Advantages the Gooners have been given over the years

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know there's already a "laugh at Gooners" thread, but I think this deserves another one.

I often have arguments with Gooners about how they are given every advantage possible by the League & FA over the years and they always deny it.

I want to make a comprehensive list, obviously Googling it wouldn't make a difference as they have the football media in their pocket.

Off the top of my head, there's Lasagnegate in 2006, conveniently almost our entire squad gets sick the day before the last day of the season with a CL place at stake.

Meanwhile the Goons have the entire media masterbating over their final game at the Original Library even though they'd just had their worst season in years, and "shockingly" our game doesn't get a postponement resulting in us missing out on Champions League football.

(Little side note, Woolwich have one of their own directors on the FA board for years in David Dein at the time, yet no-one in the media questions this conflict of interest?)

Then in 2022 a match between us and the Goons is postponed because the Goons have a player with COVID and a few players out injured and at AFCON, yet we'd got kicked out of the UEFA Conference League for a similar situation not long before.

There's likely many more, including how they got promoted to the top division in the first place.

Im sure all sets of fans will look back and see instances where certain clubs/rivals got unfair advantages. At the end of the day we havent been good enough to get over the line to win trophies and its on us.

Allowed to play for years in the champs league with a pitch which didnt meet the tournaments size requirements.
Allowed to sign Arshavin after the deadline had ended ,as it was agreed in principle.It wasn't ,their director who signed off transfers was in Mexico and couldn't be contacted.
Having a game cancelled(against us because of a covid outbreak in their squad(it was one player)

There's a few for you

Allowed to play for years in the champs league with a pitch which didnt meet the tournaments size requirements.
Allowed to sign Arshavin after the deadline had ended ,as it was agreed in principle.It wasn't ,their director who signed off transfers was in Mexico and couldn't be contacted.
Having a game cancelled(against us because of a covid outbreak in their squad(it was one player)

There's a few for you
That covid game worked well for us. We had loads out for the original date, by the time we played were were about full strength and battered them

Opening fixtures:

2022/24 - Woolwich vs Forest

2022/23 - Crystal Palace vs Woolwich

2021/22 - Brentford vs Woolwich

2020/21 - Fulham vs Woolwich

2019/20 - Newcastle vs Woolwich

2018/19 – Woolwich vs Manchester City

2017/18 – Woolwich vs Leicester City

2016/17 – Woolwich vs Liverpool

2015/16 – Woolwich vs West Ham United

2014/15 – Woolwich vs Crystal Palace

2013/14 - Woolwich vs Villa

2012/13 - Woolwich vs Sunderland

2011/12 - Newcastle vs Woolwich

2010/11 - Liverpool vs Woolwich

2009/10 - Everton vs Woolwich

2008/09 - Woolwich vs West Brom

2007/08 - Woolwich vs Fulham

2006/07 - Woolwich vs Villa

2005/06 - Woolwich vs Newcastle

2004/05 - Everton vs Woolwich

12/20 opening fixtures played at home.

Moreover, if that stretch of opening home fixtures for seven years on the trot isn’t some sort of conspiracy then I don’t know what is.

Opening fixtures:

2022/24 - Woolwich vs Forest

2022/23 - Crystal Palace vs Woolwich

2021/22 - Brentford vs Woolwich

2020/21 - Fulham vs Woolwich

2019/20 - Newcastle vs Woolwich

2018/19 – Woolwich vs Manchester City

2017/18 – Woolwich vs Leicester City

2016/17 – Woolwich vs Liverpool

2015/16 – Woolwich vs West Ham United

2014/15 – Woolwich vs Crystal Palace

2013/14 - Woolwich vs Villa

2012/13 - Woolwich vs Sunderland

2011/12 - Newcastle vs Woolwich

2010/11 - Liverpool vs Woolwich

2009/10 - Everton vs Woolwich

2008/09 - Woolwich vs West Brom

2007/08 - Woolwich vs Fulham

2006/07 - Woolwich vs Villa

2005/06 - Woolwich vs Newcastle

2004/05 - Everton vs Woolwich

12/20 opening fixtures played at home.

Moreover, if that stretch of opening home fixtures for seven years on the trot isn’t some sort of conspiracy then I don’t know what is.

12/20 seems statistically probable.
The thing with London clubs too is their fixtures need to be staggered in a different way to other cities preventing fan congestion, so although 7 home in a row does seem unlikely on a 50:50 chance - I don't think they are quite so randomly generated. The whole seasons calendar needs to be generated in an attempt to avoid us, them and West Ham sharing kick off times for example. Would need to see how many of them are Friday/Saturday/Sunday and which other London clubs were playing at home that week too - then look at their opponents and which of those games have a similar thing (Sunderland, Liverpool, Manchester, Villa etc.)

What would interest me more in terms of "randomly generated fixtures" would be their cup runs since 2004. Feels to me like they get 80% of their FA Cup games at home, and away fixtures against lower league sides.

Back
Top Bottom