Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have to give him credit for Mourinho level politics and tricks that I didn't think he had in him. The conversation should be the collapse in this second half of the season and the 5 defeats in 6.

However, the press, every other fan in the country and even the most spineless of Spurs have shifted their focus to how much of a disgrace the "toxic" Spurs fans are. And the biggest joke of all ... "Ange is a winner and deserves better". Fuck right off.

I'm not completely unreasonable. I'm willing to give him a chance... But only if he's willing to look in the mirror and see what he needs to work on in himself.

Yep, 100% agreed. That is next level blame game to shit on fans and everything, after:
- you have delivered 10 points from 10 EPL games;
- you oversaw your squad totally fucking embarrassed and ripped apart within first half of NLD despite having 14 days to come up with solutions to play better and be prepared;
- you haven't got the team to play even 1 (!) game in 2024 well from start to finish (Villa game hardly counts, they played most 2nd half with 10 men and they were dangerous to our goal even on 80th minute while being 0:2 down)
- you have been faced with painfully obvious issues in defending and has seen your coached team to keep 1 (!) clean sheet within 18 (!) games
- within last month, ONLY two goals from attackers in open play came when Liverpool was already 4:0 up; apart from that we either have not scored, converted penalty or saw our defenders score goals, cause in attack there is 0 fucking idea and pointless horseshoe football

After all that to come out and divert blame for doing pathatically shit job - it is borderline outrageous.
Eat an humble-pie and look into mirror before calling others names.

But is it? Not trying to be disagreeable, but how would anyone begin to measure that? There's been a lot of turnover of players, so you can't put it all down to any attitude they carried over. As for the fans, I think they have been very supportive of him. Most games (granted I watch them on TV) the fans sound like they are enthusiastic. Up until recently Postecoglou had turned the press room into a petting zoo. The media has treated him with kid gloves. As for player acquisitions, the front office seems in sync with him or at least he's said that a number of times. There's nothing about Spurs he didn't know when he took the job. The mentality he has to work own belongs to himself.

Is this a serious question?

The mentality of this club is on the floor, from owner to management to players to fans, if there wasn't much evidence of it over the last 30 years or so when we've only picked up 3 trophies since 1991 for Christ's sake.

We obviously lack a winning culture which is a collective issue and since that's happened our fans no longer have the belief of anything this club does, look at the reaction in here over the past few weeks for example our fans have turned on yet another manager in the space of a few weeks.

It's a collective issue that needs addressing from top to bottom, to bottom to top.

We’ve heard far worse from managers before, some of it from our own.

The whole thing is being blown out of proportion IMHO.

We want our players to show some steel and backbone, yet we’re whining about some comments that could be taken either way, said in the emotion of post match where he’s seen his own team’s fans happy to lose and not being quiet about it either.

We need to harden up as fanbase and stop forensically dissecting everything looking for the negative.

Take the medicine and move on!

I doubt Anges comments were aimed at fans. That they were so cryptic leaves them open to interpretation. It invites misunderstanding and all kinds of reactions, angry or otherwise.
Not gonna read through so many pages of pitch-fork hunting, but thank god we still have some sensible posts like these just when I saw it.

I don't know why would we be arguing amongst ourselves, in all honesty, when both Ange and fans are stating facts. Can only hope for when everyone's expectation aligns, we can both see each other's perspectives.

At the moment, hope for some quick bump from someone in the evAngelist thread now.

That would hardly show his fighting credentials.

If he didn't realise that this wasn't going to be a walk in the park when he became our 5th manager in 6 years then I don't know what he was thinking or why he took the job - unless he truly believed this rabble could be turned into title challengers inside of 9 months.

He's staying.
He's also staying cos he's not getting a better job in his lifetime. Should be thanking his lucky stars Levy decided to take a massive risk and hire from that pub league north of the border.

There's nothing about Spurs he didn't know when he took the job.
I like a lot of your post, but this bit? Really? He's learned nothing in an entire season? That's not feasible - and clearly it's incorrect.
What he said last night has echoes of Conte and Mourinho's statements.

The more time that goes by the more I have zero issues with his comments. He said the foundations are fragile and I don’t know how anyone can really argue with that.

We’ve been talking about how mentally fragile these players are for weeks now, and some for years. The fans are at their wits ends and just look at how this place, and I’m including myself, have reacted to recent losses, not even including leading up to this game. I’m not saying that isn’t justified, rather he understandably wants a united front both with the team and supporters.

I take his comments as that he’s just now realizing what a knife’s edge the club sits on, and realizing the scope of work it will take to turn it around.

That sounds like lot of excuses and at least partly mixing up the the causality link.
Or to put it otherwise - you make it sound like he is an outsider with no impact or say in those matters.

But it is his job to either coach mentally fragile players or simply just fucking bin them from playing squad.
Which is precisely what Poch did in his first season. He made changes and literally booted players that he thought would not make it.

NONE of that from Ange at all. Everyone are still in the picture and captain who sulks like a little girl after getting ass-fucked in NLD is still captain, starting and completing full 90 minutes every day of the week.
Player who cannot finish a chance for months in Johnson still starts every game instead of potentially really talented U21 players getting chances.

Ange is one who is in charge of changing that mentality, so those comments are reflections of his own work quality.
Sure, nothing can be changed right away, but everything has been getting progressively worse, weaker and more fragile for at least half a year.

I like a lot of your post, but this bit? Really? He's learned nothing in an entire season? That's not feasible - and clearly it's incorrect.
What he said last night has echoes of Conte and Mourinho's statements.
I think your 2nd paragraph contradicts your first.

He'd been warned about what he was getting into. Twice and by significantly more successful managers.

What did he have a go at the fan sitting behind him about ?
He called him a Fat Aussie Wanker!!

No, I THINK he suggested Ange should throw the game... And Ange took umbridge!

But we threw the games against Newcastle, Arse, Liverpool and Chelsea quickly enough... So maybe the fan was simply implying for 'more of the same please'!

We shouldn't even have BEEN in last night's ludicrous, surreal situation if we'd done the job already on at least ONE of our rivals...

City aren't OUR Rivals, they were Woolwich's rivals for the title... We got to decide their potential destiny, but that's about as big a part as we'll play in the titie race THIS season.

The more time that goes by the more I have zero issues with his comments. He said the foundations are fragile and I don’t know how anyone can really argue with that.

We’ve been talking about how mentally fragile these players are for weeks now, and some for years. The fans are at their wits ends and just look at how this place, and I’m including myself, have reacted to recent losses, not even including leading up to this game. I’m not saying that isn’t justified, rather he understandably wants a united front both with the team and supporters.

I take his comments as that he’s just now realizing what a knife’s edge the club sits on, and realizing the scope of work it will take to turn it around.

I bet he was raging with the performance last night no pressure on them and the team performs again because the seasons basically done.

Over the last few weeks where we have had big games to actually get top 4 they players haven't shown up.

Man needs backing now 5th place more points and more goals then last year without Kane and actually playing decent football is a lot more then most of us thought we'd get.

Next season if he's backed no reason we can't push for top 3 and hopefully pick some bloody silverware up.

The man is something else.

He watches us get slaughtered by all our rivals and doesn't show the least bit of emotion. The crook then watches one of our better performances and comes up with this?

check my post in the match thread a few days ago. I absolutely knew he would play VDV left back, I absolutely knew he would pack the midfield 3, I absolutely knew he would move Maddisons position all in this game. He desperately wanted to win this game above all else and that is because he is a self preserving egotistical fraud. He wanted the world to know that he "absolutely wants to win regardless of circumstances" and he threw the fanbase under the bus and ridiculed us in order to show this.

His moral compass is dodgy as fuck and like I said for a while, the mask (if it hasn't already) will eventually fall off completely.
Good angle in terms of wanting to win this game more than the others and it showed. I don’t think his been fucked off about any of our defeats as it’s part of the process. No point winning one trophy this year if we can’t sustain it in the long term and all that BS! Same with top 4 he scumbed it off for the longer aim of progressing and so on. Well if his seen progress then he needs to go specsavers.

And as much as I despise Mourinho's antics, he would have raged at the press and not the fans about the searing hypocrisy.
People would also do well to remember that this season:

Chelsea fans actively booed their own players on the ball on the last game of the season in the hope that - Everton - a team they have no rivalry with would go down if Bolton won (Chelsea vs Bolton Wanderers at Stamford Bridge).

People would also do well to remember that this season:

Chelsea fans actively booed their own players on the ball on the last game of the season in the hope that - Everton - a team they have no rivalry with would go down if Bolton won (Chelsea vs Bolton Wanderers at Stamford Bridge).
Liverpool fans were more than happy to lose to Blackburn, managed by their hero Dalglish when it would have stopped Utd winning a league.

People act like this situation was unprecedented. It wasn’t and many other clubs have behaved the same way.

Liverpool fans were more than happy to lose to Blackburn, managed by their hero Dalglish when it would have stopped Utd winning a league.

People act like this situation was unprecedented. It wasn’t and many other clubs have behaved the same way.

True I guess though with the age of social media these things are going to be scrutinised and in the public eye more now.

Exactly. And the Chelsea fans weren’t even subtle. It’ll be in an archive or on someone’s VHS somewhere but they were loudly booing their own players as they took possession and cheering when it was lost.

Not just a bit subdued with some standard rival ribbing being sung.

Back
Top Bottom