Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed but helped by the Scum imploding

Well one thing I can give him credit for is getting us top 4 with that shit squad and despite Woolwich doing what they usually do we still had to do our job and we actually beat them to secure top 4, those 4-5 months were pretty fun under him but that's about as good as it got.

Brilliant assessment. Can I add that if not for the shortness of his tenure Pleat deserves a slight bump from steady caretaker because he built a brilliant football team.
If you're talking about the 86/87 team, that was pre-Premier League which is outside the scope of the rankings but yeah that was a great team and it's a tragedy that it was fated to not progress beyond that season but players wanted out, players got injured, players fell out of form and the media got a big scoop on David Pleat's private life.

David Pleat will always be a legend for that team. He might not have won a trophy but he still got a Chas and Dave song:

Brilliant assessment. Can I add that if not for the shortness of his tenure Pleat deserves a slight bump from steady caretaker because he built a brilliant football team.

1986/7 was a great time to watch us with Clive Allen scoring 49 goals and we weren’t even in Europe!

I hope this arsehole never gets another job in football.

Last year, there was a thread where we did a ranking of all the Tottenham managers during the Premier League era. At the time, I felt it was too early to assess Conte but now I can.

Pochettino was top with Redknapp and Jol taking second and third. I discounted trophies and assessed purely on league form. I also made allowances for managers who worked under Sugar or in the early years of the ENIC era when we had less money and resources (Francis, Livermore/Clemence, Hoddle and Graham all went ahead of Mourinho on that basis).

Below these managers were the reliable caretakers like Tim Sherwood and David Pleat who could be trusted with team affairs on an interim basis without causing damage to the club (I'll add Ryan Mason to this category). Conte does not meet the criteria here for obvious reasons.

Conte occupies a somewhat unenviable position between the caretakers and the incompetents like Gross, Ardiles, Nuno and AVB. There is a part of me that would like to place Conte beneath the incompetents because the incompetents at least gave their best but I can't deny the success Conte achieved in 21/22.

That gives Conte a ranking of 12th out of 16. Goodbye and good riddance.
I hope we meet him in Europe sometime and Ange gives him a proper schooling!

Here I was thinking there was going to be news that another club was stupid enough to give him a job.
Stupid? I think you are coping hard about Conte right now. He’s still a very good manager, despite what he did at Spurs (and I think getting top 4 from the position we were when he took over was still impressive). There are far worse managers out there getting good jobs, so why wouldn’t he?

Stupid? I think you are coping hard about Conte right now. He’s still a very good manager, despite what he did at Spurs (and I think getting top 4 from the position we were when he took over was still impressive). There are far worse managers out there getting good jobs, so why wouldn’t he?
He is a good manager, the problem is that bigger clubs won't be going after him due to his style of play and smaller clubs probably won't either because he'll want a shit ton of money to spend which they won't be able to do.

What club do you see taking him?

He's high maintenance, plays dated football, demands a big wage and never commits long term.

The only place I see him going back to is Italy but even then who can actually afford him and afford to back him over there? The last team that spent the kind of money he demanded went into bankruptcy.

What club do you see taking him?

He's high maintenance, plays dated football, demands a big wage and never commits long term.

The only place I see him going back to is Italy but even then who can actually afford him and afford to back him over there? The last team that spent the kind of money he demanded went into bankruptcy.
Italy is also becoming problematic. The most impressive team in generations(Napoli) won the league playing a high tempo free flowing aggressive football. Inter with a young coach got to the European champions league playing on the front foot. They did it with a squad he was so unhappy with he flounce out. Even Italian football is changing on the dinomen.

Italy is also becoming problematic. The most impressive team in generations(Napoli) won the league playing a high tempo free flowing aggressive football. Inter with a young coach got to the European champions league playing on the front foot. They did it with a squad he was so unhappy with he flounce out. Even Italian football is changing on the dinomen.

I think the narrative is changing regarding him. People will look at the job he did with us and say that Spurs were the problem, but if Ange is successful and better what Conte did then that's seriously going to put Conte in a bad light especially if the football is better than Conte served up which we know is will be.

I think the narrative is changing regarding him. People will look at the job he did with us and say that Spurs were the problem, but if Ange is successful and better what Conte did then that's seriously going to put Conte in a bad light especially if the football is better than Conte served up which we know is will be.
Conte wasn’t backed and was lied to by king of the renege so it’s unfair to judge him. Pep wouldn’t finish 4th with relegation plodders like Dier, Hoj, Lloris etc in his 11. His second year was an outcome of the summer failure and all on Levy and his fellow incompetent liars

Glad we’ve got Ange don’t get me wrong but there’s two sides to 22/23

Conte wasn’t backed and was lied to by king of the renege so it’s unfair to judge him. Pep wouldn’t finish 4th with relegation plodders like Dier, Hoj, Lloris etc in his 11. His second year was an outcome of the summer failure and all on Levy and his fellow incompetent liars

Glad we’ve got Ange don’t get me wrong but there’s two sides to 22/23

I'm not going over this again with you because we obviously disagree massively but let's see where we are in a year's time in terms of his manager stock and the narrative surrounding him and likewise for Ange and come back to it.

He is a good manager, the problem is that bigger clubs won't be going after him due to his style of play and smaller clubs probably won't either because he'll want a shit ton of money to spend which they won't be able to do.
Big clubs don’t care about style of football that much. Man City, Barcelona and maybe Assna aside, all other big clubs have had more defensive managers in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom