Your Expected Lineup Come September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The evidence Sandro's headed out is pretty overwhelming at this point mate. I don't think it has anything to do with age or ability either, rather the fact he can't stay fit to save his life and the physios may have concern with his ability to recover facing the demands of the Prem. Considering Poch's system features a high intensity full press, these fears may also be amplified.

And you're right, Poch did improve many young players. However, Saints also have considerably less expectations and less resources available. Therefore, considering our own expectations of getting fourth, I think we'll see a mix of both continuing to buy improvements when needed, as well as improving the young players and especially some of the ones we spent big on last summer. My guess is the first two names on Poch's mind when offered the job were Lamela and Eriksen, not Falque and Ceballos.

I'm not really one for transfer gossip personally. Until Sandro's tweeting bye i won't accept he's off.
I agree that we'll buy where needed.. which i think we have done with Davies and Vorm. But I'm not too sure about centre back, it all really depends on Kabouls fitness. I think we're more likely to bring in a young 4th/5th choice centre back than a big signing.

regardless of our aims, i still think one of the big factors for MP's appointment would be his work with the youth, developing the players etc. Time will tell though i guess, not that long till the season starts now.

I don't disagree with the overarching concept of Pochettino's upcoming reign. However, I think that our CB situation is as troubling as LB was. Especially with Dawson leaving. MP was a CB in his playing days and my guess is he will bring in at least two. Then I think Sandro is gone unfortunately. Lots of rumors he wants to go and that doesn't surprise me too much. Poch will want to bring in a guy in Schneiderlin who knows his system. Younger than Sandro, more complete, and no injury concerns. He will be mostly be bought with the Sandro money. Daniel cashes out high on Sandro. Win for Poch, win for Levy. It makes sense.

Overall, I think by the end of the transfer window we'll have mostly just addressed our putrid backline from last season. A LW would be a big cherry on top. Ultimately with our huge squad we can afford to sell a few players from deeper positions to address weaker positions (ex: Siggy swap for Davies) like LB, CB, and potentially LW. My guess is that we'll still break even in regards to money spent while bringing in 5-6 new players with about the same amount going out. Our current net spend is about -6m.
No way!!! You're mad. we've got 4 decent CB's... we had ONE average left back. Vertonghen is linked with barca constantly, chirices is young and promising, Kaboul is pretty good on his day and an absolute beast, if he can get back to full fitness he'd be great... and Dawson, he may not be great against fast strikers and that but he can still do a job against lower teams, i'd rather have Dawson against... Andy Carroll than Vertonghen or Chirices.

I think we're more likely to sign someone with potential than a first choice centre back.

I'm not really one for transfer gossip personally. Until Sandro's tweeting bye i won't accept he's off.
I agree that we'll buy where needed.. which i think we have done with Davies and Vorm. But I'm not too sure about centre back, it all really depends on Kabouls fitness. I think we're more likely to bring in a young 4th/5th choice centre back than a big signing.

regardless of our aims, i still think one of the big factors for MP's appointment would be his work with the youth, developing the players etc. Time will tell though i guess, not that long till the season starts now.

Again, I'm not disputing the fact Poch has a proven track record of improving the younguns, simply that it won't be anywhere close to the same degree Poch did at Saints. Also, keep in mind, they spent quite a bit anyway that summer by their standards in bringing in Osvaldo, Wanyama, and Lovren. Would be very surprising given our expectations and resources, he were to spend that much less.

Also, if you acquaint yourself with Poch's high line tactics and how he works his CB's, I think you may come to be a bit more hesitant on relying on solely Kaboul and a youth choice. I don't blame you at all for avoiding transfer shenanigans, but if you didn't you'd also know that we've seen overwhelming reports that we are looking for one. I put very little stock in a lone bit of ITK, but when there's just a pile of them suggesting something, you have to consider something may be up and then consider the context. That context is Poch's system, therefore such an acquisition makes a helluva lot of sense.

No way!!! You're mad. we've got 4 decent CB's... we had ONE average left back. Vertonghen is linked with barca constantly, chirices is young and promising, Kaboul is pretty good on his day and an absolute beast, if he can get back to full fitness he'd be great... and Dawson, he may not be great against fast strikers and that but he can still do a job against lower teams, i'd rather have Dawson against... Andy Carroll than Vertonghen or Chirices.

I think we're more likely to sign someone with potential than a first choice centre back.

I actually agree on Dawson. I wouldn't mind having him around to play teams that hoof the ball. I know you aren't into transfer rumors but Dawson looks like one who is halfway out the door. The real problematic one is Kaboul. Obviously he's good but he could take a knock at any point and end up missing the whole season. His health is such a wild card. If he is included in our plans then IMO you need five CBs. You can't gamble on his health. Chiriches and Vertonghen both had significant health issues as last year. Plus we're jinxed with CB health.

So the way I see it, we bring in one 1st team quality CB and then also a young CB like Lascelles. Pochettino will obviously have a special eye on the position he played.

I actually agree on Dawson. I wouldn't mind having him around to play teams that hoof the ball. I know you aren't into transfer rumors but Dawson looks like one who is halfway out the door. The real problematic one is Kaboul. Obviously he's good but he could take a knock at any point and end up missing the whole season. His health is such a wild card. If he is included in our plans then IMO you need five CBs. You can't gamble on his health. Chiriches and Vertonghen both had significant health issues as last year. Plus we're jinxed with CB health.

So the way I see it, we bring in one 1st team quality CB and then also a young CB like Lascelles. Pochettino will obviously have a special eye on the position he played.
If he's any sort of decent manager he'll give all positions equal thought.
I wouldn't be surprised (and personally, i wouldn't be bothered in the slightest) if our squad didn't change at all. if our CB's were Vertonghen Chirices Kaboul Dawson Fryers and Capoue.

I get that people like signing new players... but it doesn't bother me. Our squad is fine as it is. We need a manager to get the best out of them more than anything. Poch is our best signing this summer, without doubt.

Kinsmann and sheringham, imagine if we had a decent defence when we had them as our forwards. So annoying how bad at the back we where back then, could have done something. Imagine our current team but instead of soldado and ade, a young sheringham and klknsmann.

[formation="4231, Lloris, Walker, Chiriches, Vertonghen, Davies, Sandro, Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen, Townsend, Adebayor"][/formation]

At this moment in time Dembele, Sandro and Eriksen is by far and away the strongest midfield we have IMO. Paulinho isn't good enough, Eriksen is a nailed-on started behind the striker. Sandro and Dembele would be very hard to break down as well (Dembele isn't suited forward IMo. He has good energy, is a good passer and a tough tackler and I think he would work much better from deep.

This is just a formation going on the players we have at this particular moment. Should we sign Griezman, for example, he would be nailed on for a place on the left-wing, for me.

Walker, Lloris, Davies all pick themselves, and I think we have to get Adebayor up front for the start of the season. He's more adept to Rickie Lambert's role at Southampton so would probably suit Pochettino better at this moment in time. The wingers also pick themselves for me - Lamela will have a good season if he stays fit.

The centre-backs are a case for dispute. For me, Dawson isn't good enough to start. Vertonghen is nailed-on for me - so the it's between Kaboul and Chiriches to play next to him. Although I think Chiriches can be a bit of a liability, he has a much bigger potential to form a partnership with Vertognhen due to the fact that Kaboul is never more then a trip over a thick blade of grass from an injury. He was a very, very good defender a few seasons ago - but I fear he has 'Ledley King syndrome' (a weak joint affects the muscles, leading to pulls and tears etc).

For me, that is logically the best formation. I like BALANCE in my teams and that has it all for me - pace, power, defensive solidarity, height, set-piece production, goals and most importantly - ability to dominate the centre of the pitch.

Last edited:
If he's any sort of decent manager he'll give all positions equal thought.
I wouldn't be surprised (and personally, i wouldn't be bothered in the slightest) if our squad didn't change at all. if our CB's were Vertonghen Chirices Kaboul Dawson Fryers and Capoue.

I get that people like signing new players... but it doesn't bother me. Our squad is fine as it is. We need a manager to get the best out of them more than anything. Poch is our best signing this summer, without doubt.

Yeah quoting that backline didn't really convince me. There's only so much that coaching can improve and our defense last year was continually making individual mistakes that led to goals. Pochettino can't make Dawson faster, Kaboul fitter, or Chiriches bigger. I'd prefer he was given some tools to improve the defense rather than just coaching them up a bit. Overall, coaching was far from the only reason our defense got dicked last year. Competent coaching with help but MP is a coach, not a miracle worker.

If we stick with what we currently have:

-------------Lloris------------
Walker-Vlad-Vert-Davies
---Dembele---Capoue---
Lamela---Eriksen---Chadli
----------Soldado------------

Back
Top Bottom