Up For Sale ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure what I think about this. Hopefully we don't get an asset stripping Glazer family or Gillette and Hicks type of owner, we are hardly the size of United or Liverpool, at best I think we could get the current American owners of Liverpool who have at least given them stability but American owners don't have the greatest track record.

Maybe I am wrong and they buy us Ibrahimovic in the next transfer window we could equally get arse fucked, have to sell our star players and have to buy Carlton Cole to lead the line for us. Who knows but I kind of wanted stability at Spurs for at least a few seasons.

Think it's important to remember that if Cain Hoy manage to buy us it will be based on a valuation by ENIC that includes an upward growth path whereby a certain amount of investment (i.e. Stadium and players) could yield CL football, leading to worldwide growth in the fanbase and the associated increased revenues.

In order to protect their investment Cain Hoy would have to continue to invest to keep us competitive, as a club such as ours earns much more than say Newcastle, a similarly big club that hasn't had our success of late. The whole idea of stripping us of our assets by selling players don't make financial sense.

The way I see it is that ENICs goal was to take us from bottom half / middle table doldrums into a more successful club they could sell at a profit. I imagine they originally hoped to get consistent CL but as the footballing environment changed they've had to accept where we are now - solidly in the 4th to 7th mix with a new stadium planned.

I don't imagine ENIC want to gamble on spending loads and push for CL that may not succeed, so they've taken us as far as they can without committing to another long term project of stadium which will allow revenue to cover the extra players for a CL push, making this an ideal time to sell.

Cain Hoy may come in and do exactly as ENIC do now, that is keep us competitive with little net spend, whilst hoping the "EPL" continues to grow and TV rights turn us in to a more profitable company. Alternatively they could come in, try to push us on with spending and make us Utd 2.0. I don't see a #spursy third option where we get destroyed.

So the potential takeover will likely mean no change or positive change. Says I with no real idea what's going to happen.

Bonus point: I've also thought up another expansion option for the Cain Hoy proposition. Their aim is to build the new stadium as a multipurpose arena and make it home to an NFL London expansion franchise. More use for stadium equals more revenue. NFL would likely prefer a designated stadium than being at the FAs mercy longer term...

Think it's important to remember that if...
Good points, and I tend to agree that a strategy to strip costs and maximize net profits is not a tenable plan. I think that this is inherently because of the relegation issues that could spell disaster for a large enough team. For a long time, the LA Clippers were one of the most profitable basketball teams due to this strategy. They consistently underperformed, invested little into the team, but had far more cash rolling in each season than most of the top performing teams. Although there was extra cash flowing in from further season success, it didn't make up for the additional spend that was required to obtain it. If the Clippers finished in dead last again one season, there wasn't as much of a threat to the team as relegation is to a PL side.

Bonus point: I've also thought up another expansion option for the Cain Hoy proposition. Their aim is to build the new stadium as a multipurpose arena and make it home to an NFL London expansion franchise. More use for stadium equals more revenue. NFL would likely prefer a designated stadium than being at the FAs mercy longer term...

You could be correct, but fuck that idea.

The founder of the group also owns the Dodgers who have been spending massive amounts of money since being bought a few years ago. Maybe that is an indication that this group is willing to spend money to win.

My dad is a mergers and acquisitions attorney so I asked him what he made of the statement. He didn't say too much but might as well share it: "They refer to a City takeover statute that I am not familiar with. It seems a continuation of the same process whereby the US group is likely to make an offer. Not clear how welcome the interest is. The report is of shares outstanding. I don't know the current ownership structure."

So basically you just have to report shares before a bid is placed it seems like.

Also, I'd caution everyone on their comparisons to the Dodgers. The Cain Hoy guys seem to have Guggenheim connections but they also no longer work there. IMO, while it stands to reason that Guggenheim money might be behind them considering the potential price of the club it is far from certain yet. Cain Hoy could be off by themselves on this one.

Today's statement means absolutely fuck all except that Cain Hoy weren't lying when they said they were considering a bid. Tottenham were legally obliged to make the statement that they did. Means absolutely nothing in relation to Spurs' position in the matter.

For me, we missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime when RA chose Chelsea instead of us. The damge done to us has been intense and probably irecoverable, in what's left of my little life anyway. We were already in Woolwich's shadow when ENIC took over, to be in Chelsea's shadow as well hurts so much.

One Lge Cup in 14 years and slipping to a poor third in the London hierarachy is not good enough. Chances are we'll never get owners as good as City's or Chelsea's, just hope we can get some owners more supportive than ENIC.

They've done ok/quite good, but as someone who remembers when we were the best team in the country and THE London glamour team, it hurts to see our decline, which ENIC along with others has been part of.

I can't state it often enoguh, I'm proud to be fan of a club with a policy of long term sustainability and rather than short term success on the fundament of debts. I hate Chelsea more than any club in the world (ok, mostly because they stole the CL from us ;) ) and I'm not sure if I could be Tottenham fan the same way I'm now if we had a devastating financial policy like Chelski.

Back
Top Bottom