100% Angeball, or adapt during the game? Which are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your preferred style of play?

• Total voters
//
The game is about glory and being brave our motto
I never saw a more valiant effort then I did yesterday
//

being valiant & glorious is one thing...

being street smart & preserve your foot soldiers to fight another battle is another thing

go out in a blaZe of glory is movie stuff.

Angeball. The idea is constant. But he will use individuals in different situations to achieve an outcome.

Although I don't and I'm sure him and every spurs fan doesn't want to see us going down to 5 men.

We would’ve gotten a point if we had packed it in. Chelsea are an awful club with zero creativity whatsoever, their only strength is pace with Sterling Mudryk and Jackson. There was no way our high line could keep up with those road runners.

I think Ange sacrificed a short term point to prove a long term point to the players about never abandoning the philosophy and that’s fine and I respect him for it.

But let’s not act like it was the best decision to salvage something from the match.
I doubt it. Did you see us try and "pack it in" last season? We don't have the players for it and that was with 11 players on the pitch.

Considering where we currently are in his tenure, as well as the players at his disposal, I would have done the same. We all know how bad some of these players are when we have to invite pressure in a low-block bus-parking session. He had an Eric Dier with 0 minutes this season, plus an out of position Emerson and Hojbjerg in the backline, as well as Porro who wasn't great defensively last year when we had to defend all game and invite pressure under Conte/Stellini

That being said, in the future, once we have a better all round squad and the players are more accustomed to Ange's system, I would like to see a little bit more pragmatism so that we can better get through situations where we inevitably will have less of the ball during a game, whether it be because we're playing city or if we have 10 or 9 men.

But we are talking years down the line here, I'd certainly give Ange this season and even next season to fine tune this team playing strictly attacking football, so that they get more mature when it comes to the movements and instructions

Quote from the above Reddit thread.

'This is why we played a high line with 9 men. It was about the players understanding that we play this way, we will put our bodies on the line for it, and both the manager and the fans will back them all the way to the end for it. It was about imprinting this ‘us against the world, to dare is to do’ mentality in their minds. Reading that our fans stood up and applauded our players after it went 3-1 has me fucking emotional.

It was about making a statement. There will never be a Tottenham fighting for a draw while Ange is at the Lane. I think that statement has been well received.'

I've said in the match thread, if this is how it has to be then I'm ok with it, because I'd rather sacrifice the odd game to look forward to football most weeks, but I'm not going to call what we did last night smart - especially the way we did it.

Considering where we currently are in his tenure, as well as the players at his disposal, I would have done the same. We all know how bad some of these players are when we have to invite pressure in a low-block bus-parking session. He had an Eric Dier with 0 minutes this season, plus an out of position Emerson and Hojbjerg in the backline, as well as Porro who wasn't great defensively last year when we had to defend all game and invite pressure under Conte/Stellini

That being said, in the future, once we have a better all round squad and the players are more accustomed to Ange's system, I would like to see a little bit more pragmatism so that we can better get through situations where we inevitably will have less of the ball during a game, whether it be because we're playing city or if we have 10 or 9 men.

But we are talking years down the line here, I'd certainly give Ange this season and even next season to fine tune this team playing strictly attacking football, so that they get more mature when it comes to the movements and instructions
Really, you would have done what has never been done before.
Gold Medal Good Job GIF by StickerGiant

sorry stopped reading at “I would’ve done the same”

Last edited:
Play without fear go down fighting if we’re short on numbers and get smoked like Monday so what , that eye bleeding crap under mourinho & Conte was hellish and there was no signs that we were going to compete playing that way anyway only exception would be a cup game where we’re in front and 5minuets +extra to go then we calm down a bit and see the game out.

I’m all for Ange ball, nothing better. I didn’t mind the tactics in the second half. But with 15 minutes to go at 1-1 with 9 men Park to bus. We all knew what was coming with that high line. I know we should have equalized, potentially twice. Let’s be real though.

If we play that way over the next few games without VDV and Romero I do worry. Could totally see the subs stepping up with the way this season is going though and slipping right in. Time will tell.

I’m all for Ange ball, nothing better. I didn’t mind the tactics in the second half. But with 15 minutes to go at 1-1 with 9 men Park to bus. We all knew what was coming with that high line. I know we should have equalized, potentially twice. Let’s be real though.

If we play that way over the next few games without VDV and Romero I do worry. Could totally see the subs stepping up with the way this season is going though and slipping right in. Time will tell.
next 3 games will test us, but at the start of the season Man City was a free hit for most(except Man City fans hahaha) so 4 points from 3 is ok you melters.

//
The game is about glory and being brave our motto
I never saw a more valiant effort then I did yesterday
//

being valiant & glorious is one thing...

being street smart & preserve your foot soldiers to fight another battle is another thing

go out in a blaZe of glory is movie stuff.

Sure but this isn't a war. Its a football game where the worst thing that can happen is you lose.

There's a significant element of recklessness in playing Angeball.

There's a significant element of recklessness in the slogan "Audere est Facere".

Angeball = Spurs

It's in our DNA (Definitely Nurture Angeball)

Back
Top Bottom