Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You could instantly tell there was something there with Bale ,Modric & Sonny

It might have taken them a while to fully settle and get that consistency but you could see it was there

I genuinely haven't seen anything to suggest Johnson will work out
Bale was scoring bangers at 17 free kicks the talent was always there. Son was highly rated at hamburg as the next big thing from their academy. And modric destroyed england in 2008 and showcased his talent. Not seen that from Johnson

Bale was scoring bangers at 17 free kicks the talent was always there. Son was highly rated at hamburg as the next big thing from their academy. And modric destroyed england in 2008 and showcased his talent. Not seen that from Johnson

We were quite happy to get rid of Bale for 500k just a few years after signing him for close to 10m.

You must have seen something in Johnson when you watched him two years ago

April 2022:
brennan johnson would be a great signing, get rid of winks too

His negatives are all coachable. So let's see what our coach can do.

With all three players that you just mentioned you knew that each of them could turn a game in one moment if the opportunity arose

When Johnson gets the ball I’m not hopeful he’ll do anything other than some mundane pass or poor cross

I know it’s early days but it doesn’t look good and I hope that he doesn’t start against Brentford

People saying they always knew Bale and Son would come good?

Course you did. If this forum existed back then you would have all been on here every day ripping them like you are Johnson.

Bunch of jokers.

Last edited:

Course you did. If this forum existed back then you would have all been on here every day tipping them like you are Johnson.

Bunch of jokers.
I did

dc comics joker GIF

Course you did. If this forum existed back then you would have all been on here every day tipping them like you are Johnson.

Bunch of jokers.

Bale started with much promise but by the end of his second season, he had only started 20 games, he was injury prone, jumped out of tackles and we couldn't win a game with him in the team. We were going to sell him to Birmingham for 500k or so. But then BAE got injured so Bale got his chance at left back and never looked back.

What I will say was that Bale was fearless. Didn't care who he was up against, he was going to take you on. A freak athlete too. Probably helped that he was a left back so wasn't under pressure to provide in the final third like Johnson is.

That's in no way me comparing Johnson to Bale in terms of ability. But sometimes things just end up clicking and with the right coaching, the right system and the right team mixed with the right mentality, you can improve beyond measure.

Bunch of jokers.

Son was all over the shop his first 1-2 seasons, such dramatic improvements in his game. Bale obviously was always elite physically but grew into a monster.

Only player to me that look nailed on pretty early was Kane, something about his football intelligence just stood out straight away, reminded me of Sheringham early on. He was slow, gangly and awkward but always seemed to hit the right space, hit the right pass, just clever as a player even in his first games.

Johnson for me has a lot of tools in terms of pace and skill, it’s his decision making that needs most work. If he fixes it we have a serious player, if not we have a frustrating player.

Bale started with much promise but by the end of his second season, he had only started 20 games, he was injury prone, jumped out of tackles and we couldn't win a game with him in the team. We were going to sell him to Birmingham for 500k or so. But then BAE got injured so Bale got his chance at left back and never looked back.

What I will say was that Bale was fearless. Didn't care who he was up against, he was going to take you on. A freak athlete too. Probably helped that he was a left back so wasn't under pressure to provide in the final third like Johnson is.

That's in no way me comparing Johnson to Bale in terms of ability. But sometimes things just end up clicking and with the right coaching, the right system and the right team mixed with the right mentality, you can improve beyond measure.

Agree and I think this is the right coaching and situation for Johnson

Son was all over the shop his first 1-2 seasons, such dramatic improvements in his game. Bale obviously was always elite physically but grew into a monster.

Only player to me that look nailed on pretty early was Kane, something about his football intelligence just stood out straight away, reminded me of Sheringham early on. He was slow, gangly and awkward but always seemed to hit the right space, hit the right pass, just clever as a player even in his first games.

Johnson for me has a lot of tools in terms of pace and skill, it’s his decision making that needs most work. If he fixes it we have a serious player, if not we have a frustrating player.

Exactly what I’m saying

Bale had a touch of class even during that 20 game run, you could see his ability with his left foot. Showed far more promise than dross like Johnson and Sess even though he was v young and still growing (also timid)

Bale had a touch of class even during that 20 game run, you could see his ability with his left foot. Showed far more promise than dross like Johnson and Sess even though he was v young and still growing (also timid)

He started well. Great debut against United, scored a few against Fulham and Woolwich.

But then got injured and was absolutely dogshit until two years later.

Was an absolute fanny too. Scared to tackle, scared going into 50/50s. Likely due to his ankle and he used to wear a hair pin in the front of his hair to keep it out of his eyes so didn't like to head the ball either.

Something ended up clicking though. Probably Redknapps man management arm round the shoulder type of personality that helped him get that confidence back.

But let's not rewrite history because of what he become. Good for about 5 games when be signed. Got injured. Stayed injured. Shit when given opportunities upon return and it took an injury to another player for him not to end up in the Championship for half a mill.

He started well. Great debut against United, scored a few against Fulham and Woolwich.

Was an absolute fanny too. Scared to tackle, scared going into 50/50s. Likely due to his ankle and he used to wear a hair pin in the front of his hair to keep it out of his eyes so didn't like to head the ball either.

Something ended up clicking though. Probably Redknapps man management arm round the shoulder type of personality that helped him get that confidence back.

But let's not rewrite history because of what he become. Good for about 5 games when be signed. Got injured. Stayed injured. Shit when given opportunities upon return and it took an injury to another player for him not to end up in the Championship for half a mill.
Agree with all that but his touch and balance were magic as was his technique striking the ball. Had no idea he would evolve into a physical machine but he always looked a hugely promising prospect to me

Johnson is older and doesn’t have those technical skills and never will, he can certainly improve tho

Agree with all that but his touch and balance were magic as was his technique striking the ball. Had no idea he would evolve into a physical machine but he always looked a hugely promising prospect to me

Johnson is older and doesn’t have those technical skills and never will, he can certainly improve tho

I think from a technical standpoint, it's harsh to judge anyone to Bale.

I think from the standpoint of massive improvements, Johnson can be compared. If he's hard working and has the right mentality, he will improve tenfold.

His issues are all coachable in my view. Technically, I don't think he's even that bad. He's no Bale, granted. But he's put in some excellent crosses since he's been here.

I do think he's better when he doesn't have to think too much though. Pure instinct. A bit like Son in that regard.

Course you did. If this forum existed back then you would have all been on here every day ripping them like you are Johnson.

Bunch of jokers.

I remember Bale when he first came and we first played him at FB without much joy and it wasn’t until Harry pushed him further up the field that he came good

Agree with most of that but Kane wasn’t exactly a great success when loaned out

Ange certainly needs to get his arm around BJ certainly

I was in the ground when two-thirds of the stadium booed his name pre game. The revisionism is funny. As for Kane most of us liked the boy as he wasn't a pussy like Bale, but he was a placeholder till we could buy a top player.

Back
Top Bottom