Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

View: https://x.com/apolloshotuded/status/1751003310847303794?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

The margins are thin for a player that does Brennan’s job.

More form and confidence he probably has the composure to cut it back to Porro but he’s swimming in the negative pressure to succeed for now that he rushed to look for the thing he’s done well which is find Richy.

It will come

And also every manager / fan wants the winger with all the qualities. But they're priced at 100mil. I expect something lacking for BJ's price and experience. Its is in decision making, for now. That's not hard to coach.

Gvardiol is a CB playing at LB. Werner had Walker, one of the fastest RB's around on his side. Despite that, more than double City's attacks came down our right/Johnson's side

This is a touch map showing Werner and Johnsons touches. It doesn't really prove that Johnson tracks back less, but just look at the amount and location of Werner's touches compared to Johnson's. Werner is dropping further back into our defensive areas and seeing almost double the ball than Johnson. He's certainly contributing more in terms of defensive game play and offensive build up.

The point I was responding to was about tracking back leaving Porro 2 v 1. I don’t think he did. Gvarvidal really stayed deep and more to the point I don’t think this manager wants everyone coming back and dragging the whole team to their own third. He probably wants options up the pitch when winning it and working the ball through it.

Again on the attacking areas Splitting it into three is not that detailed or specific imo. Man City arent really a hug the touch line go on the outside team. Foden from the right drifts in on his left. So he could be splitting the two attacking zones on his own. Udogie done a lot of his defending starting wider and coming in. Also feel like maybe a big chunk of the Man City left percentage could of been when Doku came on who does like holding onto the ball in those areas and I think Johnson was off far most if not all that time.

Agree. 1-2 players in the squad is a nice to have (e.g. Werner) for depth. Brennan's shown flashes of promise (a couple of good assists) but I'm not entirely sure what he contributes in this system.

Admittedly I'm a sucker for more "traditional" wingers with energy to burn down the flank. We've seen how well we can play with fullbacks on the overlap, taking the ball to the byline with runners from deep flooding the box. More of that.
Well that ain’t gonna happen. Our FBs are so inverted we don’t even have any one in those positions so teams exploit it. V city not once did even try to keep them wide and go on an overlap. How many teams play like that creat chances. We just don’t do it enough. When we have ie get Porro wide to put the ball in the box we score. Porro is much better at crossing the bj anyway so if bj ain’t gonna beat his man if he had Porro go on the overlap he’d have a simple forward pass on. ATM he just gets the ball then passes it back,

He doesn’t track back. That can be drummed into him.

More concerning is how basic his attacking play is. I genuinely can’t remember seeing him square a defender up and try and play round them.

He a) passes back or b) hits the first man in a cross.

Definitely looking like we overpaid but I guess that's the PL tax for you.

It's not the end of the world as he doesn't play much with everyone fit.

Our attack still needs a major facelift in the summer though.

More concerning is how basic his attacking play is. I genuinely can’t remember seeing him square a defender up and try and play round them.

agree - he doesn’t bring a lot to the table

Surely with the pace he’d be the one you’d want on the shoulder of the last defender when we win it back. Think Ange doesn’t want any of the three forwards coming back. Before you realise the whole teams camped on the edge of our area. Thats not what you want especially against City.

We push high to try and win the ball back high, if we don’t win it there the defence squeezes up. The idea is not to retreat and drag everyone back. Maybe they all could do better winning the ball back high although I think I saw we were one of the top teams winning it high. Not tracking back Is barking up the wrong tree
We didn’t defend high or win the ball back high v city. The forwards and midfield bar richi did not press at all. City did all the pressing and kept us pinned back. That is why when we had the ball we could have easily passed long over the top for Werner but we chose no to for some reason. It looked like we would rather piss about with the ball at the back hoping to break the press.

These are Johnson's stats in that city game...

Touches: 22
Accurate passes :7/14 (50%)
Key passes: 0
Possession Lost : 13
Big Chances missed : 1

Johnson is awful and a complete waste of money.
Indeed he is so far and don’t see much evidence of anything he can offer. I don’t get all those that keep saying “ there is a player”. Wdf does that even mean. What have these people seen that we haven’t? There is a player there who is on the pitch doing bigger all.

Indeed he is so far and don’t see much evidence of anything he can offer. I don’t get all those that keep saying “ there is a player”. Wdf does that even mean. What have these people seen that we haven’t? There is a player there who is on the pitch doing bigger all.

This delusional, pansy mentality is precisely the reason why we haven't won a trophy in years....

Why are the fans accepting these players is beyond me...

Dribbling isn't really his game unfortunately.

Not going to pile-on but he’s had a string of pretty awful games. They don’t make a career at this point but it’s worrisome.
Just as worrying is that, according to the press, this was an Ange signing — someone he specifically wanted. I tend to agree given the price hardly made it a speculative club signing. Of course, it could have been entirely driven by data analysts and scouts.
But I wonder, given that he’s never managed above the SPL before, is Ange a good judge of EPL( top 4) talent? Obviously, here’s hoping.

Not going to pile-on but he’s had a string of pretty awful games. They don’t make a career at this point but it’s worrisome.
Just as worrying is that, according to the press, this was an Ange signing — someone he specifically wanted. I tend to agree given the price hardly made it a speculative club signing. Of course, it could have been entirely driven by data analysts and scouts.
But I wonder, given that he’s never managed above the SPL before, is Ange a good judge of EPL( top 4) talent? Obviously, here’s hoping.
Start worrying in a year if Johnson isn't showing signs of improving, this is way too early to be melting over form.

Start worrying in a year if Johnson isn't showing signs of improving,
Yeah, I gotcha.
I look at him game-to-game without judging — or, at least, trying not to judge — his potential career based on a handful of games. Neither Sonny, Bale nor Modric exactly pulled up trees at the beginning of their Spurs career.

Edited to add: but football supporters— especially Spurs fans — are a notoriously fickle bunch.

You could instantly tell there was something there with Bale ,Modric & Sonny

It might have taken them a while to fully settle and get that consistency but you could see it was there

I genuinely haven't seen anything to suggest Johnson will work out

Back
Top Bottom