Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

can we not just celebrate a goal normally

What, like this?
audience_applause.jpg%3Fw%3D584%26h%3D387

I knew someone who got that excited after his team scored a goal he wanted to shag his missus or whatever was available. :love:

The psychological aspect of a footballers make up is a rather important point Mick. You asked the question about Bentley and got an answer or two including perhaps an excessive alcohol condition as suggested above. For Ade to play well against City he will have to be positively motivated, something I think the squad have lacked at times during this season to date has been ensuring the mind as well as the body are up for it. So if you think a footballers state of mind is unimportant Mick, well so be it!!
And had you explained that in your first response, I would have given you a totally different reply.
In the past you have made several snide comments to me, and my pavlovian response to an unqualified statement - like the one you originally posted, was that it was just another dig at me.
If your original intent was the one I am responding to, then I apologise for the reply I gave you, despite the fact that it comes across as patronising.
I am well aware of the emotional impact on performance of people who indulge in sport, even at the level I have competed at.

Not sure to exactly what Mick is alluding to, but it's absolutely true that the psyche of the players is an incredibly prominent component of the game. To refute this fact is blatant ignorance.
I understand that - his original response wasn't clear to me - and I took it as yet another in a string of carping comments that he has made at my expense in the past.

Dude I'm all about some free speech for all. I hope you celebrate whatever goal is scored in whatever manner you damn well please and I'd fight to the death for your right to do so.
wow this has suddenly got way too deep for me lol. All I'm saying is I'm not keen on it.

p.s. if this was mentioned on the pod I haven't listened to it so it's not a dig at anyone :love:

And had you explained that in your first response, I would have given you a totally different reply.
In the past you have made several snide comments to me, and my pavlovian response to an unqualified statement - like the one you originally posted, was that it was just another dig at me.
If your original intent was the one I am responding to, then I apologise for the reply I gave you, despite the fact that it comes across as patronising.
I am well aware of the emotional impact on performance of people who indulge in sport, even at the level I have competed at.
All good Mick, perhaps the club could look to spend some money on hiring a good motivational psych then we could be right in the mix.

All good Mick, perhaps the club could look to spend some money on hiring a good motivational psych then we could be right in the mix.
I have a suspicion that Adebayor uses his performances as a statement, rather than as a by product of his emotional well being - whether that approach would have worked for Bentley I have no idea. I saw an interview with him shortly after we had pissed away all that money on him, and he didn't come across as a thinker on any level, let alone have the capability to have any of his thoughts disturbed by his emotions.
I suspect that over indulgence in toxic substances may be closer to the truth.

wow this has suddenly got way too deep for me lol. All I'm saying is I'm not keen on it.

p.s. if this was mentioned on the pod I haven't listened to it so it's not a dig at anyone :love:
it was SpursDrum who I think tweeted it, I think some people will do it but unlikely all of our fans would do it. It's hard to not look naff when doing something like that, unless it is in protest at something (ie. turning your back to the pitch, not celebrating a goal, etc).

No offence taken anyway. x

I understand that - his original response wasn't clear to me - and I took it as yet another in a string of carping comments that he has made at my expense in the past.

My apologies for not making it clear, but I didn't mean to point the finger at you. As I said, I wasn't exactly sure to what you were alluding, and I appreciate you making your intent clear. But I have seen in general from many football fans an almost adamant refusal to accept the impact of the psychological component. Baffling.

Haha I typed it with a jovial manner in my head (and with a redneck accent), guess it's fair it doesn't come across in text.

it was SpursDrum who I think tweeted it, I think some people will do it but unlikely all of our fans would do it. It's hard to not look naff when doing something like that, unless it is in protest at something (ie. turning your back to the pitch, not celebrating a goal, etc).

No offence taken anyway. x
ah yeah I've seen his tweet & yep agree with the rest of that <3 xx

The past? You mean the season where he was the best striker in the league in terms of goals and assists two seasons ago?

No, "the past" being his Woolwich days, the conduct during his Man City days (besides the fact that it does go some way to separate him from the gooners); celebrations to wind up the crowd, stamping on RvP etc. etc.

Wasn't sure the comment was needed, as it's obvious far too many people hold a degree of hostility towards him - you don't have to go back many pages (AlMacca_ for example) - I judge a player based on what he does for us and under Harry and Tim he's been superb

Poor old Ade... when he doesn't celebrate other people's goals, he gets a tough time... when he comes up with his own 'unique' goal celebration, he gets a tougher time...

...at least he's not TRADEMARKED it.....

....yet!

Is that a documented thing, or just an assumption that you'd have to be pissed to play as badly as he does now?
I don't see the UK papers as much as i did when I was in the UK, so I don't keep up on the gossip.

At the moment he doesnt play. He is 29, and given he never had pace should be good to go for a few seasons yet - but cannot find a club.

Even West Ham and Blackburn where he had recent loans arent interested. Its bizarre really.

No questioning the guys quality, but his head is clearly beyonf repair...

I seem to recall a lot of focus on him trying new ventures while he was with us, a beach bar in magaluf (or similar) and concert/gig promotion were reported at the time.

At the moment he doesnt play. He is 29, and given he never had pace should be good to go for a few seasons yet - but cannot find a club.

Even West Ham and Blackburn where he had recent loans arent interested. Its bizarre really.

No questioning the guys quality, but his head is clearly beyonf repair...

I seem to recall a lot of focus on him trying new ventures while he was with us, a beach bar in magaluf (or similar) and concert/gig promotion were reported at the time.

I felt that when he did play for us under Harry, he had good games - I understand Harry wasn't keen on him for his conduct in his personal life (drink driving? or something..) and how he has personal values based on the accident that nearly killed him (harry) - Plus he was apparently pissed about this:

His face nearly melted off bless him.

Despite that, didn't harry try to sign him for QPR but his wages were too high (HR in a typical 'try to re-sign players you froze out' tactic)

Back
Top Bottom