If you want a different Tottenham, go and get it.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Big difference being they were protesting against a manager (employee) of the club we'd be protesting against the chairmen. Equivalent of banging your head against a brick wall!

Not exactly, the pressure could lead to us spending more money, that we clearly have and could easily spend. Fundamentally, being cheap is the root of many of our ills. Spending money is essential in modern football, it's that simple and we don't do it often. Certainly not without sending equal expenditure out.

Not exactly, the pressure could lead to us spending more money, that we clearly have and could easily spend. Fundamentally, being cheap is the root of many of our ills. Spending money is essential in modern football, it's that simple and we don't do it often. Certainly not without sending equal expenditure out.
Clearly where?

Here's the 2013 Annual Report. What revenue do we have which we could easily spend, but aren't?
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/upl...cuments/Annual_Reports/annual-report-2013.pdf

Clearly where?

Here's the 2013 Annual Report. What revenue do we have which we could easily spend, but aren't?
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/upl...cuments/Annual_Reports/annual-report-2013.pdf

If only we had a 77 year old owner worth 4.2 billion dollars (third highest behind Abramovich and Mansour in the league) who took his company and residence out of his country of birth to a place where he can dodge taxes.

That annual report is also dated and does not represent the unprecedented rise in revenue from the new television deal over the last two seasons. Plus AIA is paying us 15m a year and Under Armour over 10m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't sell tickets for a reading of the yearly expense reports. There are literally millions of things which to invest in the world, if you choose sport, you should be trying to win. I don't give a fuck about our financial situation or if Joe Lewis can add a tennis court to his 500 million (!!!!!!!!!!!!) dollar yacht. The game isn't about the bottom line it is about winning and glory. Also, everyone seems to conveniently forget that when your team is better, you make a fuckton more money. Champions League, shirt sales, exposure, etc. Have to spend money to make money.

I don't see similarly sized Liverpool fumbling around for money and Henry is worth a quarter what Lewis is and owns baseball team that also spends lavishly.

The last time we had a positive net spend in a transfer window while spending over 15m we bought Peter Crouch, Niko Kranjcar, Sebastian Bassong, Kaboul, and Sandro. That's how long it's been.

If only we had a 77 year old owner worth 4.2 billion dollars (third highest behind Abramovich and Mansour in the league) who took his company and residence out of his country of birth to a place where he can dodge taxes.

That annual report is also dated and does not represent the unprecedented rise in revenue from the new television deal over the last two seasons. Plus AIA is paying us 15m a year and Under Armour over 10m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't sell tickets for a reading of the yearly expense reports. There are literally millions of things which to invest in the world, if you choose sport, you should be trying to win. I don't give a fuck about our financial situation or if Joe Lewis can add a tennis court to his 500 million (!!!!!!!!!!!!) dollar yacht. The game isn't about the bottom line it is about winning and glory. Also, everyone seems to conveniently forget that when your team is better, you make a fuckton more money. Champions League, shirt sales, exposure, etc. Have to spend money to make money.

I don't see similarly sized Liverpool fumbling around for money and Henry is worth a quarter what Lewis is and owns baseball team that also spends lavishly.
You can either spend a lot of money, then not make the league, and swallow the debt, or not. Lewis doesn't want to do that. It's his choice, since it's his team. He's not beholden to anyone to spend money Spurs don't actually have for our entertainment.

Liverpool are not actually similarly sized to us. They actually make a lot more money than we do. Henry may be worth less than Lewis, but runs his teams for a profit as well. He owns the second richest team in baseball, and they make their money from merchandise and the highest ticket prices outside the Yankees.

If you want the owner to spend more, buy the team and spend more yourself. ENIC are under no obligation to spend anything beyond what Spurs make. They own it, and can run it for a profit if they choose.

As for the report, yes, it's dated, but they haven't released the 2014 report yet. The TV revenue will be up, but for all we know, that money got spent on higher wages. You're making an assertion that there's money available, but providing no actual facts. When asked to, you've complained that the owner isn't willing to take a loss on a business for the sake of your entertainment, and that an unknown amount of revenue can be spent (but we don't actually know if it can), because it should be available. Why should ENIC take a loss on Spurs for you?

You claim "you have to spend money to make money." THFC is choosing to spend their money on building a bigger stadium, with the hope of making more money, to then spend on players. That's their choice, not ours to make.

You can either spend a lot of money, then not make the league, and swallow the debt, or not. Lewis doesn't want to do that. It's his choice, since it's his team. He's not beholden to anyone to spend money Spurs don't actually have for our entertainment.

Liverpool are not actually similarly sized to us. They actually make a lot more money than we do. Henry may be worth less than Lewis, but runs his teams for a profit as well. He owns the second richest team in baseball, and they make their money from merchandise and the highest ticket prices outside the Yankees.

If you want the owner to spend more, buy the team and spend more yourself. ENIC are under no obligation to spend anything beyond what Spurs make. They own it, and can run it for a profit if they choose.

As for the report, yes, it's dated, but they haven't released the 2014 report yet. The TV revenue will be up, but for all we know, that money got spent on higher wages. You're making an assertion that there's money available, but providing no actual facts. When asked to, you've complained that the owner isn't willing to take a loss on a business for the sake of your entertainment, and that an unknown amount of revenue can be spent (but we don't actually know if it can), because it should be available. Why should ENIC take a loss on Spurs for you?

You claim "you have to spend money to make money." THFC is choosing to spend their money on building a bigger stadium, with the hope of making more money, to then spend on players. That's their choice, not ours to make.

In the most recent league wide financials I could find Liverpool were fifth in revenue while we were sixth. Similar sized.

All sport has been ruined by wanker investors showing up and making it all about them. I honestly cannot fathom owning a team with the only goal being to make money. It makes me sick just thinking about it. There are so many other things to invest in.

The fact that some rich cunt like Lewis can also dodge taxes in the Bahamas and funnel the profits from the club tax free (do some research on this one) while they continue to raise ticket prices on average fans is so gross.

I disagree completely on what Spurs owe us. If they want to make our season ticket price the highest in the league and highest in Europe then they owe us a competitive product. Once again, fuck Joe Lewis's bank account. We could lose 100m dollars a season for thirty two years straight before he ceased to be a billionaire.

One day we'll find an alternative to capitalism. There has to be something.

In the most recent league wide financials I could find Liverpool were fifth in revenue while we were sixth. Similar sized.

All sport has been ruined by wanker investors showing up and making it all about them. I honestly cannot fathom owning a team with the only goal being to make money. It makes me sick just thinking about it. There are so many other things to invest in.

The fact that some rich cunt like Lewis can also dodge taxes in the Bahamas and funnel the profits from the club tax free (do some research on this one) while they continue to raise ticket prices on average fans is so gross.

I disagree completely on what Spurs owe us. If they want to make our season ticket price the highest in the league and highest in Europe then they owe us a competitive product. Once again, fuck Joe Lewis's bank account. We could lose 100m dollars a season for thirty two years straight before he ceased to be a billionaire.

One day we'll find an alternative to capitalism. There has to be something.
When we find an alternative to capitalism, I'll be quite happy. Until then, it's Joe's toy, since he bought it, and he gets to do what he wants with it. Under the law of the land, they owe you nothing. It sucks, but it's been that way for a century, we just failed to notice.

I advocate fan ownership for a reason.

As for Liverpool, they're fifth, we're sixth but that does gloss over the actual difference in revenue. Livepool have over 200 million, we're at 147. That's a 25% difference between the two. Their wage bill is similarly higher (125 million to less than 100 for us). We have a financial situation much closer to the clubs in the 7-10th spots than the 1st-5th spots, particularly with player wages.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-club-david-conn

As JDK rightly says ENIC need to spend more money on the club. Others make the fair point, why should they, it's their money? My answer to that is if they don't want to spend, they should sell the club, and let someone have a go who can back the team.

Of course, as is well known ENIC will want a very high price and so the stalemate will probably continue with the emphasis on stale rather than mates. Unless Poch can pull off a minor miracle and win us a trophy.

As JDK rightly says ENIC need to spend more money on the club. Others make the fair point, why should they, it's their money? My answer to that is if they don't want to spend, they should sell the club, and let someone have a go who can back the team.

Of course, as is well known ENIC will want a very high price and so the stalemate will probably continue with the emphasis on stale rather than mates. Unless Poch can pull off a minor miracle and win us a trophy.
Who has shown up with the desire to spend hundreds of millions of pounds, pay the FFP fines and run Spurs at a loss for their own ego-stroking? That's what you're asking for. You want the club to be someone's plaything. What happens when they get tired of that, or run out of money? How would the club survive with a billion pounds of debt over its head and wages it can't sustain based on revenues? We saw what happened to Portsmouth and Leeds when they tried that. What happens when Abramovich leaves Chelsea? I don't want the club killed for a quick thrill ride. No one is obligated wrack up massives debts for your sake.

Who has shown up with the desire to spend hundreds of millions of pounds, pay the FFP fines and run Spurs at a loss for their own ego-stroking? That's what you're asking for. You want the club to be someone's plaything. What happens when they get tired of that, or run out of money? How would the club survive with a billion pounds of debt over its head and wages it can't sustain based on revenues? We saw what happened to Portsmouth and Leeds when they tried that. What happens when Abramovich leaves Chelsea? I don't want the club killed for a quick thrill ride. No one is obligated wrack up massives debts for your sake.

Chelsea have won 11 trophies since 2004. I'd take that quick thrill ride...

Can't believe there are still people defending ENIC's transfer market model (not so much Levy per se)

Jol brought this up years ago - fuck all has changed 7 years later. This is not about building a CL-challenging squad - it's about making profit from buying young players with potential and selling for a profit while pulling the cotton veil over the sheep's eyes with some pretty renderings of something as likely as the Second Coming. Get real, lads.

Table below does not include last transfer window were we made a 1m profit. Again.

spend.png

Last edited:
"Can't believe people defend ENIC's transfer policy "
5th columnist's .

"Defending the undefendable "
The greedy or insane.

"This was their finest hour" = Sainsbury's .

Last edited:
And when Roman moves on, what then? How do Chelsea pay off that billion pounds of debt? Or what if it doesn't work, and we just wind up like Leeds or Portsmouth?
Chavs turned their debt into equity 2-3 years ago - debt free now (dodgy, I know)

How many owners have got bored and sold their toys? Roman's been around 10+ years and doesn't look like going anywhere soon, the City group are buying clubs around the world and are investing heavily in youth development. It's all well and good bringing up this argument about billionaries getting bored and turning a club to shit but then not backing it up. Even Tan who is a terrible owner hasn't run Cardiff into debt and sold up shop yet

:avbshock:

Enic put £40m into the club last financial year - pretty sure that's the maximum investment allowed under the PL FFP rules.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/financial-results-shareholder-and-stadium-update-020414/

Isn't that 40m going to be sold as shares at the end to the public?

You make it sound like poor Levy has given some of his life savings away.

This loan will be converted, subject to shareholder approval, into non-voting preference share capital. A circular will be dispatched to shareholders in due course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom