Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it's fair to say that his body shape has changed just a little in the time that he's been with us.

erik-lamela-of-tottenham-during-the-tottenham-hotspur-training-at-picture-id591304868

Pleased to read he has 3 years left still. No need to panic yet!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Tottenham are reportedly set to offer Erik Lamela a new deal.

According to the Daily Mirror, Spurs are keen to reward Lamela for his recent improved displays and want to secure his long-term future.

The 24-year-old has three years left to run on his current contract.

Talking about reactions, look at Townsend's. If ever there was an example of why he didn't make it in Poch's team it's right there. It's no biggie being nutmegged, but to not even try to get the ball back is shocking. He literally doesn't do a thing.
I first noticed this in Townsend's game in the match v Liverpool where we lost 3-1 (iirc). He lost the ball in their half & just stood there hands on hips whilst Liverpool ran up the other end & scored. He does seem to have a lack of tenacity to regain possession if he's stopped in his tracks which I'm sure Poch would have seen.

Talking about reactions, look at Townsend's. If ever there was an example of why he didn't make it in Poch's team it's right there. It's no biggie being nutmegged, but to not even try to get the ball back is shocking. He literally doesn't do a thing.

In Townsend's defense he needs to turn and catch an already moving Lamela who has likely just created enough space to play whatever simple pass he chooses. When you get destroyed like that there is usually very little you can do other than be disappointed with yourself.

I must have watched it 25 times before realising that he puts it through his legs with his other foot. Brilliant.

Same! I was thinking "its a decent meg, but it's nothing to get excited about, see them plenty".

His game is so casual. you can tell it comes so naturally to him.

I think all his problems with losing the ball in dangerous positions have been well ironed out of him and his confidence has improved and his decision making... when to pass and when to try and beat a man.

Physically he is so much more imposing.

Basically he looks like a player that has had the benefit of near enough three years experience in the prem under a consistent management and coaching regime.

Can only get better, let's pray for no injury and watch him thrive.

In Townsend's defense he needs to turn and catch an already moving Lamela who has likely just created enough space to play whatever simple pass he chooses. When you get destroyed like that there is usually very little you can do other than be disappointed with yourself.
Not for me mate, here is a different angle. Jordan Mutch has had to travel twice the distance than Townsend to put Lamela under pressure. It's not always winning the ball back, but putting the oppo under pressure to play the ball quickly which might result in a miss pass and a chance to regain possession. It's why we press the keeper, very rarely do you see a CF block or win the ball off a goalkeeper but put the keeper under pressure and you will very often see the keepers kick go out of play, or straight to an oppo player, either way possession has been conceded because pressure was put on the player to play it quickly. Townsend should have done that but his attitude was to sulk not to fight.

Now think of Lamela, he loses possession frequently, but he equally wins the ball back almost straight away, he never gives up. Townsend gave up, he's attitude is summed up in that one clip for me. (BTW I always wanted him to stay, as I love his connection to the club, I feel the same about Mason & Carroll).

Not for me mate, here is a different angle. Jordan Mutch has had to travel twice the distance than Townsend to put Lamela under pressure. It's not always winning the ball back, but putting the oppo under pressure to play the ball quickly which might result in a miss pass and a chance to regain possession. It's why we press the keeper, very rarely do you see a CF block or win the ball off a goalkeeper but put the keeper under pressure and you will very often see the keepers kick go out of play, or straight to an oppo player, either way possession has been conceded because pressure was put on the player to play it quickly. Townsend should have done that but his attitude was to sulk not to fight.

Now think of Lamela, he loses possession frequently, but he equally wins the ball back almost straight away, he never gives up. Townsend gave up, he's attitude is summed up in that one clip for me. (BTW I always wanted him to stay, as I love his connection to the club, I feel the same about Mason & Carroll).

I feel if I got megged like that, I'd have just taken a seat on the bench, forget chasing him back. :baletroll:

Back
Top Bottom