Strikers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What I can see he scored no goals in senior football for the Irish team he came from and has had no loans since joining Brighton

Ferguson was playing men’s football for the first team of bohs when he was 14 years of age. He’s light years ahead of Scarlett

Is that a serious question? Have you even watched Ferguson ? Never mind you don’t even need to watch highlights, he’s 18 years old and he has the physique of a fully grown man. He is without exaggeration, ten times the player Scarlett is.

For now...

I like him but don't really see what all the fuss is about.

As you say he isn't getting much better physically and I don't really see a 20-goal-a-season striker there.

He might do it one year but he's more likely to have an Emile Heskey type career imo.

For now...

As you say he isn't getting much better physically and I don't really see a 20-goal-a-season striker there.

He might do it one year but he's more likely to have an Emile Heskey type career imo.
I think you're crazy, he's a huge talent.

For now...

Haha right ok that’s my mind made up on your knowledge of football. You haven’t a clue.

He’s 18 and already has 7 premier league goals you numpty!

I think you're crazy, he's a huge talent.

They always are.

Haha right ok that’s my mind made up on your knowledge of football. You haven’t a clue.

He’s 18 and already has 7 premier league goals you numpty!

I'm no football scout I admit that but there is always hype about young players and Brighton are the best in the business at getting mugs to overpay.

Let's put it this way is he Wayne Rooney good? because for me I need him to be a Wayne Rooney level talent if I'm spending 100m on an 18 year old with 7 league goals.

If Brighton are smart, and they are, they won't even start him week in week out for another 2 seasons so we won't get to find out. Maybe this season he scores 10-12 prem goals and some numpty club over reacts and forks out for a kid that developed early physically and has some decent technique.

he’s 18 years old and he has the physique of a fully grown man.
One of the reasons young players who are performing in senior football are so appealing is the idea that their physique is likely to still be developing.

A kid being fully developed into their adult body is actually a negative indicator of their potential to grow beyond what they currently are.

Not to say Ferguson doesn't look promising, he does, but there's a price level at which it just becomes insane to bet on a player with that little track record.

One of the reasons young players who are performing in senior football are so appealing is the idea that their physique is likely to still be developing.

A kid being fully developed into their adult body is actually a negative indicator of their potential to grow beyond what they currently are.

Not to say Ferguson doesn't look promising, he does, but there's a price level at which it just becomes insane to bet on a player with that little track record.

Exactly what I'm saying but explained better.

Technically he is decent. Is he technically a 100m player? because physically he already is what he's going to be and he's not especially rapid dominant physically.

Kane is 100m technically and from what I can remember even in the youth teams he was miles ahead of his peers technically and in terms of being smarter or 1 step ahead all the time.

Exactly what I'm saying but explained better.

Technically he is decent. Is he technically a 100m player? because physically he already is what he's going to be and he's not especially rapid dominant physically.

Kane is 100m technically and from what I can remember even in the youth teams he was miles ahead of his peers technically and in terms of being smarter or 1 step ahead all the time.

No one said he’s a 100 million quid player

Is he technically a 100m player?
The thing going to that price level needs to be buying you is certainty, and an 18 year old with 39 senior professional appearances inherently does not have that.

Go look at the list of 100m transfers. They're basically all mistakes.

No one said he’s a 100 million quid player
Yeah, sorry if I'm boxing a strawman here.

For all the hype about the massive overpriced fees they're able to extract for their players, they've given away some pretty nice deals for guys like Bissouma, Trossard and MacAllister. They also seemed to have missed the gravy train on selling Lamptey.

Selling is a skill as surely as any other part of a club's business.

For now...

Admittedly I've seen very little of Ferguson, but the games I have watched he reminded me of Kane in his early years. Forget hie physique, it's his awareness and ability to be in the right place at the right time that is important, those are the bits that can't be coached, along with his desire to be the best he can be.

Everything else can be coached, and Brighton evidently coach their players well.

We've obviously missed the boat on this kid, and I doubt there was ever a boat to catch in the first place TBH.

His application and desire will be what determines whether he ends up as a Heskey or a Kane.

As others have pointed out, Ferguson having physical advantages at this stage is actually a reason to be more wary of him.

My oldest is a very good runner and harbours ambitions of being an 800m runner. There is an absolutely enormous drop off of ‘elite runners’ between the ages of 17-21. Because everyone catches up with them and their advantages disappear. Through out the u13s, u15s and u17s, the National cross country and track champions are almost always physically far more developed and born in September/October. At a young age, that means almost 5-10% development in strict chronological terms.

Of course, football is more complicated and there is far more to be considered in how a player will develop. I like Ferguson, but he’s not Rooney. I don’t see that sort of volcanic talent that demands to be played.

He might well become an excellent player. But he could just as easily drift off into mediocrity.

As others have pointed out, Ferguson having physical advantages at this stage is actually a reason to be more wary of him.

My oldest is a very good runner and harbours ambitions of being an 800m runner. There is an absolutely enormous drop off of ‘elite runners’ between the ages of 17-21. Because everyone catches up with them and their advantages disappear. Through out the u13s, u15s and u17s, the National cross country and track champions are almost always physically far more developed and born in September/October. At a young age, that means almost 5-10% development in strict chronological terms.

Of course, football is more complicated and there is far more to be considered in how a player will develop. I like Ferguson, but he’s not Rooney. I don’t see that sort of volcanic talent that demands to be played.

He might well become an excellent player. But he could just as easily drift off into mediocrity.
Rooney was a more complete, impactful, physically explosive player than Ferguson is now two years earlier in life.

We played Brighton in April and he came on as sub. Cannot remember noticing him and Brighton did not score. Therefore no idea if he is good enough but surely we should be going for more experience.

Rooney was a more complete, impactful, physically explosive player than Ferguson is now two years earlier in life.
I still maintain that Rooney is the most exciting player England has produced in the past twenty or thirty years. Not the most talented, but in terms of an absolutely monstrous will to win, he was without equal.

Was burned out by his mid-20s. But he was fucking brilliant for a few years.

I still maintain that Rooney is the most exciting player England has produced in the past twenty or thirty years. Not the most talented, but in terms of an absolutely monstrous will to win, he was without equal.

Was burned out by his mid-20s. But he was fucking brilliant for a few years.
I tend to think the fullness of his career is underrated, he was everything for Fergie on some of the best PL teams ever, then some that had no business being the comfortable champions they were.

But I don't know if I've ever seen a player under the age of 18 as good as Rooney was in any sport. There was no development curve, he arrived with everything.

I tend to think the fullness of his career is underrated, he was everything for Fergie on some of the best PL teams ever, then some that had no business being the comfortable champions they were.

But I don't know if I've ever seen a player under the age of 18 as good as Rooney was in any sport. There was no development curve, he arrived with everything.

Lebron

Back
Top Bottom