finishing 4th twice and getting us to the CL quarter final. He is the clubs cancer, and needs removing.

alternatively, he stood 100% behind his manager when the manager was in court in a high profile tax case. The same manager had barely gotten off the court building steps when he offered his arse to the FA over the england job, and the same manager that has since admitted that he asked an opposition manager if he fancied being his assistant with england and that he took his eye off the job he was being paid to do, he was so desperate for the england job. who, on not getting the england job, was suddenly ready to discuss a new contract (with, I assume, a big fat pay rise).

BnhHXveIMAAJuFn.jpg

I don't particularly blame bagpuss for wanting the England job. He's an old school fella & that would have been the pinnacle of his career. The media all but had him in the England blazer too. In the end his greed fucked it up for himself & then he had to embarrassingly do a U turn but by then levy had the excuse he needed. I think it was publicly know that the 2 didn't get on. Our chairman has a history of falling out with managers

I don't particularly blame bagpuss for wanting the England job. He's an old school fella & that would have been the pinnacle of his career. The media all but had him in the England blazer too. In the end his greed fucked it up for himself & then he had to embarrassingly do a U turn but by then levy had the excuse he needed. I think it was publicly know that the 2 didn't get on. Our chairman has a history of falling out with managers
I don't either (and I wish he had got it), I'm critical of the way he went about his business.
Compare the approach taken by Redknapp to the one taken by Woy.
Publicly, Woy said he wasnt interested in the job. Clearly, he was, but it never affected his work at west brom. I think Redknapp was so convinced it was his to turn down, he just forgot about us and thought he was treading water and marking time at WHL. No matter how professional the players,they must notice this....and it clearly affected them.

[QUOTE/]="Greaves357_bestever, post: 550491, member: 3783"]Fair comments. Probably lge positions are a better indicator of progress, but often they don't feel like it. We've just sacked a manager with the best lge win record in our entire lge history, and he was called a know nothing, etc by many of our fans. So it's all a bit confusing ...[/QUOTE]
Yeah It does seem a bit hypocritical to deem league position the best judge of progress yet chastise our manager whilst doing well in the league. Id say again its more down to the quality of the squad he took over. Id say this is the best squad we have had in my memory, not the best 11 but the most quality in our squad. I dont think it feels quite as glorious as it should due to the fact we arent playing sexy football, and the signings we made in the summer havent hit the ground running. I think as long as the next manager can demand some respect and conducts himself a bit better in interviews he has a bloody easy job taking over this squad.

I think Redknapp could have gone about it very differently, like you I don't blame an Englishman wanting the England job, no issue with that at all. But with Levy being Levy, all he needs is an excuse and that was a good one, did Redknapp need to be fired, no would be my view.

He needed a slap on the wrist for the Prem collapse finishing 4th not 3rd, the England job and the court case, but he had achieved so much with us in terms of development, it was the end of the season, we could have continued pushing forwards next year. I just think Levy feels he needs a manager who is good at his job but also a lacky to him and Redknapp ain't that. I guess only Redknapp and Levy really know the full reasons.

I suppose we all would have forgotten Redknapp if Levy hadn't put that plonker AVB in charge, with his shit football. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if Martinez had been gotten instead, things might be very different at Spurs right this moment, we probably wouldn't be talking about Redknapp, AVB or Tim.

I don't think Levy cares if you trust him. He runs the club you support - and he will do as he sees fit, whether that be best for the club, for him, or for ENIC. We have no say. If Stratford would have led to increased revenue, better players and regular Champions League football, I suspect we may have had some selective memory loss. I'd like to think not, but success and results tend to shut most people up. City are cunts, run by cunts, pumping excessive amounts of money into the game and their club, and they are one bloke walking away from being insolvent - yet their 'fans' are delirious.

Re DoF - Bayern Munich have always had a structure in place of a similar ilk. Any players the manager wants have to be agreed by the club. Does 'the club' want/need that player? They wouldn't sign 6 attacking midfielders just because Pep wanted them.

To digress slightly, Pep (and nor Jupp before him) wasn't allowed to bring in his own youth team coaches. They work with the ones in place or don't take the job. The kids, throughout all age groups, have a structure and consistency. This model should be repeated throughout Europe, yet we are endlessly leaving our kids with a new man in charge every time the first team coach is sacked. I personally feel that is madness.

You're probably right that the majority of the fans would have swallowed Stratford if it meant success, but not all of us, and not me- I can assure you of that. I agree with what you wrote about City but in my book buying the league title is not as bad as moving the team outside of the their traditional territory.

I know the DoF model is popular at various clubs abroad, some of whom are successful. I still don't think it is right for England though, where the best managers typically want more freedom.

I suppose we all would have forgotten Redknapp if Levy hadn't put that plonker AVB in charge, with his shit football. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if Martinez had been gotten instead, things might be very different at Spurs right this moment, we probably wouldn't be talking about Redknapp, AVB or Tim.

Plonker? Shitty football? Seriously, last season we played beautiful football, we had the most attempts on target of all PL clubs and the only reason why we didn't came into the top four was sloppy using of these chances (remember Defoes chance against City). For sure, that game was centered on Bale but look at Barcelona and Real, aren't they dependent on Messi and Ronaldo aswell?

I don't know, bit my expectations for that season weren't high. I knew that it would be hard to replace Bale, it would be hard to implement all these new players and I knew it would be hard to get to the top four this season.
In personally hoped Levy would recognize that aswell, regarding this as a transition season with a lot of changes in quality and quantity of the squad. Thus giving AVB a bit more time (I don't think we achieved with AVB than with Sherwood).
And I still blame Levy for his impatience, not only regarding AVB. Firing Redknapp because he missed the CL besides finishing fourth was a joke aswell, and although I don't like 'Arry as a person he was a decent manager. Levy has to learn to be more patient, because we have to be a sustainable club not only in finances but also in structural and personal ways.

Plonker? Shitty football? Seriously, last season we played beautiful football, we had the most attempts on target of all PL clubs and the only reason why we didn't came into the top four was sloppy using of these chances (remember Defoes chance against City). For sure, that game was centered on Bale but look at Barcelona and Real, aren't they dependent on Messi and Ronaldo aswell?

I don't know, bit my expectations for that season weren't high. I knew that it would be hard to replace Bale, it would be hard to implement all these new players and I knew it would be hard to get to the top four this season.
In personally hoped Levy would recognize that aswell, regarding this as a transition season with a lot of changes in quality and quantity of the squad. Thus giving AVB a bit more time (I don't think we achieved with AVB than with Sherwood).
And I still blame Levy for his impatience, not only regarding AVB. Firing Redknapp because he missed the CL besides finishing fourth was a joke aswell, and although I don't like 'Arry as a person he was a decent manager. Levy has to learn to be more patient, because we have to be a sustainable club not only in finances but also in structural and personal ways.

Levy ain't gonna be more patient unless we get a name like FDb who is hard to sack and would make his position untenable if he did, levy is on thin ground with most spurs fans at the moment.

I think Redknapp could have gone about it very differently, like you I don't blame an Englishman wanting the England job, no issue with that at all. But with Levy being Levy, all he needs is an excuse and that was a good one, did Redknapp need to be fired, no would be my view.

He needed a slap on the wrist for the Prem collapse finishing 4th not 3rd, the England job and the court case, but he had achieved so much with us in terms of development, it was the end of the season, we could have continued pushing forwards next year. I just think Levy feels he needs a manager who is good at his job but also a lacky to him and Redknapp ain't that. I guess only Redknapp and Levy really know the full reasons.

Agree 100%. Whatever Harry did wrong that year, he deserved one more season to make amends, considering how far he took us. I think this about Levy as well (that he wants a lackey) hence tends to prefer younger, upcoming managers that he can control rather than experienced managers. He only turned to Harry in a crisis and got rid of him as soon as he realistically could.
In Tromso I was having lunch in a restaurant on the table next to Levy on the day of the game. During the meal he was on the phone to AVB discussing what the team would be. This to me says the popular perception of him as someone who would rather manage the team himself is correct. How many managers would put up with this?

In the 13 years before ENIC took over, we won two trophies, the FA Cup and Lge Cup. In ENIC's 13 years we've won one Lge Cup. That's not improvement, that's regression. We were the second biggest club in London, now we're the 3rd. That's not improvement, that's regression. We were 4th in the trophy table now we're 5th. That's not improvement, that's regression. In the 13 years before ENIC our highest lge position was 3rd, (1990) under ENIC it's 4th. That's not improvement, that's regression.

You are very selective with your stats. Take a decade before ENIC took over and your entire 'argument' collapses..

Suggeat you look at the quality of the squads in the '90's, compare it to thiose in the last 5 or so years.

If you just don't like ENIC why not say so rather than make up specious arguments ?

You are very selective with your stats. Take a decade before ENIC took over and your entire 'argument' collapses..

Suggeat you look at the quality of the squads in the '90's, compare it to thiose in the last 5 or so years.

If you just don't like ENIC why not say so rather than make up specious arguments ?

Why defend failure, we need to see silverware to feel the love.
The 90's was another planet , as music is Grunge, Britpop.
The teams were arguably not as good but the 91 FA winning
side with Gazza, Lin, Stewart Mabb, Thor ,was better than today, also the 94
side with the famous 5. They were not so consistent but on their
day they could raise themselves to a higher level than today and
were far more entertaining in a swashbuckling bravado way.
. We can all be selective..
As " Glory " is not a buy product of the ENIC ethos, I passionately say
I have no time for their Laconic regime.
As they say "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia "

Brighton had to move mountains . They nearly folded, had nothing . There fans were a beacon and
put ours to shame with their determination and resolve through there dark days.
There battle overall was far greater than ours.
The difference was the owners/fans wanted it .

Didn't they have wait years for the government to rubber stamp their planning permission.......the exact same situation as the one spurs are in now......

Yes it was a massive battle for them , but my point from hardly any resources they
delivered. Spurs have had many options , far stronger club financial position, billionaire owners,
fan base etc, but a decade of penny pinching, others have talked the talk.

Why defend failure

Because our failure is a consequence of running a football club within its means, yet still pushing the boundries of the "also rans"...

You belittle the efforts and importance of being self sufficient.

It makes me sick to hear commentators and neutral fans talk about City as some minnow underdog, doing it the "right way" against all odds, and breaking the monopoly etc.

From 3rd division to two times PL winners in a decade and over a billion of someone elses money spent, and a free stadium given to them by the government.....yippeeeeeee, what a great success story.

When Spurs finally reach our rightful place again, some fans will shed tears of pride, but I guess some will just bitch about how long it took compared to "big club" Chelsea etc....

Sad.

(First post, please be nice!)

I have to say that I am a Levy supporter. Not everything he does makes the most sense to me but, then, I suppose there are a lot of things behind the scenes that I don't fully understand. I'd have liked to see Tim get a crack at a full season at the helm as I think he'd have been able to get something positive out of the lads. That said, there was clearly a reason that Levy doesn't want Sherwood as manager and I have to trust that he has the interests of the club at heart (and, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, he has done everything to show that to be the case).

The one really valid criticism that I might have for Levy is that he doesn't provide us with a clear direction as a club. When we made all that money in the summer, we brought in very young talent: Lamela, Eriksen, Holtby etc are all under 25 years old. We have some very talented youngsters developing and getting first team chances (I mean, young Harry Kane has been as effective in his matches as Soldado has been!) so things look promising for the future. I'm actually quite alright with allowing those players to develop under the steady hand of a single manager for 3-5 years and accepting that we'll be playing Europa League football during that time with the expectation that once these young talents start to really hit their stride as players, we will then get to see Champions' League football for Tottenham. Levy, however, seems to want to have his cake and eat it too. Ambition is great, but we have to look at what we have. We are gifted with a wealth of young talent but that talent needs time to develop. Either that, or we need to start restructuring to bring in players who are in their prime. IMO, we can't afford to try and play the Real Madrid/Man City game of buying the best players in their prime, so we need to look at developing our young talent at the club so that in 3-5 years' time, we will have a title contender. That also means, then, that we need to stop selling our top talents whenever anyone comes along with a big fat chequebook.

Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom