Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well if anything, speed is one and single most overrated attribute in world of attacking players.

Go and find posts about Adama Traore for proof. Also regarding "teaching finishing and decision making". Go on, teach him finishing and decision making then and earn yourself like 20-30-40 million by it. It either is not as simple or footballing clubs and managers just really hate money.

When I was looking at the Palace game (specially first 60 min), I just couldn't stop thinking that... if only we had someone of Werner's pace and Kulu's brain. We actually would need a combination of both - good pace and good brain. Also a good touch but that already is there in case of both of them.
Can't agree about speed being overrated. Traore yes, but Mbappe, Vinicius Jnr, Salah etc etc.

Jury is out on Werner IMO. See how does over next 10 games. Potentially a good squad option. More concerned about upgrading Kulu with Netto or whoever.

I’m really on the fence. I like him, I think he’s a nice lad and works hard. He’s cheap etc. BUT for the level we want to be at I feel we need a winger that can take on his man and has a higher output.

Under playing style Wikipedia says: "Vlahović is potent and clinical in the penalty box and is a devastating finisher in the penalty area, as he is able to hold his position in order to pin the opposition back into their box, before swiftly making a movement into the channels as his team look to locate areas within the final third."
I’m a massive fan of his. He is probably the best 9 out there that we’d maybe push the boat out for and is the right age. Still young but proven and has all the attributes that we need for a striker. He’s big,strong,mobile,can hold it in and bring others into play,very good in the air but most importantly he can finish. He’s always between the posts and that’s where he gets all his goals from.
I don’t think will go for another striker unless we sell Richy because I highly doubt we spend a fortune on a striker to not play every week. The likelihood is we start with Sonny as our main striker and Richy back up. I think that would be a mistake because we need more quality in the front areas whether that’s wide or centrally or we stand still and keep fighting for 3rd at best. We need to take the leap and really go for it. Everything is in place now.

I feel we need a winger that can take on his man
In block 248 30 odd rows back from the corner flag in SE corner; in that 2nd half he had the beating of the defenders pretty much every time he tried.

And of course nailed on pen.

He's only played half a dozen games, absolutely no time to get used to Ange style. I think he's been pretty good so far and I expect him to improve with each game.

Edit: decent footie brain too. With the non-pen, he cut across his man to make sure he couldn't tackle him (and yes we know what happened lol). And with the one on one he immediately cut across the chasing defender to make sure any tackle would have to be from behind and instant red (except we know what would have happened).

I’m a massive fan of his. He is probably the best 9 out there that we’d maybe push the boat out for and is the right age. Still young but proven and has all the attributes that we need for a striker. He’s big,strong,mobile,can hold it in and bring others into play,very good in the air but most importantly he can finish. He’s always between the posts and that’s where he gets all his goals from.

It's doubtful he can press as intently and as consistently as we want though.

I don’t think will go for another striker unless we sell Richy because I highly doubt we spend a fortune on a striker to not play every week. The likelihood is we start with Sonny as our main striker and Richy back up. I think that would be a mistake because we need more quality in the front areas whether that’s wide or centrally or we stand still and keep fighting for 3rd at best. We need to take the leap and really go for it. Everything is in place now.

By your own wording it wouldn't be a mistake so long as we added to the wide areas.

Son is a proven unicorn (i.e. a 20 goal EPL striker).... Rich can be a double figures back-up ST and we have Veliz to service with game-time also. Unless we have unlimited trf budget it's simply not a crucial position........ We could (and would need to) spend upwards of 60/70 even 80m quid and still not have addressed our most pressing needs and still end up with less goals from our #1 ST than Sonny is already capable of.

By your own wording it wouldn't be a mistake so long as we added to the wide areas.

Son is a proven unicorn (i.e. a 20 goal EPL striker).... Rich can be a double figures back-up ST and we have Veliz to service with game-time also. Unless we have unlimited trf budget it's simply not a crucial position........ We could (and would need to) spend upwards of 60/70 even 80m quid and still not have addressed our most pressing needs and still end up with less goals from our #1 ST than Sonny is already capable of.
My only worry with going into next season with Sonny and Richy as our two strikers is if both get injured. Veliz still a kid and might or might not step up although I do like the look of him. To be honest I’d like to see us sign two wingers who are technically very good with decent pace who can take players on but can also link. To get to the next level I think we need another very good striker but i don’t think we will be spending too much in the summer.

My only worry with going into next season with Sonny and Richy as our two strikers is if both get injured. Veliz still a kid and might or might not step up although I do like the look of him.

The same predicament would befall any club that lost both their main STs..... Regardless of whether one of them is Vlahovic.

To be honest I’d like to see us sign two wingers who are technically very good with decent pace who can take players on but can also link. To get to the next level I think we need another very good striker but i don’t think we will be spending too much in the summer.

Two new wingers will make WAY much more impact upon what we already have.

Get rid of Gil and Solomon and bring Werner in on a permanent to be back up seems to make sense to me.

Probably pays for the transfer fee and wages alone (when you take Perisic into consideration too as LW depth)

The same predicament would befall any club that lost both their main STs..... Regardless of whether one of them is Vlahovic.

Two new wingers will make WAY much more impact upon what we already have.
I agree on that because that’s where it breaks down too much for me. Let’s be honest,we will keep Werner,Deki and Johnson will be there and likely Solomon. If we bring in a wide player it will be a Nusa type who’s very young. I can’t see us spending big money on Neto when we already have 4 wide players plus Sonny. Our wide players just now will produce in games but they’ll also let us down badly in games too and that’s why if we don’t replace them we will stand still.

He’s a very good dribbler.

Not just the 1 on 1 with a sublime first touch.

He made Palace have 2 men close to him often in the game, because he was such a threat and was taking his man on, brave on the ball and quality.

No question he starts against Villa.

Appreciate Richie isn't proven 20 goal PL material, though no question he has the clear potential to get 20 per season. I think with Son and Richie and then Veliz we are ok for CF options unless something freakish is available (e.g. Kane). More concerned with upgrading Kulu and Lo Celso (e.g. Netto and Eze)

Good price, good squad player, proven his worth in our team constellation, seemingly great attitude.
Ange loves him??

So what if hes not the second coming of christ!?

Hes not going to stand in the way of us getting a world class forward in any way. You could argue that if the fee was rumoured to be like 30-40m with wages at 200k a week, but its not close to that.

Its obviously good business and so Levy would never say no to that.

Sign him and also sign a better LW to start.

Son as a number 9 next season, Richy as back up or cash in if possible. Take a decision on whether any of our young strikers are ready to back up Son, if not go into the market with the Richy cash.

Flog Gil and Solomon. Perisic already gone.

It was such a Timo Werner performance. It would've been the absolutely dictionary definition of a Timo Werner performance if he had missed the open goal.

He is what he is and will never be more but will always be quite useful.

Well if anything, speed is one and single most overrated attribute in world of attacking players.

Go and find posts about Adama Traore for proof. Also regarding "teaching finishing and decision making". Go on, teach him finishing and decision making then and earn yourself like 20-30-40 million by it. It either is not as simple or footballing clubs and managers just really hate money.

When I was looking at the Palace game (specially first 60 min), I just couldn't stop thinking that... if only we had someone of Werner's pace and Kulu's brain. We actually would need a combination of both - good pace and good brain. Also a good touch but that already is there in case of both of them.
If one is seeking a player with pace and decision-making and finishing..good luck trying to convince mbappe to join the postecoglu project.

For the rest of us mortals we just need a team with good mix of all the attributes that gel together and play as a unit

Sign him and also sign a better LW to start.

Son as a number 9 next season, Richy as back up or cash in if possible. Take a decision on whether any of our young strikers are ready to back up Son, if not go into the market with the Richy cash.

Flog Gil and Solomon. Perisic already gone.

We don't need to flog Solomon, so no thanks.

Gil, yep.

Back
Top Bottom