Capital One Cup; Home to Woolwich..

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well then its a good time to start aiming higher?
Did you not see Man City's line-up? Glory has to mean trophies; the League Cup would be a damn good one to win for our club. Aims and objectives should be realistic. Are you hoping for the Title this year?

The ten/fifteen minutes of "An A.rsenal fan, on a string" was glorious last night.
What I loved about that was looking towards the Exec boxes in the East Stand, and seeing people there going mental, joining in, including toddlers and well-dressed ladies singing, dancing and giving it some welly! Wonderful stuff!

You think the fanbase isn't the reason for the clubs existence? Try running a club without fans, good luck

Being essential for success or survival does not equate being the reason for existence. The fanbase is important for a club, no doubt, keeping them happy is important. But setting aside, or obstructing, long term goals to satisfy parts of the fanbase short term would obviously be bad for the club in certain scenarios.

One such scenario can be investing heavily in the transfer market and postponing building a new stadium. Another can be not giving the squad players competitive games, while burning out the first team, to increase the chances of getting one up on your rivals reserves in the least important tournament.

Did you not see Man City's line-up? Glory has to mean trophies; the League Cup would be a damn good one to win for our club. Aims and objectives should be realistic. Are you hoping for the Title this year?

Personally I found setting group stage records and beating reigning champions in the CL more glorious than beating Leicester in the league cup final in '99.

Trophies are nice, but participation in the CL beats the league cup trophy in pretty much every possible way, imo.

And the probability of getting a top 4 position is higher than that of winning the league cup.

Being essential for success or survival does not equate being the reason for existence. The fanbase is important for a club, no doubt, keeping them happy is important. But setting aside, or obstructing, long term goals to satisfy parts of the fanbase short term would obviously be bad for the club in certain scenarios.

One such scenario can be investing heavily in the transfer market and postponing building a new stadium. Another can be not giving the squad players competitive games, while burning out the first team, to increase the chances of getting one up on your rivals reserves in the least important tournament.

Any other team in this comp I'd agree.
Woolwich, at home, under the lights. Should have been full squad and no questions about that.
Anyone who disagrees or agrees with Poch's selection then clearly doesnt understand the importance of games against the nomads and should really find another team to support.
Pro players should be able to play 2 games a week. Rest them in the summer.

In ten years time I will remember this game and be angry at Pochettinos for his selections. Don't ever play a weakened side against the scum, you absolute moron.

Lloris played against Qarabag for fucks sake, and he puts him on the bench for our biggest game so far this season? No excuses!

Ah yes, the season that we were in Champions League and got to QF. That game took place a week after one and a week before another CL tie. I was at the match and I can't recall ANYONE moaning about the team selection. In fact, the crowd were singing right to the end of a defeat (not helped by some barking penalty decisions).

Europa is different, I'd expect a very strong team for tomoz.

I was there, and although I was singing throughout the game, I was fuming about his team selections both pre match and post match.

Last edited:
Woolwich, at home, under the lights. Should have been full squad and no questions about that.
Anyone who disagrees or agrees with Poch's selection then clearly doesnt understand the importance of games against the nomads and should really find another team to support.

Resting the keeper 7 weeks into a new season..............:pocheyes:

It's obvious Poch cared little for this season's COC. I just hope he can put the time he gains from not playing the extra matches to good use.

Admirable and as restrained as your point is, there are two glaring things about your post... one, the liklihood of us finishing above them are slim, seeing as we haven't managed it once in the last few decades... so that would mean a cup run (and knocking them out in the process) would've been quite sweet...

Having said that, losing to them in a league game doesn't mean we can't finish above them by the end of the season (as they have proved time and again) but beating them in the cup, means they CAN'T win that cup...
and like last year, once we've lost to them in the cup, we can only watch on in horror as they progress through the rounds, and we know we were in a position to do summit about it right at the start... but once again have blown that chance!
How can I not agree with this, you are correct. However we are at this point, the morning after and I need to be positive and look forward.

I find myself thinking, and maybe even saying, that certain people should find another team to support, so I can't really fault you for that.

Personally I see myself as someone who supports the club more than I loathe others. I support the chairman, the manager, and most of the time all the players (even though I think some of them would probably be better off somewhere else). I even support most of our previous players, like Gomes, Huddlestone, Kranjcar, Corluka, even Bale and Modric. I hope Livermore wont have to suffer a (long) suspension, I hope Jenas does well in his new career, I hope Redknapp is ok and that Sherwood does well for Villa. To me, that's what being a supporter is.

Others seems to hate the club, pretty much all the players, the manager, and most of all the chairman. But they want us to play full strength in the second round of the league cup because it's against Arse, so they are better fans than me. Ok. If that's how people wanna see what it's about being a supporter, then go ahead. To me that's bullshit, but ok.

It boarded on a thrown game, the light of which we haven't seen since Redknapp days. Gutted for yesterday and for the future if this is how Poch is going to treat cups. Same stance for the FA Cup?! How far will we get in the Europa before it becomes an annoyance?

We've barely won anything for a generation, we can't pick and choose.

I guess the clue to yesterday's attitude was in the ticket pricing.

There was talk last season of Vorm having a stipulation saying he must be played in cup games? Was there any evidence or proof of this?

There was talk last season of Vorm having a stipulation saying he must be played in cup games? Was there any evidence or proof of this?

I imagine not considering we dropped him like a bad habbit for the cup final after he helped us get there.

I think as fans we have every right to be a bit upset with yesterday. We wanted more than anything to beat Woolwich, I'd take a 5 - 0 thrashing from City on Saturday if it meant going back in time and starting our full strength squad. Woolwich is our biggest game, even if it's in the Diddy Kong cup. If Ledley King was told he could be fit for that one game, a game where he could truly humiliate our biggest rivals, but he may never play again after, he would be there, Badge on his Chest, Fire in his Heart.

We needed to win that. Because now I wouldn't be surprised to lose 2 in a row, and with the first being against our closest rivals, in a dressing room who know how important that game is, the mood will be very low. That is unforgivable and could put us in a dreadful spiral, just for the sake of "resting" professional athletes.

I once played 5 a side 7 nights in a row, I was 20, and fairly unfit. But by the end of the last game, I'd have played another. I played better with each game because momentum carried us and my legs got used to it. I'm not comparing myself to professional athletes. But if a fucking sloth like me can play 7 games in 7 nights, our boys can play 3 games in fucking 6. Especially Hugo.

Disagree with the people coming on here blaming poch this a marathon not a sprint is not being able to play two games in a week but can you do it for the season with the same line up your the same guys talking about kane and dier being burnt out you guys are just mad becuz we lost to Woolwich but if beating Woolwich in the league cup first round is your overall ambition well thats not good enough look on Woolwich team yesterday they had as much changes as us and by the way didn't we dominate most of the game I think so we were just a bit unlucky and this happens sometimes in football

Hey so we're going to smash city this weekend then right? That was the plan all along!
tumblr_mt7rx6Q7cF1se17lto1_400.gif

Hey so we're going to smash city this weekend then right? That was the plan all along!
tumblr_mt7rx6Q7cF1se17lto1_400.gif

But if we lose against City it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat Poch with. It's football, a game between 22 humans where mistakes are made. We had the same chance losing to them lost yesterday with our full strength. Just imagine if we did play full strength and lost. What would be the excuse then? Anyway, I'm not starting all this again. This thread should have died when our cup hopes did. Poch and the players have moved on to Saturday and that's where our focus should now be.

Back
Top Bottom