Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Definitely a player who takes a little while to get going in a new team/system. Not to mention them fact that he's now learning to play alongiside Lamela as a creative compadré.
Thank the Lord he doesn't take as long as Henderson did for Liverpool.

As for his free kicks, I wouldn't be surprised if he took his foot off the pedal with regards to free-kick practice. A little overconfident on them after last season? Or perhaps the more intensive training just means that he wants to head indoors a little faster. I remember an interview with him a few weeks ago where he discussed how knackered he'd been after each session.

In many ways, I'd use Eriksen as a benchmark for the team as a whole. When he begins to click, I think the rest wIll be doing so too.

I think Poch needs to stop hauling him off. Some players in the past would only play well if played constantly. They get match fit from games and not training.

Keano, Capoue, Hudd were prime examples of players who trained but only looked great after a prolonged hours of tough games getting them fit from the rigours of competative games.

IMO eriksen needs to be taken out of his comfort zone and needs to finish more games.

IMO eriksen needs to be taken out of his comfort zone and needs to finish more games.
Agree with this. He doesn't have the tissue-paper-tendons nor age of VDV, so there isn't cause to keep hauling him off in a similar fashion.

Also, we miss his free kicks (when they're good) in the final moments of matches where they might make a key difference.

Didn't we have several free kicks against Sunderland that were taken by Lamela in his absence and came to nothing?

Agree with this. He doesn't have the tissue-paper-tendons nor age of VDV, so there isn't cause to keep hauling him off in a similar fashion.

Also, we miss his free kicks (when they're good) in the final moments of matches where they might make a key difference.

Didn't we have several free kicks against Sunderland that were taken by Lamela in his absence and came to nothing?

Yep I've mentioned that in the past too re set peices. Plus in general games I'd much rather the ball drop to him rather than any other player when it comes to shots at goal or through balls.

Easy two-step plan to Immediately improve our corners...

1) get it past the first man
2) put it far enough away from the goalkeeper so that he can't collect it.

(Optional bonus: don't kick it straight over everyone)

Seems weird that we often don't manage these!
:baeshock:
In fairness we did much better than Woolwich who struggled for anything with their 15 corners.

Eriksen Pressed To Change By Pochettino...

Christian Eriksen may see himself as a sexy playmaker, but under Mauricio Pochettino's management, only the team matters. The Dane has been forced to work mighty hard.

The manner of Nacer Chadli's opener in Saturday's north London derby will have brought an especially broad smile to the face of Mauricio Pochettino.

It must have felt like a vindication of Pochettino's core beliefs, worth far more than its mere impact. It came as a result of Christian Eriksen pressurising Mathieu Flamini, winning the ball in the final third and then finding Erik Lamela, who promptly fed Chadli to score. A very Pochettino-type goal.

"We need to improve but we need time. Arsene Wenger has been in charge 18 years. Me, just three months," was the post-match plea for patience from Pochettino, but those ten seconds alone offered evidence of progress. Patience is a two-way street in the Premier League, earned rather than gifted.

Importantly, Pochettino had spent much of the first half audibly remonstrating with Eriksen, encouraging him to harry and hassle Mikel Arteta in possession of the ball. The Dane had been rebuked for failing to close down the Spaniard on every occasion, with Emmanuel Adebayor also suitably reproached. The effectiveness of Pochettino's high-press style, utilised to such great effect at Southampton, depends on an all-for-one mentality within the squad - there is little room for passengers.

There is no secret to the Argentine's preferred intense pressing approach - sculpted under the tutelage of Marcelo Bielsa - which revolves around man-to-man or zonal marking in the opposition half when without the ball. As soon as possession is gained, the intention is to exploit the turnover of the ball by having a spare man in attack, overloading with attacking midfielders.

If there is one obvious early-season beneficiary of Pochettino's appointment at White Hart Lane it is Chadli, who has so often become that 'spare man' on the counter-attack. The Belgian has already scored four league goals, three more than he managed in 24 appearances last season - he looks reborn.

Whilst Chadli's improvement is clear, questions could be raised about Eriksen's place in Pochettino's system. Eriksen was the shining light amidst Tottenham frustration last season, the 22-year-old scoring seven league goals and registering eight assists - only seven Premier League players managed more.

However, under Tim Sherwood especially, Eriksen was given the freedom of a playmaker role, licence to affect the game through his dribbling and neat passing. "I'm not a player to defend or run around, I want the ball," the Dane admitted last season. Those are words to chill the spine of a Bielsa student.

Asked to alter his role, there is little doubt that Eriksen has found things initially tough. "It's been a hard pre-season,' he admitted, referring to his manager's demands on fitness. "It is pretty hard. The first few weeks there were times when we went to bed pretty early. Now of course you try to get used to it. There have been double sessions two times a week when we were training at 10am and then again at 4pm, so it's a long day."

Eriksen's influence on the pitch has also suffered, of that there is no doubt. He is yet to register an assist this season and, having created a chance every 47 minutes last season, has seen that rise to 60 minutes during this campaign. More startling still is that Eriksen has had just two shots from open play under Pochettino (one for every 238 minutes played) - last season, that figure stood at 99 minutes.

Not every statistic has reduced in number, however. Eriksen won just 19 tackles last season in the Premier League but, asked to carry out this hassling role, he has already won nine this season. The challenge against Flamini on Saturday was surely the most important, but his manager will hope that this becomes commonplace.

It would be easy for Eriksen to become disillusioned with this much-altered responsibility but, at just 22, it surely must be good for his development. Pochettino is not aiming to curb Eriksen's skillful assets entirely, merely mould him into the perfect attacking midfielder to lead this new Spurs. At Southampton, Adam Lallana was evidently that man.

It is a facet of modern football that even the most skilful players are expected to adjust and adapt to the style of their team, with Eden Hazard suffering a very public reminder of his obligations from Jose Mourinho last season. It is a lesson that Mesut Ozil is perhaps still learning at Woolwich.

For now at least, Eriksen the luxury playmaker must fall into line. His appetite for doing so may be key to Pochettino's potential to succeed where those before him have failed.

I think everyone may be looking at eriksen with a bit of rose tinteds, we were plain diabolical last year and eriksen just grabbed the bull by the balls and stood out as a result as there was no tactics or direction so had a free role and others did the defending

Now there is a system that involves work from everyone and he just has to readjust, took him 5 months last year, maybe a couple this year just to get his eye in and understand his role fully, class is permanent he has it and I think you will see him hitting Ade and Chadli with neat passes soon

There we are SinghYid SinghYid I said the same in August

Eriksen Pressed To Change By Pochettino...

Christian Eriksen may see himself as a sexy playmaker, but under Mauricio Pochettino's management, only the team matters. The Dane has been forced to work mighty hard.

Really interesting stuff. I think Chadli's recent success makes sense, especially when you consider the performances we saw from players like Rose, Naughton, Kaboul, etc this past weekend. By stressing teamwork and giving these types of players clearly defined roles, it brings out the best in them and caters to their specific skill sets. On the other hand, players like Lamela and Eriksen are used to being given a lot more freedom, and I think that's why its taking them a little longer for them to get comfortable. That being said, they'll always have a place in a system like Poch's because you can't teach that type of class and I have no doubt that they'll make the transition, so long as they are willing to work hard and can handle the type of intensity that the new system demands.

I think Poch needs to stop hauling him off. Some players in the past would only play well if played constantly. They get match fit from games and not training.

Keano, Capoue, Hudd were prime examples of players who trained but only looked great after a prolonged hours of tough games getting them fit from the rigours of competative games.

If the lad's out of gas you don't leave him out to make costly mistakes. There are big gains from subbing attacking players smartly.

There are big gains from subbing attacking players smartly.

That's deep bro.

You said he's out of gas, maybe because Poch has him water carrying like that idiot AVB did.

The smart way to handle our team is for our young managers to realize that Eriksen and Lamela are not throwbacks like they were. Sherwood was an endless warrior and thought he could mould dainty players into blood and thunder midfielders like he was. Poor siggy. Now Poch who was a similar defender with a hardcore mentality is making the same mistakes.

It's pretty sad to watch the same shit happening. Both Eriksen and Lamela will be fucking miserable all season if he keeps this fantasy up.

Almost all our midfielders can press. Etiksen and Lamela can't. The sooner he embraces the shit they CAN do, the sooner we will stop spinning our wheels.

Last edited:
It must have felt like a vindication of Pochettino's core beliefs, worth far more than its mere impact. It came as a result of Christian Eriksen pressurising Mathieu Flamini, winning the ball in the final third and then finding Erik Lamela, who promptly fed Chadli to score. A very Pochettino-type goal.

Eriksen really didn't pass it to Lamela. It was more that Erik was in the right spot at the right time.

Eriksen really didn't pass it to Lamela. It was more that Erik was in the right spot at the right time.

Which I think is testament to the fact that Eriksen and Lamela can press like you said, if they decide to put in the effort...both happened to be at the right place at the same time. Lucky maybe, but not entirely coincidental.

Yeah gibbs131 ... you're a bit wrong here.

It's very obvious during games that we can see Lamela really committing into the pressing philosophy. It's quite easy on the eye to spot him doing that, imo. And if you want a statistic to back some of this, well then Lamela is also ranked fourth in the list of players who are committing fouls (in the PL), which shows that's he's willing to stick a leg in. (Everyone except Chamakh, above him in that list are pretty much dedicated DMs). So yeah, while it doesn't come across perfect for him at all times, Lamela still is trying his best - especially for being an attacking player.

And as for Eriksen, as Sanchez18 Sanchez18 pointed out: There is progress with Eriksen in that aspect. Last season he made only 19 tackles, and this season he already has 9. So yeah, he's learning. Yes, the pressing atm is hampering his attacking a bit, but it's all about a case of adaptability, which I'm sure he will.

Last edited:
Everyone has to press. If Xavi and Iniesta can press - both of whom aren't the fastest or youngest - then Eriksen can most certainly do it.
Lamela has been doing it better than anyone in our team so far. You can't just make defensive players press and let the attackers goal hang. Everyone has to press. If you don't agree then you must acknowledge that you disagree with Poch's philosophy. Pressing doesn't work if a few players aren't doing it.

Back
Top Bottom