Brighton vs Tottenham Hotspur (A) - Thursday 28th December 19:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

GCdxdCCX0AA1B_w
We don't see many clips of such tackles in X when others did that to us. If Romero, Biss, Royal did that, the videos will be plastered all over the Internet and made into memes. Really sad that we are always at the wrong receiving end.

TBH, I'm not sure if Son as our captain actually pressured the ref to look at such challenges with VAR. Our players need to be taught smarter and use the rules to our advantage. Other teams will call out the ref to do so and it's no coincidence you see some incidences went through VAR review that way. Madders being out we totally lost a voice into the refs ear.

That's why I really hate our players to be so nice sometimes. If Lamela is still here, I'll b championing him to be the captain all day long.

Last edited:
The writing has been on the wall for this type of result. We were really poor the last 30 minutes against Everton, they quite literally walked through us time after time. We also hung on for dear life against Forest, granted with ten men, but still fortunate to not concede multiple goals.

We allow an absurd amount of opportunities. Our expected goals against surely must be bottom half. We have no ability to stifle teams defensively. We’re either on the front foot or allowing a shot on target. There’s no in between.

All that said, you’d hope it’s mostly due to injuries and suspensions, but I’m concerned it’ll catch up to us in a bad way the next couple months.
Yes indeed it has been coming for a while, I mentioned this during the game.
We seem to start games quite well, then even if we are winning, then start to fall away alarmingly.
It looks as if, Ange thinks he can outscore the opposition every time, that might have worked in Scotland, but it won't work here.
Once teams press or push up against us, the team just seem to fall apart and give up too many chances.
I know there has been injuries, but we are not going to be scoring 6 or 7 every game to have to win, the team is so wide open it's embarrassing at times.
With another CL spot up for grabs, unless this keystone cop way of playing stops, we could miss out, especially now with clubs like West ham breathing down our neck.
Johnson brings nothing to the team, son always disappears when the going gets tough and Richarlsion isn't going to make it here.
When he returns from AFCON , Bissouma needs to find the player that started the season, then went off the rails.
Quite a few problems for the manager to resolve.

We don't see many clips of such tackles in X when others did that to us. If Romero, Biss, Royal did that, the videos will be plastered all over the Internet and made into memes. Really sad that we are always at the wrong receiving end.

TBH, I'm not sure if Son as our captain actually pressured the ref to look at such challenges with VAR. Our players need to be taught smarter and use the rules to our advantage. Other teams will call out the ref to do so and it's no coincidence you see some incidences went through VAR review that way. Madders being out we totally lost a voice into the refs ear.

That's why I really hate our players to be so nice sometimes. If Lamela is still here, I'll b championing him to be the captain all day long.
Also you see Lego Head and Klopp all over the officials - Ange needs to start doing this. Cause his nice guy/respect the refs thing - just means we’re getting the short end. It’s open season on our players.

IMO………

Ange ball can only work if we can cash in on our goal chances. The balls out strategy is going to naturally end up with opposition goals, (unless the defense is flawless) so out scoring them is essential.
We were terrible up front today. Not clinical enough, not even close.

As bad as our defending was our attack play was worse. During the first half their keeper couldn’t wait to kick the ball to one of our players and when he did they did nothing with it, for example

Also you see Lego Head and Klopp all over the officials - Ange needs to start doing this. Cause his nice guy/respect the refs thing - just means we’re getting the short end. It’s open season on our players.
I wouldn't wanna go to their extent of being such bellends. But IMHO we need to speak more to the 4th official from the sidelines by Ange and our assistant coaches. And our captains have to do the same on the field. We are just too fucking passive. This is really to protect our safety and rights.

We seem to start games quite well, then even if we are winning, then start to fall away alarmingly.
It looks as if, Ange thinks he can outscore the opposition every time, that might have worked in Scotland, but it won't work here.
Once teams press or push up against us, the team just seem to fall apart and give up too many chances.
I know there has been injuries, but we are not going to be scoring 6 or 7 every game to have to win, the team is so wide open it's embarrassing at times.
With another CL spot up for grabs, unless this keystone cop way of playing stops, we could miss out, especially now with clubs like West ham breathing down our neck.
Johnson brings nothing to the team, son always disappears when the going gets tough and Richarlsion isn't going to make it here.
When he returns from AFCON , Bissouma needs to find the player that started the season, then went off the rails.
Brilliant post. Spot on.

I seem to have to keep caveating my posts on here and my discussion points IRL with “I love the way we play but….”. With Spurs as with life it seems as if people take instantly binary positions on things.

Yes, our play is so open as to appear naive.
Also, yes, we’ve had a run of bad luck with injuries and suspensions, the like of which I cannot remember.
Yes, we have some very talented players (still fit) in the team. Also yes, some of these players go missing and ‘hide’.
And lastly, our lack of true, quality squad depth has really hurt us.

All of the above is true without being seen to ‘take sides’ or appropriate all the blame.

Just wish we could go back in time to the Chelsea game…..sigh

This is a terribly half-glass empty post.

Shame on people agreeing with this.

This is a terribly half-glass empty post.

Shame on people agreeing with this.
It's not half empty, it's what has been happening, have you not watched any games?
Teams have worked us out, push up high, because we don't have anything to beat the press.
Team is all over the place at the moment, miss placed passes from a number of players, no control over the game at all.
Watch Bournemouth get some sort of result this weekend, we are just too easy to play against.
It's not half empty, it's a fact.

Considering the number of injuries and suspensions we have alresdy suffered this season, we are doing incredibly well.

I think the PL is bang average in terms of real quality, which might explain it, but nobody living within the margins of reasonableness has just cause to moan.

What we need to try and find is real quality, akin to Vicario, Udogie, Van der Ven and Maddison.

It's not half empty, it's what has been happening, have you not watched any games?
Teams have worked us out, push up high, because we don't have anything to beat the press.
Team is all over the place at the moment, miss placed passes from a number of players, no control over the game at all.
Watch Bournemouth get some sort of result this weekend, we are just too easy to play against.
It's not half empty, it's a fact.
No it isn’t and we haven’t been worked out, it’s complete hyperbole on the back of a poor result and TBH I hope you stick to what you’re saying and don’t change your tune when we’re back spanking teams.

The manager has been here 6 months and has dealt with possibly the worst injury crisis in modern club history. In spite of that we’re 5th, 6 points off top and 4 off 2nd place (remembering that pre-season expectations seemed to be in the 6th - 8th range).

In the 10 games prior to our horrific injury list we went unbeaten and conceded 9 goals and had 4 clean sheets. In nearly every game during that run we dominated the opposition and completely controlled the game.

Now you’re pulling out quotes like “might have worked in Scotland but it won’t work here” and “once teams press up against us we fall apart”.

Of course we’re open at the back and passing pretty poorly, we have our only 2 competent CBs injured and the whole CM in front of them out too! The lack of appreciation for the situation the manager is in is fucking astounding.

Everyone on this forum needs to appreciate it’s going to be a really tough few games coming up with the lengthy absence list and just enjoy the games for what they are. There isn’t a manager in the world that could continue battering good sides with the absences we have.

Moreover, none of the world’s great managers right now would flex their tactics because of injuries in the way some are asking Ange to.

Pep came 3rd in his first season here, I remember many people calling him naive and unable to adapt to the PL at the end of that season. You know what happened? The league adapted to him ultimately not the other was around.

Arteta came 8th in his first 2 seasons whilst trying to implement his football. Klopp 8th, 4th and 4th in his first 3. Yet after 6 months of the best football we’ve seen in donkeys years here you’re trotting out quotes like that. It’s embarrassing.

Fans moan about trophies and success and then moan about the process the manager is implementing to get us that.

Shameful. Bring that same energy when we’re flying with a fully fit team mate. If you can’t see what Ange is trying to do and trying to build here you don’t deserve the success it’ll bring. You have to be fucking blind to not see the fantastic direction we’re travelling in.

Dr Zerbi seems to...they kicked lumps out of us, yet still managed to score a goal of the season contender, and he a constant attacking menace ... whilst playing a mix of Kids, and utilising the experienced players...

Yet if De Zerbi ever came to us, we'd probably turn him to mush!
Managing Brighton is not like managing Spurs . There's way less pressure and zero expectations. Teams dont actively get up to do them either

No it isn’t and we haven’t been worked out, it’s complete hyperbole on the back of a poor result and TBH I hope you stick to what you’re saying and don’t change your tune when we’re back spanking teams.

The manager has been here 6 months and has dealt with possibly the worst injury crisis in modern club history. In spite of that we’re 5th, 6 points off top and 4 off 2nd place (remembering that pre-season expectations seemed to be in the 6th - 8th range).

In the 10 games prior to our horrific injury list we went unbeaten and conceded 9 goals and had 4 clean sheets. In nearly every game during that run we dominated the opposition and completely controlled the game.

Now you’re pulling out quotes like “might have worked in Scotland but it won’t work here” and “once teams press up against us we fall apart”.

Of course we’re open at the back and passing pretty poorly, we have our only 2 competent CBs injured and the whole CM in front of them out too! The lack of appreciation for the situation the manager is in is fucking astounding.

Everyone on this forum needs to appreciate it’s going to be a really tough few games coming up with the lengthy absence list and just enjoy the games for what they are. There isn’t a manager in the world that could continue battering good sides with the absences we have.

Moreover, none of the world’s great managers right now would flex their tactics because of injuries in the way some are asking Ange to.

Pep came 3rd in his first season here, I remember many people calling him naive and unable to adapt to the PL at the end of that season. You know what happened? The league adapted to him ultimately not the other was around.

Arteta came 8th in his first 2 seasons whilst trying to implement his football. Klopp 8th, 4th and 4th in his first 3. Yet after 6 months of the best football we’ve seen in donkeys years here you’re trotting out quotes like that. It’s embarrassing.

Fans moan about trophies and success and then moan about the process the manager is implementing to get us that.

Shameful. Bring that same energy when we’re flying with a fully fit team mate. If you can’t see what Ange is trying to do and trying to build here you don’t deserve the success it’ll bring. You have to be fucking blind to not see the fantastic direction we’re travelling in.
Leave off, stop trying to hide behind what has been going on.
The team has been found out, because all the teams are fucking doing it, wake up please.
There are no excuses for the poor passing we are seeing, so many poor touches and miss placed passing from professionals.
The discipline from players is the worst I have seen in years, no self control at all.
Yes the team is hanging in there, and when we get players back I would expect to see a massive improvement.
But why are you mentioning pep? He took over a club that was starting to dominate the league, this club isn't going to do that or win trebles, do why draw comparison with them.

Leave off, stop trying to hide behind what has been going on.
The team has been found out, because all the teams are fucking doing it, wake up please.
There are no excuses for the poor passing we are seeing, so many poor touches and miss placed passing from professionals.
The discipline from players is the worst I have seen in years, no self control at all.
Yes the team is hanging in there, and when we get players back I would expect to see a massive improvement.
But why are you mentioning pep? He took over a club that was starting to dominate the league, this club isn't going to do that or win trebles, do why draw comparison with them.
Absolutely pathetic. Please keep this same narrative when our players return and we’re flying.

Pep, Arteta and Klopp are managing the 3 sides that are favs for the title this year. All took some time to implement their football and vision at their new clubs, that’s the (very obvious) comparison I was making.

Their boards clearly saw what those managers were trying to do and trusted the process. What they didn’t do was piss their pants and panic 6 months in during an unprecedented injury crisis in spite of the hugely encouraging signs we’ve seen this season.

Back
Top Bottom