#21 - It matters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My only complaint

Eriksen or Capoue > Vlad
Since his injury, Capoue has struggled a bit, probably due to not being 100% fit. Hopefully he can return to his initial form, Eriksen has been patchy but lately he has been pretty good. Chirches has the edge given what we expected of him. That said, we really need to see Vlad alongside Vertonghen.

On the Sherwood Woolwich fan bit - I don't remember Redknapp getting any stick about being a Gooner despite openly admitting that Woolwich were the side he used to go to watch as a teenager (which, lets face it - means the club he supported). Not to mention our recent history with George Graham who even has an Woolwich crest on his garden patio.

It's either an issue for all managers / coaches etc, or it's a complete non-issue. I can't see how it can only be an issue for some.

Now I don't think Sherwood is the answer at Spurs but there's no way on earth I'd give him stick over any Woolwich connection, especially since every time I'd seen him speak on TV (even before he rejoined Spurs) he always talked like a Spurs fan.

On the Sherwood Woolwich fan bit - I don't remember Redknapp getting any stick about being a Gooner despite openly admitting that Woolwich were the side he used to go to watch as a teenager (which, lets face it - means the club he supported). Not to mention our recent history with George Graham who even has an Woolwich crest on his garden patio.

It's either an issue for all managers / coaches etc, or it's a complete non-issue. I can't see how it can only be an issue for some.

Now I don't think Sherwood is the answer at Spurs but there's no way on earth I'd give him stick over any Woolwich connection, especially since every time I'd seen him speak on TV (even before he rejoined Spurs) he always talked like a Spurs fan.
It was an issue for Graham, with Redknapp it was ambiguous, Sherwood didn't hide his affection for them. Redknapp went once as a kid, it is not something which he is known for as much as Sherwood was. First thing I think of with Sherwood is gooner, even prior to him being our manager, it is not something that defines Redknapp as much as it does Graham or Sherwood.

In my opinion it does matter but Sherwood is a professional and will give his all for Spurs, he is clearly committed to us.

Last edited:
IRedknapp went once as a kid, it is not something which he is known for as much as Sherwood was.

Aye, he never makes a big deal out of it but... some quotes from Redknapp (all easily found on teh interweb):

"In new Tottenham book ‘Down Memory Lane’, Redknapp said: ‘I’m an Woolwich fan! My dad was Woolwich mad and he took me along to watch Woolwich, so they were the team I supported as a kid."

"I was a big Woolwich fan as a kid"

"My dad was an Woolwich man, my uncle was an Woolwich man. I saw all the greats from my spot on the left side of the North Bank at Highbury."

"Me and my dad were fanatical Woolwich fans"

...add to that his incredible reluctance to refer to the club or fans as "us" or "we" and you've got someone who is far less a Spurs man than Sherwood, who often talked critically of Spurs after he finished playing for us but also made it clear that he wanted Spurs to succeed even when criticising.

I'm not one of those who hated Redknapp, but I never felt he was part of the club. Always a man out for his own glory and reputation above that of the club or supporters. That said, I loved his style of play and the relative success he bought.

Aye, he never makes a big deal out of it but... some quotes from Redknapp (all easily found on teh interweb):

"In new Tottenham book ‘Down Memory Lane’, Redknapp said: ‘I’m an Woolwich fan! My dad was Woolwich mad and he took me along to watch Woolwich, so they were the team I supported as a kid."

"I was a big Woolwich fan as a kid"

"My dad was an Woolwich man, my uncle was an Woolwich man. I saw all the greats from my spot on the left side of the North Bank at Highbury."

"Me and my dad were fanatical Woolwich fans"

...add to that his incredible reluctance to refer to the club or fans as "us" or "we" and you've got someone who is far less a Spurs man than Sherwood, who often talked critically of Spurs after he finished playing for us but also made it clear that he wanted Spurs to succeed even when criticising.

I'm not one of those who hated Redknapp, but I never felt he was part of the club. Always a man out for his own glory and reputation above that of the club or supporters. That said, I loved his style of play and the relative success he bought.
I don't think people knew that and didn't have issues with it, as far as I was aware, he wasn't one to that extent.

I think he's like a lot of managers / players and as soon as they start playing it just becomes a job and alliegance goes to whoever they're working for at the time. That Harry is soooo strongly associated with West Ham created a bit of a smokescreen for his Gooner associations when he joined us but I was amazed it wasn't highlighted more when things started going a bit wrong at the end of his final season.

Anyway, for me he's definitely more of an Woolwich man than Sherwood because Sherwood openly embraced being one of us long before he took up a non-playing role at the club.

Ideally, Sherwood, Redknapp, Adebayor, Gallas or anyone else with gooner leanings wouldn't be part of the playing staff but that's unlikely to ever happen.

Good to have you back, lads, great podcast.

But boy did Chadli get off easy with the discussion of the new boys...

I think it says it all when you have to list the 7 new signings, he is always the one people tend not to remember, as per the pod

He has not been terrible of late though, I think like almost everybody in our squad this season, irrespective of manager or tactics, the inconsistency of performances has been astonishing, Holtby, Chiriches, Rose, Capoue, Eriksen, Walker, Dawson, Paulinho, Townsend and many more, so up and down

Just managed to catch up on podcasts so only listened tonight.

I think it was @ spooky spooky who mentioned that we might be flat track bullies under Sherwood. Under AVB, we played 7 of the other 8 teams in the top 9, we didn't win a single game. We lost 4, drew 3. Scored just 3 goals, but conceded 16. Pretty flat track bully-ish anyway.

Still got half of the pod to listen to on the way home. Listening to the first half this morning on the way to work certainly brightened up my morning commute as it was funny as fuck.

:walker-scream:

Back
Top Bottom