1882 Movement question

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I knew nothing of this forum or the 1882 movement until I took my boy to his first match at WHL in the Europa League and we were in the east upper......still one of the best nights ever at WHL for singing and generally enjoying the match with like minded supporters.

He was hooked for life and still says 1882 should have their own area at the new WHL as win, lose or draw it's about vocally supporting the team and having a laugh. If that was the case I would be going a lot more once were allowed back.

Underhill

Seems such a waste of momentum. Whilst it's unreasonable to think that numbers like this could be achieved for other games, I do feel that because this was so great of an evening experienced by so many that a decent percentage going for the first time would have gone to other games.

1882 was a genuine fan movement that lost it's mojo because it thought its place was with the 1st team. Most, if not all that attened, were already ST's or regulars to watching 1st team football but for many watching the youth teams play was a new thing. At this time there wasn't another club that had this volume of following. Woolwich was embarrassed by us turning up at what was their home game and being outnumbered 10-1, they tried desperately to copy 1882, bringing about 20 to WHL.

Fans loved it, Club loved it, players loved it, yet "we" allowed it to die. Big miss by all concerned.

Cheers. Memory is not what it was.

Brilliant night. shempz shempz was at his poetic best.

600 Yids giving it large at an U18 away game. Only bettered by Underhill in my opinion.
It was a great night. Absolutely hilarious. As was the tube back. One chav tried to sing back and got evicted. Top singing throughout. Chav fans utterly bemused. Should do it again.

Seems such a waste of momentum. Whilst it's unreasonable to think that numbers like this could be achieved for other games, I do feel that because this was so great of an evening experienced by so many that a decent percentage going for the first time would have gone to other games.

1882 was a genuine fan movement that lost it's mojo because it thought its place was with the 1st team. Most, if not all that attened, were already ST's or regulars to watching 1st team football but for many watching the youth teams play was a new thing. At this time there wasn't another club that had this volume of following. Woolwich was embarrassed by us turning up at what was their home game and being outnumbered 10-1, they tried desperately to copy 1882, bringing about 20 to WHL.

Fans loved it, Club loved it, players loved it, yet "we" allowed it to die. Big miss by all concerned.

It didn't help that we started getting regular top 4 & CL football. The club used to love giving us a block for Europa & league cup games. Plus it used to get a lot of TFC podcast fan boys in attendance & when Flav & T stopped going....so did they.

I totally agree though. Opportunity missed. Young fans that couldn't afford first teams games could go and have a cracking day/night out with like minded Yids for a fiver.

It didn't help that we started getting regular top 4 & CL football. The club used to love giving us a block for Europa & league cup games. Plus it used to get a lot of TFC podcast fan boys in attendance & when Flav & T stopped going....so did they.

I totally agree though. Opportunity missed. Young fans that couldn't afford first teams games could go and have a cracking day/night out with like minded Yids for a fiver.
I think it helped the atmosphere with those EL group games with 20k in attendance but I feel in hindsight that the focus went onto those games as opposed to growing the youth team element. Imagine this season what the attendance would be like in the new gaff, come to think of it they could have done with 1882 at Wembley.

If I ran Spurs I would have bent over backwards to accommodate 1882 at youth games, maybe looked at putting on a Bus/Coach. Featuring the support on the OS. Then, come a EL season or a League Cup game at Wembley allow 5k-10k 1882 supporters into a game for free by way of reward. At the new stadium, they will be getting £20 per head on catering that they would have got.

Build our reputation, deepen the relationship with the club and young players. Win/win.

Nutter-Naylor

Supporter
Freudlyuchenko Freudlyuchenko or anyone else about at the time

What was the game we were singing 'on the pitch if XXXX scores' as a joke and suddenly dozens of stewards appeared from nowhere to block the path from the stand to the pitch?

I can't remember who the player was or the match.

The memory of it just popped in my head.

Back
Top Bottom