Your Expected Lineup Come September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you consider Davies and Vorm big signings? Frankly, I'd view Griezmann as a big signing, and Kono as well as Schneiderlin as our level signings. Also keep in mind, we received a fat fuckin check from the TV money this year, and we'll also likely make a decent chunk of change from the Sandro sale.

I do think we sometimes forget just how many players we sell, siggy, Livermore, Sandro maybe, holtby maybe not to
Mention a few others. I would sell all of them and paulinho to get Greizmann, schniderlin and bony as we have far to many CM's.

Do you consider Davies and Vorm big signings? Frankly, I'd view Griezmann as a big signing, and Kono as well as Schneiderlin as our level signings. Also keep in mind, we received a fat fuckin check from the TV money this year, and we'll also likely make a decent chunk of change from the Sandro sale.
Both will play more than 10 first team games, both cost more than a few million... and In my opinion, both are key to us doing well this season. So tbh yeah i do consider them major signings. We signed 7 players this time last year, i can't see us signing more than 3 this year.

Lloris

Walker - Chiriches/New CB - Vertonghen - Davies

Sandro - Schneiderlin

Lamela - Eriksen - Griezmann

Soldado​

It's a decent team but it will most likely fall short of a top 4 place.

Both will play more than 10 first team games, both cost more than a few million... and In my opinion, both are key to us doing well this season. So tbh yeah i do consider them major signings. We signed 7 players this time last year, i can't see us signing more than 3 this year.

So only one more then? Can't see that happening with all the players linked to leave. Sandro and Dawson seem reasonably safe bets to leave. I feel pretty comfortable saying we'll buy Schneiderlin unless something happens with Sandro's sale, then a youth CB, and first team CB. LW is more up in the air, but I feel it could happen if the right deal came along.

We may have bought 7 players last year, but everyone besides Eriksen didn't adapt particularly well and has been linked to a departure at one point. Plus, they weren't brought in by our current coach. I don't know what to think but I know that any new coach likes to get players that he wants in and I'm sure Pochettino is just the same. Three seems very low.

New coach, new TV money, our rivals are strengthening significantly, and a solid number of sales on the cards. Not really the same situation as last year, or others. And again, I don't view a backup keeper signed for 2-3 mil or left back straight swapped for a squad player as "major signings" at all. I view them as necessary signings. I'll admit that a left winger is a bit of a luxury, but that's only because we massively need the improvement. At left back, center back, and CDM if Sandro leaves, those are all absolutely necessary acquisitions even with what we already have.

Lloris
Walker - chiriches - vertonghen - davies
---------------schneiderlin - paulinho
Lamela - eriksen - holtby
Soldado

Put Holtby there because I dont know who is coming in at LW and would prefer Holtby to the other options.

So only one more then? Can't see that happening with all the players linked to leave. Sandro and Dawson seem reasonably safe bets to leave. I feel pretty comfortable saying we'll buy Schneiderlin unless something happens with Sandro's sale, then a youth CB, and first team CB. LW is more up in the air, but I feel it could happen if the right deal came along.

We may have bought 7 players last year, but everyone besides Eriksen didn't adapt particularly well and has been linked to a departure at one point. Plus, they weren't brought in by our current coach. I don't know what to think but I know that any new coach likes to get players that he wants in and I'm sure Pochettino is just the same. Three seems very low.

But think, what was Poch's big success at Southampton...
He turned ordinary players and young players into great players. Does that not sound like Daniel Levy's wet dream? I think we're more likely to see Bentaleb than Schneiderlin. I may be wrong of course but in my opinion, the reason Pochettino got the job is because the club don't want to spend shit loads of money anytime soon. We needed a left back, as Rose is the only player we have thats really a left back.. and he's the scapegoat of the month at the minute. All in all, our current squad plus youth players is decent. The only way i think we'll sign anymore players is if someone does leave. Im not too sure that will happen though. Dawson maybe because he's getting on but he's still club captain and a perfectly acceptable 4th choice. Sandro i don't think we'll leave either, still young etc.

Ade in his prime better than Klinsmann and Sheringham? Are you being serious?
Bear in mind i was born in 1991.. my memory of sheringham and Klinsman may not be great. But yeah, i feel if we had Adebayor and Soldado at their peaks they'd certainly be at a similar level if not better to Sheringham and Klinsman. Controversial i know, sue me.

He turned ordinary players and young players into great players. Does that not sound like Daniel Levy's wet dream? I think we're more likely to see Bentaleb than Schneiderlin. I may be wrong of course but in my opinion, the reason Pochettino got the job is because the club don't want to spend shit loads of money anytime soon. We needed a left back, as Rose is the only player we have thats really a left back.. and he's the scapegoat of the month at the minute. All in all, our current squad plus youth players is decent. The only way i think we'll sign anymore players is if someone does leave. Im not too sure that will happen though. Dawson maybe because he's getting on but he's still club captain and a perfectly acceptable 4th choice. Sandro i don't think we'll leave either, still young etc.

The evidence Sandro's headed out is pretty overwhelming at this point mate. I don't think it has anything to do with age or ability either, rather the fact he can't stay fit to save his life and the physios may have concern with his ability to recover facing the demands of the Prem. Considering Poch's system features a high intensity full press, these fears may also be amplified.

And you're right, Poch did improve many young players. However, Saints also have considerably less expectations and less resources available. Therefore, considering our own expectations of getting fourth, I think we'll see a mix of both continuing to buy improvements when needed, as well as improving the young players and especially some of the ones we spent big on last summer. My guess is the first two names on Poch's mind when offered the job were Lamela and Eriksen, not Falque and Ceballos.

I really don't see the total need for schneiderlin, I'd personally keep our current set of centre mids and just invest in a solid centre back and left winger with a striker as a final thought.

I don't disagree with the overarching concept of Pochettino's upcoming reign. However, I think that our CB situation is as troubling as LB was. Especially with Dawson leaving. MP was a CB in his playing days and my guess is he will bring in at least two. Then I think Sandro is gone unfortunately. Lots of rumors he wants to go and that doesn't surprise me too much. Poch will want to bring in a guy in Schneiderlin who knows his system. Younger than Sandro, more complete, and no injury concerns. He will be mostly be bought with the Sandro money. Daniel cashes out high on Sandro. Win for Poch, win for Levy. It makes sense.

Overall, I think by the end of the transfer window we'll have mostly just addressed our putrid backline from last season. A LW would be a big cherry on top. Ultimately with our huge squad we can afford to sell a few players from deeper positions to address weaker positions (ex: Siggy swap for Davies) like LB, CB, and potentially LW. My guess is that we'll still break even in regards to money spent while bringing in 5-6 new players with about the same amount going out. Our current net spend is about -6m.

Bear in mind i was born in 1991.. my memory of sheringham and Klinsman may not be great. But yeah, i feel if we had Adebayor and Soldado at their peaks they'd certainly be at a similar level if not better to Sheringham and Klinsman. Controversial i know, sue me.

Being young is no excuse for being stupid. Eriksen has potential but Adebayor isn't fit to lace teddy or klinsmans boots.

I really don't see the total need for schneiderlin, I'd personally keep our current set of centre mids and just invest in a solid centre back and left winger with a striker as a final thought.

Putting a player he trusts and who knows the system in the center of the pitch has to be appealing for Pochettino. Buying a 24 year old French member of their World Cup squad who is just bursting on the scene now and qualifies as a homegrown player appeals to Levy. Especially if he can get most of the money from injury prone Sandro. It make sense on both sides IMO.

Forget Teddy and Klinsman, I defend Adebayor against some of the shit he gets but he wouldn't lace Berbacunt's boots either. We've had far better, no matter how good he undoubtedly can be.

Being young is no excuse for being stupid. Eriksen has potential but Adebayor isn't fit to lace teddy or klinsmans boots.
Teddy was my favourite player growing up, i had (still have...) a Teddy teddy. He was quality, obviously. Thats why he ended up at united. But i just think that Adebayor at his best was... unplayable. Think that goal against Chelsea etc.. or unfortunately some of the goals he scored against us.
I may be wrong but i feel if we did a poll of fans of all teams and not just us, overall Adebayor would come out ahead.

I like Vlad a lot, but I'm not sure a partnership of him and Jan is disciplined enough for the Premier League. They are both exceptionally good with the ball at their feet for their position, but they also have a tendency to drift too far forward and get caught out. Vlad deserves a chance though, but ideally we'd find a more traditional partner for Jan, someone like Daws, but with actual functioning legs.

Teddy was my favourite player growing up, i had (still have...) a Teddy teddy. He was quality, obviously. Thats why he ended up at united. But i just think that Adebayor at his best was... unplayable. Think that goal against Chelsea etc.. or unfortunately some of the goals he scored against us.
I may be wrong but i feel if we did a poll of fans of all teams and not just us, overall Adebayor would come out ahead.

Ha ha really? I would take you up on that.

Being brilliant on the odd occasion doesn't make you better than someone who was just.....very good

Back
Top Bottom