Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seeing signs of a truly excellent player here. Still young, still settling in, but got speed, stamina and seems to have a decent football brain on him.

Very confident he’ll be a huge hit for us in the coming seasons.
Yes, but heaven forbid he ever has a game where he doesn't totally shine, or there will be hell to pay on here.

Funny how some players get ripped to shreds after a bad half, and some can play week after week below par and never get called on it.
If he came through the academy and wasn't the most expensive signing then I'd cut him some slack. As it stands, Richarlison and Kulusevski are still better than him in the team, shape-wise, in my opinion. To be honest most of our most expensive signings are more below par than our less expensive signings, and that is why they get slated more.

If he came through the academy and wasn't the most expensive signing then I'd cut him some slack. As it stands, Richarlison and Kulusevski are still better than him in the team, shape-wise, in my opinion. To be honest most of our most expensive signings are more below par than our less expensive signings, and that is why they get slated more.
Funny thought since he seems to have taken Kulu’s place

I’m Kulusevski’s biggest defender but Johnson is way more productive than him in this system atm.

Against Liverpool and woolwich where we will get pressed and might need a player to hold the ball under pressure and carry the ball and us up the pitch, I’d be tempted by Kulusevski RW and Johnson/Werner LW. But right now Johnson is one of the first names in the team sheet

If he came through the academy (WHY?) and wasn't the most expensive signing then I'd cut him some slack. As it stands, Richarlison and Kulusevski are still better than him in the team, (ARE YOU BLIND?) shape-wise, in my opinion. To be honest most of our most expensive signings are more below par than our less expensive signings, and that is why they get slated more.

Yup, Werner is what he is - 7th in the entire league for XG+XA per 90 for anyone playing a minimum number of minutes that he has.

Edit - only one winger above him too

Screenshot-2024-04-03-at-16-19-56.png

Oh ffs.
You DO understand that xG is position and situation specific, not player specific?

So... clinical strikers... such as Son... overperform xG consistently.
While very un-clinical strikers...such as Werner... underperform xG constantly. Just watch the difference between xG of Jackson and Nunez if you need any other proof.

It is not an excuse that "oh, he hasn't scored that much, but his xG is really high" - such scenario (over longer period of time) just indicates their poor finishing and thus reflects negatively on them, not positively.

Oh ffs.
You DO understand that xG is position and situation specific, not player specific?

So... clinical strikers... such as Son... overperform xG consistently.
While very un-clinical strikers...such as Werner... underperform xG constantly. Just watch the difference between xG of Jackson and Nunez if you need any other proof.

It is not an excuse that "oh, he hasn't scored that much, but his xG is really high" - such scenario (over longer period of time) just indicates their poor finishing and thus reflects negatively on them, not positively.

No idea what you are talking about mate.

This is showing his XG+XA per 90 mins relative to other players in the league.

Based on the relatively small sample size of 10 games, he is expected to score a goal or provide an assist nearly 1 time per 90 mins of football played.

No, they're not.

Try watching our games with your eyes open.

Been saying all season that there is a player in there. He gets round the back of packed defences and has improved his crossing.
The last two games have seen early crosses and goals coming from them, two of which panicked defenders into own goals.
Wingers who put in early crosses cause problems for defenders, a problem we have at times. I thuink we have a top player in Johnson.

No idea what you are talking about mate.

This is showing his XG+XA per 90 mins relative to other players in the league.

Based on the relatively small sample size of 10 games, he is expected to score a goal or provide an assist nearly 1 time per 90 mins of football played.

Yes, but xG regarding him means fuck all.

He is poor at finishing, so from for example EXPECTED 10 goals he is able to ACTUALLY SCORE maybe 7.

You have to take his xG with massive discount.
While on the other hand, player like Son can be EXPECTED to score 5 goals based on situations he finds himself in, but ACTUALLY scores 7.

High xG with lower actual goals is NEGATIVE sign, not a positive one.

Yes, but xG regarding him means fuck all.

He is poor at finishing, so from for example EXPECTED 10 goals he is able to ACTUALLY SCORE maybe 7.

You have to take his xG with massive discount.
While on the other hand, player like Son can be EXPECTED to score 5 goals based on situations he finds himself in, but ACTUALLY scores 7.

High xG with lower actual goals is NEGATIVE sign, not a positive one.

I never said it wasn't - in fact, I specifically pointed out that this was a negative for both Timo and Brennan.

The stats I am looking at are related to his goal involvements including assists.

Back
Top Bottom