Brighton Vs Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I live and work in Ipswich. The Old Farm derby makes some sense as it takes the rivalry to county level. They've always been rather similar in stature and regularly play most seasons.

El classico is the big match the biggest most needle match. They can be derbies but not necessarily so. DERBIES need locality and a bit of history. The nld is a classic or the old firm or the Merseyside. They call the Liverpool man u a Derby but its more a classico.

El classico is the big match the biggest most needle match. They can be derbies but not necessarily so. DERBIES need locality and a bit of history. The nld is a classic or the old firm or the Merseyside. They call the Liverpool man u a Derby but its more a classico.

I suppose the word derby is quite vague and you could apply it to el classico if you wished they are predominantly the best two in Spain and it is a genuine 6 pointer , I wouldn't call el plastico is just a sky thing that's only gathered any traction in the last few years it's just a big game cos the fanbases are big but it's very rarely "the defining game" , I could accept people calling a derby tho , Brighton Palace tho is ridiculous palace have loads of clubs near by with similar status it's like Spurs bouncing around the league's for 30 years then deciding Milton Keynes is a derby , I'd never ever call such a game a derby.

It's a slightly odd one but for me it's a derby.

I lived just outside Croydon for a bit with an ex and there it kind of made sense. Not so much the miles but just the transport links and ties that people seem to have to both places. Met a lot who supported one or the other (mostly Palace) Palace don't really have anyone else do they? And Brighton don't get involved in South Coast rivalries really. Nothing in between, both clubs at a similar level over history.

Luton v Watford could be argued in similar way. Definitely a derby also.

It's a slightly odd one but for me it's a derby.

I lived just outside Croydon for a bit with an ex and there it kind of made sense. Not so much the miles but just the transport links and ties that people seem to have to both places. Met a lot who supported one or the other (mostly Palace) Palace don't really have anyone else do they? And Brighton don't get involved in South Coast rivalries really. Nothing in between, both clubs at a similar level over history.

Luton v Watford could be argued in similar way. Definitely a derby also.
I thought Palace had Charlton as well. It's weird for me that Palace hate Brighton more than Charlton and that Brighton hate Palace more than the likes of Southampton and Portsmouth. It's not a Derby, but it's a very tense game. Both sets of fans have all the rights to despise and hate each-other, but they shouldn't call it a Derby.

I thought Palace had Charlton as well. It's weird for me that Palace hate Brighton more than Charlton and that Brighton hate Palace more than the likes of Southampton and Portsmouth. It's not a Derby, but it's a very tense game. Both sets of fans have all the rights to despise and hate each-other, but they shouldn't call it a Derby.

Yep a little bit unusual but if you lived in Brighton then it's a lot easier to get to London, and your line is passing through Selhurst. There are daily links. Southampton and Portsmouth are both on the coast and keep each other warm, but not practical places to get to generally from Brighton.

As for south London for Palace, well Millwall have always most occupied with West Ham and everything. And Charlton have never really been a club that anyone has given a fuck about have they?

a rivalry is not identical to a derby. Man u - pool isn't a derby, neither was Leeds - Chelsea or similar matches.

a derby needs the local element, it needs the set of fans to have casual daily interaction with one another. Monday to be a holiday or a day of grief for the children going to school after the derby.

Back
Top Bottom