New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Sun newspaper reporting imminent Wembley deal. TBF our likely appearance in the CL must help strengthen DL's argument, plus the fact that Chelsea, for all their noise and wealth are going to be nowhere near ready to start building their monstrosity next season.

Can't imagine the FA would really allow us to play home CL games at the MK Dons Arena (with all due respect to MK and all...)

Interesting post from Skyscrapercity regarding safe standing potential at the new lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_Brixton
If 17,000 sitting = 25,000 safe standing ( 1:1.5 ) there's one thing about the comparison I don't understand.

People are still as wide sitting down as they are standing. Therefore the addition space for safe standing must come from depth (saved leg room). That's my problem; Tottenham have said the Stand will have the built in capacity to change modes, but how do you do that when each row/step is deep enough for just one sitting person: isn't the capacity either 17,000 or 34,000 - one person per step/row, or two?
Sorry for the reply to an old post, but I believe this is a common question /misconception. (Plus, I've been intermittentdly scouring the relevant pages from the time of the pdf publications!).

Basically, the norm is two per ordinary seat. Ie: two per tread. So, how do we end up with a different ratio?

How far each venue drops below that 1:2 ratio depends, in a nutshell, on how well designed the extra necessary access, egress, and ancillaries are. When there's more people in standing mode, certain parts of the terrace must adapt to deal with this reality. Hence a small sacrificial loss.

The optimum is roughly a loss of only 0.2. Giving a ratio of about 1:1.8.Conversions in older concourses would be unlikely to get near this efficiency. Good news for NWHL, bad news for those who will be still working with outdated terracing as a base.

Dortmunds Yellow Wall seated capacity is about 14,700, so actually, NWHL will posses the largest kop stand in Europe. It's bigger than the Yellow Wall, if only due to the extra width, but being the same height/depth.

Not only that, but I've previously mentioned that if the tread depth is 780mm (probably 760mm, but entirely possible) and safe standing comes in copying German regs of 260mm per standee, then this stand -as it's not tarting up of an outdated structure with smaller terracing- could legally accommodate 3 per tread. That is certainly a tantalising proposition, and one which would certainly be unique in the PL. A tangible asset over and above other stadia, as well as being bloody awesome!

The lower portion is designed ready for 1:1.8 safe standing at the outset. We know this. What we are seeing in Germany is incremental additions in areas of safe standing at stadia.

We will see safe standing in the PL. I have no doubt about that. The spectacle of it in rival Germany will be the driving factor with the men who sell the PL product. NWHL will effectively be a 65-66k stadium on the day that is passed.

When safe standing beds in I also think that the seated areas of the stand will go entirely to rail seating, as has happened with the incremental increases in Germany. I know some have wondered if the structure could take the weight, but believe me, it most certainly will have been designed with this redundancy incorporated, and then some.

If and when that happens this stadium will see a setting of a new attendance record for Tottenham, well above and beyond the previous 72,000.

Some of the lads on skyscrapercity are getting excited again...
large_camera2.jpg

Apparently that boxy thing just below centre is the first evidence that the build is "going vertical", and those gray things bottom right are more being put together...so instead of a hole in the ground we are now going to have a hole in the ground with lumps of concrete growing out of it...

Unless I'm mistaken the grey box thing is a lift core.

I struggle making a fucking sandwich, looking at the pictures how on earth do you build a fucking stadium??

Its sorcery at its finest, incredible stuff

It's making me worry slightly about every building I step into......having witnessed how easily builders can fuck up something as small as putting in a new plugsocket

Thank fuck I'm not the only one.

It wrinkled my brain when I was thinking about how the fuck they'd start. I keep wondering about how they kept the surface nicely level and how to avoid being even slightly off with the measurements for something so massive.

I can do a bit of basic building but even I've been in situations when building a stud wall where I find myself 12mm out because something wasn't straight..can you imagine getting half a stadium built and finding that because one wall was out by a few millimetres the whole South stand is off by 20 degrees!

The article states how the Emirates is now part of the fabric of the club.

However, it's missing a key point here. Woolwich moved to a place which was not home, which had no name and no history. The club had nothing to hang onto and calling it Highbury would just be strange, as it wasn't.

Tottenham are staying in more or less the exact same place; the same streets, the same pubs close by, White Hart Lane will still be White Hart Lane.

Still strongly believe the fans couldn't care less and will stick to its traditional name.

You are right, the stadium hasn't moved at all so it should stay the same and be known as WHL.

I always thought, Arsenals old ground 'Highbury' was informally named Ars-anal Stadium. Don't know when or where Highbury came form? But it does show that a common/local name is possible if everyone decides it to be. WHL will always be WHL. If everyone decides to use WHL then it will stay, regardless of it official sponsored name.

I struggle making a fucking sandwich, looking at the pictures how on earth do you build a fucking stadium??

Agreed.
I remember going across to the Isle of Wight in the 80s on the ferry going to scooter rallies and being amazed that they had the know how to build forts in the middle of the sea in the early 1800s.

You are right, the stadium hasn't moved at all so it should stay the same and be known as WHL.

I always thought, Arsenals old ground 'Highbury' was informally named Ars-anal Stadium. Don't know when or where Highbury came form? But it does show that a common/local name is possible if everyone decides it to be. WHL will always be WHL. If everyone decides to use WHL then it will stay, regardless of it official sponsored name.

They renamed the tube station to 'Woolwich' as it used to be Gillespie Road. Highbury is the actual area that the old Woolwich stadium was entrenched in. Although you have the reverse with the pikies stadium called the Boleyn Ground but everyone refers to it as Upton Park.

Tottenham's ground will forever be know as White Hart Lane even though it's not actually situated there. Guess we'll get a 'Nike Arena' @ White Hart Lane? if we do end up with an NFL franchise the stadium will have some form of sponsor name unfortunately.

As an architect - I can tell you it's quite remarkable, considering the amount of information ourselves and the Engineers give them

Last edited:
The Sun newspaper reporting imminent Wembley deal. TBF our likely appearance in the CL must help strengthen DL's argument, plus the fact that Chelsea, for all their noise and wealth are going to be nowhere near ready to start building their monstrosity next season.

Can't imagine the FA would really allow us to play home CL games at the MK Dons Arena (with all due respect to MK and all...)
We'll have to qualify for the CL first. :pochwtf:

Also helps us that Chelsea have been a shambles this season.

You're right, Chelsea are nowhere near ready. Their "deal" always reeked of obstruction. No way any reasonably managed construction project requires a separate stadium for three fucking seasons. They just wanted to block us from getting Wembley. It's no secret at all that boardroom relations with Chelsea are even worse than they are with Woolwich...

Now they're shit and their winning poker hand looks like a busted flush. You're right, playing in the Champion's League at MK Dons would look ridiculous.

You're right, playing in the Champion's League at MK Dons would look ridiculous.

I've never been to the ground but from TV it looks decent, just a bit smaller than ours.

But yes, us playing there in CL games is ridiculous. Didn't someone used to ground share with MK in Rugby Union, maybe Saracens? They might have shifted now but I can't imagine the pitch would be in good shape if so.

On the plus side, Dele knows his way around and it'll no doubt be cheaper than Wembley. I've got nothing else.

Also helps us that Chelsea have been a shambles this season.

You're right, Chelsea are nowhere near ready. Their "deal" always reeked of obstruction. No way any reasonably managed construction project requires a separate stadium for three fucking seasons. They just wanted to block us from getting Wembley. It's no secret at all that boardroom relations with Chelsea are even worse than they are with Woolwich...

Now they're shit and their winning poker hand looks like a busted flush. You're right, playing in the Champion's League at MK Dons would look ridiculous.

I think Chelsea's negotiations to play at Wembley have helped unlock it for us, the FA don't like Spurs / Levy - but can't be seen to favour one team over another.

Without Chelsea agreeing / or being close to agreeing a deal at Wembley we'd just be told it isn't viable at all.

I've never been to the ground but from TV it looks decent, just a bit smaller than ours.

But yes, us playing there in CL games is ridiculous. Didn't someone used to ground share with MK in Rugby Union, maybe Saracens? They might have shifted now but I can't imagine the pitch would be in good shape if so.

On the plus side, Dele knows his way around and it'll no doubt be cheaper than Wembley. I've got nothing else.

It's a decent stadium for what it is. Bigger than it looks from outside because the pitch is lower than ground level; when you walk in you come to the concourse and the lower tier is below you. It's a very open stadium, you can walk all the way around the concourse, it's one continuous thing not individual stands like WHL. The concourse is also open to the pitch, i.e. you can see the pitch from the bar.

Rugby: it's Northampton Saints and not a ground share, they play some of their European Cup games there, maybe 2 a year tops? Something to do with the competition requiring a minimum size capacity for at least (2?) games in the groups, and Franklin's Gardens not being big enough.

I can't see it happening though, especially with the feelings towards MKD's "franchise" history of certain sections of our support, it feels to me like the Wembley deal will be done.

So we have agreement for European games at Wembley, let's hope they are for Champions League and not Europa League, imagine trying to get 50k for those in 2017-2018!

Does this mean we'll have a deal for Premier League games announced any time soon?

Back
Top Bottom