Back to basics Match Thread:. LIVERPOOL FC v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC: Sunday, 4.30pm (aka: Tea-time) Deal with it!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I haven't got the time or heart to watch even the highlights of this game or even read through the match thread, all I have to say is that our support at this game was phenomenal, so kudos to deadleyledley , Spurshaker Spurshaker and anyone else who made the journey.
Kamala Harris Applause GIF by The Democrats

That's the first game we've played that I enjoyed for a long time. Sadly it showed what a simple change in attitude of the team can do to make the average fan pleased. I'm left thinking why have they been such a bunch of miserable babies for most of the season.

Also, genuinely I'm sad Lucas Moura is going, I reckon he is a top bloke. He's not the world's greatest in lots of ways. But he's got something only Skippy has in our squad...100% effort every game. He got us to the CL final and got chucked aside for his efforts in favour of a half fit Kane. Sad to see him cock up in the last 2 games he's played. I forgive him.

I’m absolutely not suggesting how you enjoy Spurs. I’m just saying, for me, objectively, I’m not seeing anything very different. If I’m honest, I think we’ve got worse since Conte fucked off.

Not that I expected much to change. Would be an impossible task.
Agree. I think people are going a bit overboard on the last 2 games. Is it really much different to the likes of Leicester and Leeds at home earlier in the season? Dominated in the first half of those but find a way, largely through Kane and Son to comeback. The one constant throughout the season has been a complete lack of control in any game, even against the weakest teams in the division.

Last edited:
As I haven't got the time or heart to watch even the highlights of this game or even read through the match thread, all I have to say is that our support at this game was phenomenal, so kudos to deadleyledley , Spurshaker Spurshaker and anyone else who made the journey.
Kamala Harris Applause GIF by The Democrats
You would have loved it mrs P proper roller coaster of emotion that typifies being a spurs fan
Optimism before kick off quickly evaporated and at 3 nil there were a few levy out chants and you’re not fit to wear the shirt chants then Romero for the 3rd time under no pressure kicked the ball straight to a Liverpool player - he tried to blame Porro but got quickly jeered and left in no doubt it was his fault

Then a bit of gallows banter - we want our money back we’re shit and we know we are - and then to the Liverpool fans how shit must you be ? It’s only 3 nil

Then from the back of the spurs fans came Tottenham till I die - and that was it - we remembered who we were and why we were there and supported our team (as shit as some of them may be) as best we could - not sure it was because of us but the team responded in style
1 goal gave a glimmer of hope and when the 2nd went in game on - and the scenes when richy scored unbelievable- of course quickly followed by the devastating 4th goal - but in the grand scheme of this shit season who cares ? The players were warmly applauded off the pitch - all in all an amazing day and why I still go to football matches COYS

Agree. I think people ate going a bit overboard on the last 2 games. Is it really much different to the likes of Leicester and Leeds at home earlier in the season? Dominated in the first half of those but find a way, largely through Kane and Son to comeback. The one constant throughout the season has been a complete lack of control in any game, even against the weakest teams in the division.
Disagree the second half felt very different to any thing else this season - there was purpose and intent and a manager trying to influence things with positive changes

I’m absolutely not suggesting how you enjoy Spurs. I’m just saying, for me, objectively, I’m not seeing anything very different. If I’m honest, I think we’ve got worse since Conte fucked off.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦
Just to add, I’m glad Conte’s fucked off and I know it’s going to take a while and changes to personnel (coaching and playing) before we start to look drastically different.

It's hard to analyze, or I've stopped analyzing is perhaps closer to the truth.

I'm living off feels right now and at least under Mason it feels an improvement.

But with that has come the 2 down against Utd and 3 down against LFC in 15mins!! We were bad in these periods for sure. Looking at our shape vs LFC in the opening 15mins that was most certainly worse than under Conte, it's hard to understand why. I'm not talking about the specifics of our positioning, lack of pressing the man on the ball, not tracking a runner, or not even marking the oppo at the back post. I talking about how does it go to shit like this? How can you play 5ATB for 4 years and then not know how to do it in the first 15mins vs LFC, to be that out of shape and all over the shop???

It's easy to say Porro and Peresic are WB and shit defenders but it doesn't explain why our midfield (or AM's dropping didn't put pressure on the man on the ball. Why we were static not picking up runners?

Yeah, I am one that saw some logic in keeping Stellini and his team in place and just getting rid of the bottler. At no point did I know if this would work or not, just that I saw the logic in it, of that where at the point of sacking Conte only City and Arse had won more games than us (I think they were the only two who had scored more too), so just get rid of the guy that doesn't want to be here and play the same, same tactics with the same coaches and the same players (I was strapped in to be bored shitless for the rest of the season but that was only 10 game or whatever it was).

It doesn't feel like we've got worse across the 90mins though, because I "feel" it's better and think it's because we are attacking better, that Son is now running at and running behind the oppo as opposed to coming short back to goal only to lose possession. when we went to 2 up top and dropped Kulu into midfield there was link up here. We also started to build from the back post the 15min mark too and first I thought this was just Liverpool dropping off but there was no response from them at all, so I have to credit our boys in the end.

How come we can't play this football from the first minute
Must be Lucas last ever spurs appearance.
Didn't he also fuck up in his last appearance? No sensible coach would bother with him again not even for a 30 second run out as he'd probably fuck up in such a short time too

Emerson close to fitness so don't see him ever playing again here.
Great way to end his spurs career, two massive game costing fuck ups :contefacepalm:
Surely porro could have lasted 30 seconds?

Remember when Southampton and Everton equalised late on.... What did we do? Fucking shrink...

Remember when WE equalised late on at Anfield 10 minutes ago...?

What did Liverpool do...?

Fucking score again!!

THAT'S how it's done....

Lesson learned. We've been schooled in the art of never say die winning.

We're a million miles off that!
We did same v manure at 2-2 shrink when we could have won the gane. So from soton game we have one lucky win under 3 manager. Let in shed loads of goals.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦
Just to add, I’m glad Conte’s fucked off and I know it’s going to take a while and changes to personnel (coaching and playing) before we start to look drastically different.
100%

And even if that's with a highly competent manager in charge, what usually happens is the results are bad but there are signs within the performance that patterns are emerging, I can get behind any manager that can show me this and I can stick with them even if the results aren't there. (It's why I was NEVER sold on Jose-ball when we were top of the league when he first came in, as at no point did we ever look in control of a game, even within the context of his brand of football. However, post-Burnley I liked what I saw under Conte and I was fully expecting an improvement this season, not a regression).

As for this season, all I ask of Mason is to do what he's done so far, maybe we aren't going to be as shit as we were in the first half against Utd and the first 15mins vs LFC now we have got these two out of the way, Palace, Villa (who I know are good under Emery), Brentford and Leeds we can get wins from because they aren't as good as Man U and LFC????

100%

And even if that's with a highly competent manager in charge, what usually happens is the results are bad but there are signs within the performance that patterns are emerging, I can get behind any manager that can show me this and I can stick with them even if the results aren't there. (It's why I was NEVER sold on Jose-ball when we were top of the league when he first came in, as at no point did we ever look in control of a game, even within the context of his brand of football. However, post-Burnley I liked what I saw under Conte and I was fully expecting an improvement this season, not a regression).

As for this season, all I ask of Mason is to do what he's done so far, maybe we aren't going to be as shit as we were in the first half against Utd and the first 15mins vs LFC now we have got these two out of the way, Palace, Villa (who I know are good under Emery), Brentford and Leeds we can get wins from because they aren't as good as Man U and LFC????

We will lose minimum two of those games.

Considering the amount of attention this game has received, it doesn't seem balance with the current state of quality for both clubs. Both of 'em fighting dearly for that important Europa football. And I'm not discounting Europa which I'd clearly take, but the football was pretty rough on the eyes yesterday for both clubs.

You would have loved it mrs P proper roller coaster of emotion that typifies being a spurs fan
Optimism before kick off quickly evaporated and at 3 nil there were a few levy out chants and you’re not fit to wear the shirt chants then Romero for the 3rd time under no pressure kicked the ball straight to a Liverpool player - he tried to blame Porro but got quickly jeered and left in no doubt it was his fault

Then a bit of gallows banter - we want our money back we’re shit and we know we are - and then to the Liverpool fans how shit must you be ? It’s only 3 nil

Then from the back of the spurs fans came Tottenham till I die - and that was it - we remembered who we were and why we were there and supported our team (as shit as some of them may be) as best we could - not sure it was because of us but the team responded in style
1 goal gave a glimmer of hope and when the 2nd went in game on - and the scenes when richy scored unbelievable- of course quickly followed by the devastating 4th goal - but in the grand scheme of this shit season who cares ? The players were warmly applauded off the pitch - all in all an amazing day and why I still go to football matches COYS
I love these accounts of away days, always makes me jealous.

This was the type of game we mean when we say we don't really mind losing (sometimes), as long as the team fights.

Rubbish. What we've done previously has no bearing on what we deserved in this game.
A blatant Red and a blatant penalty are fully deserving of complaint. Had both been awarded, as they obviously should have been, we likely go on to win that game, which the performance, barring the first 20 minutes, deserved.

It's apologetic tosh like this that allows this outright corruption to be perpetuated.
Clearly whining about refs doesn’t solve the problem either.

Back
Top Bottom