Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen - Seems lost in this team. Thought his set pieces were terrible and didn't have an influence on the game. Worrying.
(Just quoting your post from the match thread to bring this discussion here.)

If I'm honest, I kinda feel the same.
He's simply just not himself. And I'm pretty sure it's because of his defensive duties. But to be fair, I did think he worked really hard trying to press and nick the ball away from opponents today.

Nevertheless, do you know what this situation kinda reminds me of?
Imo, it's similar to Mata's situation with Mourinho. Mata is (or was at Chelsea) a super player. I'd loved watching him. And when Mou sold him, I thought he was foolish. But on Mou's behalf it kinda made sense because he believed Mata wasn't apt to bring in the defensive duties to the team, along with the offensive duties.

I just am praying that I'm over-relating that scenario to Eriksen's.
We just can't afford to have such an issue like that, let alone even sell him. Poch has to figure out a way to make Eriksen free and fully effective again, whether if he makes or doesn't make Eriksen do all that pressing. For now, all that I can just hope is that it is also early days for Eriksen (to learn Poch's system).

Had a poor game overall - hopefully just a blip

I also don't understand how can a player with such deadly free-kick take such terrible corners

Had a poor game overall - hopefully just a blip

I also don't understand how can a player with such deadly free-kick take such terrible corners
It's cos he tries to hit nearly all his set pieces with top spin. When it comes off it's deadly, insane pace and dip, otherwise if he catches it a little to high (easy to do because there are millimetres in it) it will not even clear the first man.

I don't get Pochettino. Why is he playing Eriksen at RW and Lamela at CAM? Eriksen don't have the pace to run past defenders on the outside and he can't move into the middle from the right as easy as he can from the left because he is right footed. It makes no sense. We looked so much better against Liverpool when Eriksen and Lamela switched positions. Eriksen is also way better at defending and pressing in the middle of the field than on the wings, mainly because his lack of pace. Defending from CAM is more about interceptions and hassle the opposition.

Seriously it makes no sense at all to have Eriksen spend so much time on the right. I can't even name one footballer in the Eriksen type mould playing on the right. Its just weird.

Liverpool out managed us. They killed the supply from our wingbacks, CDs and holding players to cut out Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli.

Fair play, they were on us in a flash as soon as we got the ball.

Better team, better prepared. Did the usual raping down the flanks. Now we have to see if poch recognizes his mistakes and gives us better out balls.

Eriksen was TERRIBLE. But he wasn't given a sniff.

I think everyone may be looking at eriksen with a bit of rose tinteds, we were plain diabolical last year and eriksen just grabbed the bull by the balls and stood out as a result as there was no tactics or direction so had a free role and others did the defending

Now there is a system that involves work from everyone and he just has to readjust, took him 5 months last year, maybe a couple this year just to get his eye in and understand his role fully, class is permanent he has it and I think you will see him hitting Ade and Chadli with neat passes soon

I think everyone may be looking at eriksen with a bit of rose tinteds, we were plain diabolical last year and eriksen just grabbed the bull by the balls and stood out as a result as there was no tactics or direction so had a free role and others did the defending

Now there is a system that involves work from everyone and he just has to readjust, took him 5 months last year, maybe a couple this year just to get his eye in and understand his role fully, class is permanent he has it and I think you will see him hitting Ade and Chadli with neat passes soon
Let's hope so!

Eriksen - Gfycat :adewtf: :eriksenserious:

BelatedUnlinedArabianwildcat.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do we think could be the reason for him seemingly out of form at the moment? He doesn't look comfortable in a pressing role to me and he doesn't seem to have the impact on games like he was having last season. Also his set piece deliveries have been pretty awful for the past few games, even though I think he's one of the top shot free kick takers in the league.

What do you all think? Is it a case of him not adapting as quickly as some of the other players, or is he playing in a position that he's not suited to? Or am I talking an absolute load of codswallop?

:eriksenlip:

He had a slow start last season as well and our attack has looked more like AVB's than Sherwood's. It's going to take some time but as Poch shapes the team to play the way he wants, Eriksen will get better and better.

The attack is still far too stagnate and a playmaker like Eriksen can't really pick out a pass if no one is moving off the ball.

He had a slow start last season as well and our attack has looked more like AVB's than Sherwood's. It's going to take some time but as Poch shapes the team to play the way he wants, Eriksen will get better and better.

The attack is still far too stagnate and a playmaker like Eriksen can't really pick out a pass if no one is moving off the ball.
There is far more urgency to work the ball forward than there was under AVB, but like you say, the movement off the ball is missing. Our attacking players haven't really established an understanding with each other yet. Our result against a terrible QPR notwithstanding, our goal against Woolwich was against recent form; most of our goals have come from individual efforts that come off with a bit of luck, rather than fluid attacking play between teammates to pick apart a composed defense.

Pooch has his work cut out for him, for sure.

So what do we think could be the reason for him seemingly out of form at the moment? He doesn't look comfortable in a pressing role to me and he doesn't seem to have the impact on games like he was having last season. Also his set piece deliveries have been pretty awful for the past few games, even though I think he's one of the top shot free kick takers in the league...

Definitely a player who takes a little while to get going in a new team/system. Not to mention them fact that he's now learning to play alongiside Lamela as a creative compadré.
Thank the Lord he doesn't take as long as Henderson did for Liverpool.

As for his free kicks, I wouldn't be surprised if he took his foot off the pedal with regards to free-kick practice. A little overconfident on them after last season? Or perhaps the more intensive training just means that he wants to head indoors a little faster. I remember an interview with him a few weeks ago where he discussed how knackered he'd been after each session.

In many ways, I'd use Eriksen as a benchmark for the team as a whole. When he begins to click, I think the rest wIll be doing so too.

Back
Top Bottom