Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just want to say I thought Lennon was fucking awesome yesterday. I had hoped Lamela would start ahead of him but that just goes to show we don't always know better than the coaches.

So glad that he scored too. Just like @ffs I love when Lennon scores more than any other player (apart from maybe Dawson).

Now if only Lennon could perform the way he does against Evra and Man Utd in general in every other game, then he would have finally realised his potential !

For me, the biggest improvement in Lennon over the last 12 months is his willingness and effectiveness when it come to the defensive side of the game.

Not only does he consistently track back he also regally picks the ball off an opponent and gets us on another attack.

The only downside is his final ball - but the defensive work he now does for the team easily outweighs that negative for me. Keep it up son.

For me, the biggest improvement in Lennon over the last 12 months is his willingness and effectiveness when it come to the defensive side of the game.

Not only does he consistently track back he also regally picks the ball off an opponent and gets us on another attack.

The only downside is his final ball - but the defensive work he now does for the team easily outweighs that negative for me. Keep it up son.

Your post could be from any year since 2005. The defensive side of his game has been around for a while.

Lennon is totally a confidence player. He needs the encouragement from fans, management and team mates. He also doesn't like playing with niggly injuries, so if he's even slightly injured or feels pain, he doesn't try and play through it, he'll show he's hurt, kind of like Bale when he first got a chance under Harry.

Lennon has been my fav player since he arrived and I think with the right manager who puts an arm around him and instills confidence & relies on him, he is a world beater. No one can deal with his pace and his touch is sublime. I also disagree regarding his deliveries, compare how lethal his deliveries are as opposed to Valencia, Young, Sterling or any number of wingers and you will note that Lennon's delivery has incrementally improved, it's just that he crosses low and like sheep many just regurgitate the nonsense from media pundits.

azza60sr1.png

:lennonlol:

Just posted something in the Lamela thread about Lennon , for me he is the one player that offers us the most - he is versatile and has a true professional mindset. No antics, no whining, not losing focus in pointless arguments but keeping your head up and looking for the ball - always on the move

If i was a coach, he'd be first on the teamsheet every time. Every time he gets the ball in a somewhat decent position, you see the defenders tracking back , worried, shouting to eachother because they know that if you lose him out of sight, you'll be on the backfoot instantly.

We all want players to work hard, show passion and keep their heads and when we have a player like that , he's not even that widely appreciated.

All this praise for Lennon but I'm not seeing it. He still goes missing from games all the time. Even in the united game he was missing a lot of the game. Granted, he was good in that game but the fact that he still went missing is telling to me. I guess I'm just not seeing what everyone else is.

Azza is a peculiar one, imo. :lennon:

I honestly do appreciate him ...
But I also feel that with areas where he is underrated, there also are many aspects where our fans do overate him.

Azza is a peculiar one, imo. :lennon:

I honestly do appreciate him ...
But I also feel that with areas where he is underrated, there also are many aspects where our fans do overate him.
I definitely agree. I know Antonio was comparing Lennon's crosses to Valencia's above. You rarely see Lennon put in a good early cross. I know Valencia is wasteful at times but you used to see Valencia put in beautiful early crosses in to Rooney all the time from the right side. Lennon is good at beating a man to the touch line and getting a low cross away but he takes far too long to get there and it allows the defense to get set and defend it. I completely disagree that the defense panics when the see him receive the ball out wide because he's so predictable. I really wish he'd try to change things up sometimes. That goal against Sunderland last year was beautiful. The goal against the scum in the spring was a result of a fantastic run. He rarely does that those things though and that's why I have a problem with him. He should be so much better and everyone has been saying that for years. Don't get me wrong though, he does work hard though and I do appreciate him.

My honest opinion at the start of the season I thought he was on his way out of the club.
He's changed my opinion on him once more and seems to be proving how valuable of an asset he can be to our team.
All I can say is well done to him for picking up form again.

He's a good winger, exceptional pace, but lacking with his final touch - whether it be a shot or a cross. Too inconsistent for me, and doesn't score enough. His assist stats are very good, but could be far better given the opportunities his pace gives him.

YEAR/APPEARANCES(inc subs)/GOALS/ASSISTS
--Y------AP--G--A

05/06 - 29 - 2 - 3
06/07 - 50 - 5 - 13
07/08 - 42 - 2 - 8
08/09 - 52 - 5 - 8
09/10 - 29 - 3 - 14
10/11 - 49 - 3 - 7
11/12 - 32 - 4 - 6
12/13 - 47 - 4 - 10
13/14 - 15 - 1 - 0

I definitely agree. I know Antonio was comparing Lennon's crosses to Valencia's above. You rarely see Lennon put in a good early cross. I know Valencia is wasteful at times but you used to see Valencia put in beautiful early crosses in to Rooney all the time from the right side. Lennon is good at beating a man to the touch line and getting a low cross away but he takes far too long to get there and it allows the defense to get set and defend it. I completely disagree that the defense panics when the see him receive the ball out wide because he's so predictable. I really wish he'd try to change things up sometimes. That goal against Sunderland last year was beautiful. The goal against the scum in the spring was a result of a fantastic run. He rarely does that those things though and that's why I have a problem with him. He should be so much better and everyone has been saying that for years. Don't get me wrong though, he does work hard though and I do appreciate him.
Bollox - Valencia is hated by Man U because his ineefective crossing.

Lennon is effective even when he is not - The opposition LB has always got to be aware and his defending is second to none. how often is Walker doubled up upon compared to the lb,

I used to blow hot and cold with lennon but the older I've got the more I really rate him. He usually gives 100%

Sometimes he can be a bit predictable but now that his delivery has gotten a lot lot better it doesn't matter if gets showed down the outside as the half a yard is all you need for a cross.

Now that we're getting players in the box its just natural we're hopefully score more.

He must be due a testimonial soon?

Another fucking blinder by Azza, tracked back all day and intercepted lots and was a constant threat going forward with two clear goal scoring opps from crosses and an assist. Should have taken a shot first time though...Azza's our best winger by miles

decent game today but his crossing is still massively hit and miss for me. Seems to hesitate a lot too still. He would be a proper match winner if he took on a shot more often, its almost like he doesn't trust himself,...looks like it anyway, from the outside looking in.

Back
Top Bottom