Gylfi Sigurðsson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll always be left with that goal against Hull.

SPU1-0HUL.gif

I was sat at the other end for that... Was fuming because the match was pretty shit.

He's had a regular run of games playing in the number 10 role, which I felt he never really got for us and he's seemed to hit the ground running in a partnership with Bony. Don't think it was ever doubted he didn't have the potential or ability, we just weren't the right club at the time for him.

He's had a regular run of games playing in the number 10 role, which I felt he never really got for us and he's seemed to hit the ground running in a partnership with Bony. Don't think it was ever doubted he didn't have the potential or ability, we just weren't the right club at the time for him.
We could have been if we'd really given him a chance.

He gets a lot more space at number ten for Swansea than any opposing team would ever give him were he playing number ten for us. As much as I like the guy as a player, and as much as I thought he could be good for us, it didn't work out for him here.

Why is this do you think?

Because teams don't defend against Swansea like they do against us. How often do you see teams coming to the lane parking the bus and setting up to nick a goal on the break. That doesn't happen as often to Swansea. Ergo, he gets more space.

Because teams don't defend against Swansea like they do against us. How often do you see teams coming to the lane parking the bus and setting up to nick a goal on the break. That doesn't happen as often to Swansea. Ergo, he gets more space.
I meant why do teams defend differently against Swansea? Do they think they've got more chance of a result if the game is more open, or what? Poor teams park the bus at the Lane, I know.

I also think part of it is that he has willing runners and people playing off him. Look at his assists this season. Player 'x' passes into Gylfi and runs, Gylfi takes a touch and flicks into space, 'x' runs onto ball and scores. It's not difficult. But watch him for Spurs, picking the ball up in wide positions and often too deep to be effective. He doesn't have the pace or skill to beat players and slip a striker in, he is far more effective higher up the pitch using speed of thought over speed itself. So many of his assists are with his back to goal, rather than trying to pick a pass through defenders.

Lets be honest, he never got a proper chance as our no.10. The Eriksen signing killed his Spurs career, and well as Holtby's.

I also think part of it is that he has willing runners and people playing off him. Look at his assists this season. Player 'x' passes into Gylfi and runs, Gylfi takes a touch and flicks into space, 'x' runs onto ball and scores. It's not difficult. But watch him for Spurs, picking the ball up in wide positions and often too deep to be effective. He doesn't have the pace or skill to beat players and slip a striker in, he is far more effective higher up the pitch using speed of thought over speed itself. So many of his assists are with his back to goal, rather than trying to pick a pass through defenders.

Lets be honest, he never got a proper chance as our no.10. The Eriksen signing killed his Spurs career, and well as Holtby's.
This is something that always bugs me. When you watch other teams they always score goals like this, and we never ever fucking do! All our goals are pretty similar. Shots from range or free kicks. very rarely do we split a defence or anything like that. Frustrates me so much.

This is something that always bugs me. When you watch other teams they always score goals like this, and we never ever fucking do! All our goals are pretty similar. Shots from range or free kicks. very rarely do we split a defence or anything like that. Frustrates me so much.
Yup. Scrappy goals after the ball pings around the box, bit like Sunday. You never see Adebayor pick the ball up from deep, slip it into Eriksen's feet and get it back straight away, cutting the defence in half.

Maybe what Tucker Tucker was saying has to be considered though - teams sit deeper against us, not leaving the space in behind to make such runs.

Or maybe, our build up play is so slow, uncreative, rigid and predictable that teams are too organised to score such a goal. We are often attacking a team whilst their defence is sat on the edge of their box, or a little deeper, with the midfielders no more than 10 yards further forward. We then don't have the quality to pick a pass, or smart enough movement to allow such a pass, so we resort to long shots, or we get free kicks whilst fannying around on the edge - leading to the goals you mention.

But not enough of them...

Yup. Scrappy goals after the ball pings around the box, bit like Sunday. You never see Adebayor pick the ball up from deep, slip it into Eriksen's feet and get it back straight away, cutting the defence in half.

Maybe what Tucker Tucker was saying has to be considered though - teams sit deeper against us, not leaving the space in behind to make such runs.

Or maybe, our build up play is so slow, uncreative, rigid and predictable that teams are too organised to score such a goal. We are often attacking a team whilst their defence is sat on the edge of their box, or a little deeper, with the midfielders no more than 10 yards further forward. We then don't have the quality to pick a pass, or smart enough movement to allow such a pass, so we resort to long shots, or we get free kicks whilst fannying around on the edge - leading to the goals you mention.

But not enough of them...
but Chelsea and City do it... theres no way teams sit deep against US more than against them.

It drives me mad when I'm watching a game and see Soldado make a great run beyond the defence when we win the ball... only to turn around and see it being passed 10 yards to the side.

but Chelsea and City do it... theres no way teams sit deep against US more than against them.

It drives me mad when I'm watching a game and see Soldado make a great run beyond the defence when we win the ball... only to turn around and see it being passed 10 yards to the side.
That's where my mention of quality comes into it. We either don't have players making clever runs, or players not good enough to spot them and play the ball.

Or both.

It's at that point you need quick, concise passing to open a defence, a real instinct of what your teammates are going to do. It's been a long time since I've watched Spurs and thought that. Berba and Keane, Crouch and Defoe. Nothing seems to come as second nature to our lot, which either means our training regime is shit, or our players simply aren't good enough to apply it on the pitch.

Or Poch cannot coach the sideways passing out of our team from the AVB era!

Back
Top Bottom