Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we're all well aware of your point by now. If you and a minority want to "discuss" it ad nauseam then by all means pick a single thread and do so.
Leaving the other members of this Spurs message board free to discuss other topics minus your anti-social keyboard warrior behaviour.

I was happy discussing Redknapp and will continue to do so.

I have no interest in entering a pathetic off topic bickering fest with you and allow you to ruin the forum for me and others.

Please stop.

Harry was wrong in the way he spoke to the press about the England job, but as he says in his book, he isn't the kind of guy to make "no comment". I think he was cunty about it all, but the pressure of being incessantly asked must be oppressive. The fact will always remain that he took us into the CL for the only time. His teams played attractive football & he was soooo close to getting us there again. He was given shit signings on deadline day in January by the subject of this thread & couldn't polish the turd he was left with, or juggle with injuries. No doubt the players would have been wondering what was going on, but as another poster noted, losing 6 games in 6 months is hardly a reason to press the panic button when we only missed out on CL because the chavs got very lucky.

As this window has shown, a brand new shiney toy is what appeases people...AVB was that toy, and a lot of people got what they wished for.

While many didnt neccessarily want AVB, they did want Harry out.

I dont think the England debacle was a sackable offense....I mean, people are talking "should we have kept Berbatov/Modric/Bale" for a while now...

All did far worse, but people would have been delighted if they stayed and gave us a grovelling (fake) apology.

Yes but Im an on topic troll.

I dont think people are interested in your feelings for me. Tell them what you think of Harry or Levy. Thats what this thread is about at the minute.

Better for everyone.

Ok. Harry fucked up when he thought he was going on to greener grass...he got screwed by the FA and found himself stuck in the job he stopped caring about some months before. Then, rather than display any humility whatsoever, he decided to publicly moan about Levy not offering him a new contract despite the fact the chairman was currently burying his own mother. Levy returned and sent Redknapp to the depths of the league, battling relegation where he belongs.

Ok. Harry fucked up when he thought he was going on to greener grass...he got screwed by the FA and found himself stuck in the job he stopped caring about some months before. Then, rather than display any humility whatsoever, he decided to publicly moan about Levy not offering him a new contract despite the fact the chairman was currently burying his own mother. Levy returned and sent Redknapp to the depths of the league, battling relegation where he belongs.

Yeah we all know happened, although your take is a little bit "seething".

The point being made over the last couple of pages was that (despite Harry being Satan) we are still not better off now, than when he left. As we were a top 4 team then.

Its also been mentioned that Modric, Bale and Berbatov did worse (refusing to tour, train and play etc) but a lot more people would have welcomed them back.

Just a discussion about where we might have been had we not sacked Harry (or more to the point, hired AVB).

I would disagree with that. Modern day football has swung the pendulum in favour of club football, in my opinion.

Lets take a look at the last few English England managers and the position they were in when they were hired;

Hodgson - managing West Brom. England job is a step up.
McClaren - at Middlesbrough. England job is a step up.
Keegan - at Fulham (in Division One). England job a step up.

Is the England job a step up from Spurs? In Harry's circumstances, maybe as a final career choice, yes - but the fact of the matter is he had a contract with us, and our performances were woeful following the approach from the FA. Whether that was related or coincidence we will never know, but it will never be forgotten by Spurs fans as what could/should have been.
"is the England job a step up from Spurs?"

yes it definitely is.

Its all well and good saying we're finishing lower now than we did under redknapp but a lot has changed since then. Our squad under redknapp was probably better than our squad last season, Liverpool, Everton and City are all much much stronger than they were at the time and the general strength of the teams in the league has got much higher in the past couple of years.

In my opinion, our best chance to win the premier league ever, and certainly our best chance recently and probably the foreseeable future, was Redknapps last season. We had that incredible run in the first half of the season. We lost 3 of our first 21 games. And they were City, United and Stoke. With 4 draws and 14 wins.
Then we lost 8 of our final 17 games. drawing 5 and winning just 4. Say what you like about Harry as a manager, but even his biggest fans have to admit something went fucking wrong around Christmas. We didn't even have the Europa league to worry about because we went out in the group stages. Chelsea finished 6 that season as well.

If we'd carried on our form from the first 18 games, we'd have finished on W26 D6 L6 84 points, which is a comfortable 2nd place.

But you all know this shit anyway. Redknapp had his good moments but he had his bad as well. yada yada yada. If he's so great why isn't he at a better club now etc etc etc.

we have Harry to thank for all the good times he gave us don't be bitter because the whole nation wanted Tottenham to fail and Harry to take the England job

I'd blame the mejia those relentless pariahs who feed on football far more so than Harry who should be widely respected after his exploits here.

I think its laughable that people think our squad was stronger under Harry

I think the squad certainly wasnt, the first 11 was better though apart from the obvious keeper, not much argument there really, I dream about that midfield 5 including VDV all in full flow, plus as Harry said, if you could get Ledley playing for 10 games, the likelihood is you would win all 10 he was that good

We had more genuine match winners and Ledley at the back

Alot of potential and youth now and a big ass squad, you could argue either way and make a good case tbf

Id take 4 players back from that squad.

Ledders - despite King being King, he was still chronically injured...IMO, our CBs are stronger with a fit Jan

Bale - IMO, under the right manager, Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen, Vlad, Paulinho, Soldado and Capoue >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bale

Modric - weaker

VDV - weaker when we played Demspey there, but Lamela + Eriksen > VDV

Parker on the outskirts for me, but we also had Sandro, and Capoue over Palacios.

Hutton, Gomes, Crouch, Pav, Bassong, Hudd, Jenas, Alnwick, Woodgate, Bentley.....

Daws and Defoe I wont count as we had them last year.

The league might be tougher, but its utter bollocks we had a better squad.

Four key players dont compensate for 18 others.

Ledders - despite King being King, he was still chronically injured...IMO, our CBs are stronger with a fit Jan

Bale - IMO, under the right manager, Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen, Vlad, Paulinho, Soldado and Capoue >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bale

Modric - weaker

Parker on the outskirts for me, but we also had Sandro, and Capoue over Palacios.

Hutton, Gomes, Crouch, Pav, Bassong, Hudd, Jenas, Alnwick, Woodgate, Bentley.....

I feel like you aren't taking a lot of things into account though. On paper, yeah, Lamela is better than Bentley. But in real life Lamela is a kid thats moved to a new country and been injured for a year. Good Bentley or even shit Bentley would have been better to have last year than an injured Lamela.

Id pick a midfield of Sandro Modric Lennon VDV and Bale in that season over our current *gelling* inexperienced midfield of today. Woodgate and King when fit were a better pair than Kaboul and Vertonghen or Dawson and Vertonghen. Corluka or Walker are better than Naughton and an injured Walker. Defoe (back when he was still really good) and Crouch scored more goals than Adebayor and Soldado.

Id pick that first 11/16 over our current definitely. It had two players in it that are now at Madrid, a CB considered to have been talented enough to have potentially been one of the worlds best, two England 15 goal a season strikers, and more attacking Lennon and a decent Sandro.

Modric - weaker

That's quite an impressive amount of shite their Sammy. :baletroll:

We had more genuine match winners and Ledley at the back

Alot of potential and youth now and a big ass squad, you could argue either way and make a good case tbf
[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, King, Vertonghen, Old BAE, Sandro, Modric, Lamela, Eriksen, Bale, Adebayor][/formation]:avbdamn:
Bench: Friedel, Kaboul, Parker, Dembele, Lennon, VdV, Defoe
Note: All players at their "peak".

My God, we'd win the fucking league.

Last edited:
I feel like you aren't taking a lot of things into account though. On paper, yeah, Lamela is better than Bentley. But in real life Lamela is a kid thats moved to a new country and been injured for a year. Good Bentley or even shit Bentley would have been better to have last year than an injured Lamela.

Id pick a midfield of Sandro Modric Lennon VDV and Bale in that season over our current *gelling* inexperienced midfield of today. Woodgate and King when fit were a better pair than Kaboul and Vertonghen or Dawson and Vertonghen. Corluka or Walker are better than Naughton and an injured Walker. Defoe (back when he was still really good) and Crouch scored more goals than Adebayor and Soldado.

Id pick that first 11/16 over our current definitely. It had two players in it that are now at Madrid, a CB considered to have been talented enough to have potentially been one of the worlds best, two England 15 goal a season strikers, and more attacking Lennon and a decent Sandro.

You say Im not taking things into account but you are talking about King and Woodgate as fit, and using the same players as playing better to say the squad was stronger.

If Lennon and Sandro were better then, Id put it down to Harry which is my point really.
Defoe and Crouch I liked both, but we needed better for years....of course they scored more...we had a better manager playing a better system......

But fair enough, Id be happier to see a decent manager with our squad now, than the one then, where we would still be looking to improve on about 6 of the first team, for either talent or fitness.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, King, Vertonghen, Old BAE, Sandro, Modric, Lamela, Eriksen, Bale, Adebayor][/formation]:avbdamn:
Bench: Friedel, Kaboul, Parker, Dembele, Lennon, VdV, Defoe
Note: All players at their "peak".

My God, we'd win the fucking league.

Three starters from the old squad, two on the bench....I totally agree with that squad

When Harry was lining up for England job he said the players don't care who the manager is next year, when he was out of the running and wanted a bigger contract he said the players need to know who the manager is long term (obviously I am paraphrasing). I think this was the straw for Levy. You don't play press games with Levy after giving up a 10 point lead from 3rd in Feb!

Back
Top Bottom