Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah gibbs131 ... you're a bit wrong here.

It's very obvious during games that we can see Lamela really committing into the pressing philosophy. It's quite easy on the eye to spot him doing that, imo. And if you want a statistic to back some of this, well then Lamela is also ranked fourth in the list of players who are committing fouls (in the PL), which shows that's he's willing to stick a leg in. (Everyone except Chamakh, above him in that list are pretty much dedicated DMs). So yeah, while it doesn't come across perfect for him at all times, Lamela still is trying his best - especially for being an attacking player.

And as for Eriksen, as Sanchez18 Sanchez18 pointed out: There is progress with Eriksen in that aspect. Last season he made only 19 tackles, and this season he already has 9. So yeah, he's learning. Yes, the pressing atm is hampering his attacking a bit, but it's all about a case of adaptability, which I'm sure he will.
Absolutely. And I think that if Eriksen played with a striker who was actually in front of him, rather than trying to occupy the same space, or playing 10 yards behind him, then we'd have seen more offensive production from him already. He's had a lot less playing time with strikers other than Adebayor than Lamela has had.

Because making VDV do that shit RAN HIM INTO THE GROUND and he ended up with constant injuries, not being able to last 50 mins and it made us soft as shit. Because of REALITY...They are CLASSY players. Not beasts. They are on the opposite end of that scale. Pretending otherwise is a massive waste of time.

We ALREADY have players that are beasts, ENJOY that hard nosed aspect of the game and have spent a decade mastering it. AVB broke Lamela doing the same shit and now Eriksen looks like he's about to have a nervous breakdown. How do you think Lamela feels after setting one up then breaking our hearts with that soft giveaway? You think that is progress? We did the same thing to Holtby. We did the same thing to Siggy.

We need to embrace what Eriksen and Lamela have been doing for 15 years, not rip it up and pretend they can be something that takes players like Capoue etc over a decade to master.
VDV has always been injury prone, and always struggled with fitness.

What you are saying does not in anyway address what I said about every player needing to press for the system to work. Lamela made a mistake with a clearance, it happens. It doesn't mean using him as a presser is flawed.
They are built like tanks. Lamella is willowy.

Lamela is a Ginola, a VDV.

FFS.

Dat guy, don't turn into Cahspur and bring Barca etc legends into a spurs conversation.
They are not built like tanks, and that wouldn't matter slim guys can press too. Look at Ramires strong and wiry.
Lamela is far from a VDV he has a good engine and pace. Again Poch's system needs everyone to press...

I used those examples because it shows anyone can press, there are plenty of lesser teams who do it well too.

You have devised your own system in your head, with certain players capable of playing. You will not be happy until this is implemented, which will be never, bro.
You irrationally defend those players who you like, and irrationally attack those who you do not like.

They are built like tanks. Lamella is willowy.

Lamela is a Ginola, a VDV.

FFS.

Dat guy, don't turn into Cahspur and bring Barca etc legends into a spurs conversation.
amongst all the nonsense about lamela/eriksen not being able to press - you've also accused Ginola of being 'willowy'. Ginola was a fucking adonis, a solid lad, defenders used to bounce off him. Bet he has a cock like a coke can.

Eriksen needs to play more , he has always been a player that needs to play alot. play him in Europa leauge, cup, and the leauge. and he will be back...He played allmost all games at Ajax and still ran the most and were their keyplayer. Sub Him at 60min in the leauge is not doing anybody a favor....

Eriksen needs to play more , he has always been a player that needs to play alot. play him in Europa leauge, cup, and the leauge. and he will be back...He played allmost all games at Ajax and still ran the most and were their keyplayer. Sub Him at 60min in the leauge is not doing anybody a favor....

on my fifa 14, he has stamina of 97

Well taken goal today, he looked very pleased too! Thought he had a good game today, got involved in our attacks and had great movement. He was very unlucky that his other bouncing shot didn't go in, although Forster didn't look too good in that situation. One of his big weaknesses last season was his upper body strength, I see that he is starting to win some 50/50s (just like Lamela) and that makes me optimistic to his future in this league.

Last edited:
Very interesting food for thought on Eriksen (and Lamela) in this article:

http://statsbomb.com/2014/10/attacking-contribution-metric-and-man-uniteds-reliance-on-di-maria/

The headline numbers may not yet reflect it, but he's still making things happen, just one step in the shadows.
Cool article right there. I thought a lot of the criticism at the beginning of the year was unwarranted. He may not be assisting much right now but almost every attack that we have has been going through him. Once he and Lamela get used to playing on the pitch together I think he'll be even more effective. They already looked a lot more comfortable with each other on Sunday and I'm sure it'll only get better. I think it was Schneiderlin who said that it took Soton 6 months to adapt to Poch's system. Its only been 2 for us so I think we've yet to see how great of a side we can become. Eriksen will no doubt be a major part of that and I think he will only improve from here.

I don't think the criticism was unwarranted, compared to his form at the end of last season he looked really lost and frustrated. Just glad that things look like they may start to be 'ticking' with the current attacking players, because having a three of Lamela, Chadli and Eriksen on form is pretty fucking exciting.

Post above was interesting. Of course, it needs reasserting that those attacking contribution statistics were constructed using a certain set of assumptions, neither right or wrong.

I think it would be interesting if the author took those statistics and "weighted" them by where on the field of play those attacking contributions took place. I.E. The 4th and 3rd passes leading to goal are given 1 pt, the 2nd counts as 2 pts, the assist 3, and the goal counts as 4 pts.

After all, the statistics are geared towards favoring playmakers, who can be assumed to have more touches on the ball leading to efforts on goal than the eventual scorer, whose only touch might be the one resulting in a goal.

On the other hand, there is some reason to be optimistic. Until Chadli and Lamela really get more comfortable and start imposing themselves more on the game, we are of course heavily reliant on Eriksen, as his model shows. If you accept that player performances tend to revert to the mean, Eriksen's labored start to the season suggests that a return to form will bring a sharp uptick in our team performance.

For the moment I'm still more interested in Key Passes.

In some ways he was perfect for Sherwood's very free (or naive) system, but its great to see that he can be important under Poch as well. Since he's playing all the time I assume he has no problem with trying to adjust to a new way of playing.

Post above was interesting. Of course, it needs reasserting that those attacking contribution statistics were constructed using a certain set of assumptions, neither right or wrong.

I think it would be interesting if the author took those statistics and "weighted" them by where on the field of play those attacking contributions took place. I.E. The 4th and 3rd passes leading to goal are given 1 pt, the 2nd counts as 2 pts, the assist 3, and the goal counts as 4 pts.

After all, the statistics are geared towards favoring playmakers, who can be assumed to have more touches on the ball leading to efforts on goal than the eventual scorer, whose only touch might be the one resulting in a goal.

On the other hand, there is some reason to be optimistic. Until Chadli and Lamela really get more comfortable and start imposing themselves more on the game, we are of course heavily reliant on Eriksen, as his model shows. If you accept that player performances tend to revert to the mean, Eriksen's labored start to the season suggests that a return to form will bring a sharp uptick in our team performance.

For the moment I'm still more interested in Key Passes.
The issue with Key Passes is that Opta's methods of counting them are a bit questionable at times. But it is worth noting that while 56% of our attack seems to go through Eriksen, 48% is also going through Lamela (he's on the same list). The takeaway could either be that we have two options through which the attack can go, or that Christian and Erik together are making a whole lot of magic happen.

This was just the premliminary piece though, Colin hadn't tried plugging in anything related to the quality of the chances created, just contribution to the raw output. That next step may be a bit proprietary though (like Ted Knutson admitted successful dribbles in key locations was, due to its apparent predictive value).

The issue with Key Passes is that Opta's methods of counting them are a bit questionable at times.

Absolutely, but that's a problem with almost all of OptaStats. Nevertheless, I think it's a better metric of who is trying to create scoring opportunities, as opposed to crediting the 4th person removed from a scored goal, and weighting that equally with the person that tallied the assist and the person that registered the goal.

At any rate, we're so early in the season that any statistical measure is going to be highly unreliable. There's just not much of a sample size yet.

Absolutely, but that's a problem with almost all of OptaStats. Nevertheless, I think it's a better metric of who is trying to create scoring opportunities, as opposed to crediting the 4th person removed from a scored goal, and weighting that equally with the person that tallied the assist and the person that registered the goal.

At any rate, we're so early in the season that any statistical measure is going to be highly unreliable. There's just not much of a sample size yet.
Oh definitely, I think KP and this would ultimately measure different things though. I buzzed Ted, Colin and another (Caley) on twitter about measuring the quality of chances created by a players key passes, but haven't received a reply yet.

Back
Top Bottom