Tottenham vs City - EFL Cup Final - Ref Fucks Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why are people having a go at the ref?
He let Laporte go for the first challenge because he let Reguilon off.

Both Laporte and Reguilon should have gone for 2 bookable offences. The ref didn't make the right decisions but I don't think he was unfair to either side. He tried to manage the game by not giving out yellows early. Granted he shouldn't go that way but we can't complain too much about the decisions.

The bigger picture is to look at how big a difference in terms of footballing ability and courage to play there is between the sides.
Jose has struck the fear of death into these players and they look totally petrified to play and pass.

Son probably had his worst game for us. He's suddenly turned into the safety first player, going back and side instead of forward. Decision making of some of our players was really poor. Hojbjerg trying to play in Reguilon said a lot about the difference between the sides. We have a DM running into the box with a chance to put us into the lead and he wants to pass on the responsibility to Reguilon. The pass itself was so shit, Reguilon would never have got it even running at full pace then Hojbjerg blames Reguilon.

Kane then stopped passing to him after that moment. Hojbjerg made 2 breaks to support Kane and both times Kane held on to it. Just playground football, I'm not passing to you because your shit. The top sides like city and bayern don't make decisions like that, you take the right option even if the player isn't the greatest. Kane is not surrounded by top players but you still have to play the ball on merit.

I just can't fathom we went into a cup final and had 2 shots. Kane didn't even get one off in anger.

I'm not going to lay into Ryan but the decision to bring on Sissoko and take off Lucas was bad bad bad. I've no idea why Poch, Jose, Deschamps and Mason all like Sissoko. He might be a character in the squad but that doesn't mean you play him!!! That decision to take Lucas off and Sissoko on directly influenced the goal we conceded. I noted in the first half, we started with a zonal setup and Lucas was marking Laporte. Lucas attacks the ball in the air which is fine. Sissoko does the opposite. I said to my dad for a set piece just before they scored that Sissoko wasn't marking properly. We should have put him on the halfway line and told him to run after it when it gets kicked up. Mason, Ledley etc haven't learnt anything from previous games such as Leicester at home. Sissoko doesn't jump or attack the ball in the air, you can't give him any defensive responsibility.

On a more positive note I thought Toby and Lloris were excellent. Dier was good, got caught trying to play which nearly cost us but that's the risk Poch would have been happy to take.

Our midfield is shocking. I've been watching a lot of Bissouma recently and I think we need to go for him. A Skipp and Bissouma midfield will be a good partnership to develop next season.

Lastly, Levy struck again with sacking a manager before an important game. He triggered Graham before an FA Cup semi at Old Trafford against Woolwich. We lost that game. Done the same thing now.

I don't actually know what to expect for the last few games. I don't think the players will actually try, they look like they've downed tools since the turn of the year. I'm looking forward to seeing what our squad looks like in August. I just don't want to see the same players that keep costing us, we all know who they are. I'm not even bothered about the incomings.
Great post. I think I agree with every single point you make here.

Both Laporte and Reguilon should have gone for 2 bookable offences. The ref didn't make the right decisions but I don't think he was unfair to either side. He tried to manage the game by not giving out yellows early. Granted he shouldn't go that way but we can't complain too much about the decisions.

The bigger picture is to look at how big a difference in terms of footballing ability and courage to play there is between the sides.
Jose has struck the fear of death into these players and they look totally petrified to play and pass.

Son probably had his worst game for us. He's suddenly turned into the safety first player, going back and side instead of forward. Decision making of some of our players was really poor. Hojbjerg trying to play in Reguilon said a lot about the difference between the sides. We have a DM running into the box with a chance to put us into the lead and he wants to pass on the responsibility to Reguilon. The pass itself was so shit, Reguilon would never have got it even running at full pace then Hojbjerg blames Reguilon.

Kane then stopped passing to him after that moment. Hojbjerg made 2 breaks to support Kane and both times Kane held on to it. Just playground football, I'm not passing to you because your shit. The top sides like city and bayern don't make decisions like that, you take the right option even if the player isn't the greatest. Kane is not surrounded by top players but you still have to play the ball on merit.

I just can't fathom we went into a cup final and had 2 shots. Kane didn't even get one off in anger.

I'm not going to lay into Ryan but the decision to bring on Sissoko and take off Lucas was bad bad bad. I've no idea why Poch, Jose, Deschamps and Mason all like Sissoko. He might be a character in the squad but that doesn't mean you play him!!! That decision to take Lucas off and Sissoko on directly influenced the goal we conceded. I noted in the first half, we started with a zonal setup and Lucas was marking Laporte. Lucas attacks the ball in the air which is fine. Sissoko does the opposite. I said to my dad for a set piece just before they scored that Sissoko wasn't marking properly. We should have put him on the halfway line and told him to run after it when it gets kicked up. Mason, Ledley etc haven't learnt anything from previous games such as Leicester at home. Sissoko doesn't jump or attack the ball in the air, you can't give him any defensive responsibility.

On a more positive note I thought Toby and Lloris were excellent. Dier was good, got caught trying to play which nearly cost us but that's the risk Poch would have been happy to take.

Our midfield is shocking. I've been watching a lot of Bissouma recently and I think we need to go for him. A Skipp and Bissouma midfield will be a good partnership to develop next season.

Lastly, Levy struck again with sacking a manager before an important game. He triggered Graham before an FA Cup semi at Old Trafford against Woolwich. We lost that game. Done the same thing now.

I don't actually know what to expect for the last few games. I don't think the players will actually try, they look like they've downed tools since the turn of the year. I'm looking forward to seeing what our squad looks like in August. I just don't want to see the same players that keep costing us, we all know who they are. I'm not even bothered about the incomings.
Good post

re: Bissouma, their whole back 5 and midfield is better than ours..... put Kane, Bale and Son in their side and they would be too 4

bissouma is excellent, but so are Dunk, White, Lamptey and others

I think there was just one instance (with Regui?) when I thought it was a clear foul for us and got frustrated with the ref for not calling it. Regui’s messy first tackle was a yellow and he got off lightly.

Watched Bissouma against the Blades and although Brighton lost, he was excellent box-to-box. Yesterday, except maybe for Lucas, our players seemed terrified to carry the ball and run at defenders, even someone like Son who we expect to attack the goal. It’s one thing to bring in fresh faces but what we’ve showed, unfortunately, is that no matter the talent, mindset and confidence can decimate the player’s effectiveness.

Because by fouling someone you’re going against the rules of the game hence getting a free kick which is supposed to be a punishment and a deterrent

So it is cheating

By getting a free kick you don’t necessarily regain the advantage as Pep’s teams well know

Whenever a team breaks against them they foul the player doing it to stop them getting an advantage

They cheat in other words

But Pep is clever so they rotate who is committing the fouls to reduce the risk of getting any cards

Sometimes this doesn’t work and they risk a player getting sent off as La Porte should have done today and would have had the referee been doing his job
He wasn’t and had a shocker

So cheating pays off and is another aspect of modern day football which is ruining the game

You hear commentators condoning it as you are now trying to do

They say things like “oh he took one for the team “ or “it was a good foul to make “ or “he knew what he was doing “ etc etc etc

In other words ‘cheating’!!!

I really didn’t think that I’d have to explain something like this to you but it seems that I do

So you enjoy the way the modern game is going and I suppose you enjoyed what City did today

Shame!
Wow!

You've explained nothing to me. I know all this. Every game of football I've ever played I play like this, or I am up against teams that do this. Every game of football I've ever watched I see BOTH teams do this, it is the game.

I'd say your problem is with the laws of the game. If you foul someone then there is a foul, they gave away fouls. This isn't "cheating". Who's cheating? What did they cheat? They took their punishment which is a foul.

It works both ways for a team. Teams actually look for fouls too, this way they gain position or alleviate pressure. Some teams (Pulis teams for example) base their entire gameplay around receiving free-kicks in locations that they have practised numerous times on the training ground.

Modern game!!?? I am fairly certain you are of an age that saw football played in the 70's, the only difference between then and now is, fouls were rarely punished, to get a yellow you needed to break a leg because of this teams didn't draw fouls deliberately (because they weren't usually given).

I don't think football is for you. Try watching dominos or chess.

That's down to the ref not doing his job properly. Everyone in the media wanks themselves silly over pep and Manchester oil barons but every match they use tactical fouling to stop the opposition if the refs were any good they'd book every challenge. This cunt didnt. Dont get me wrong we were shite today but I cant give any plaudits to a team built on dodgy oil money that should be winning everything. I'd like to see pep do what he does without buying his way to tainted glory
Every team tactically fouls, bar none.

Yet the ref's also come under stick for not letting the game flow, especially in finals, how many times have you heard the words the ref ruined that final because someone got sent off early or whatever.

We were comprehensively outplayed, just accept we were beaten by the better side. Nothing changes this.

Wow!

You've explained nothing to me. I know all this. Every game of football I've ever played I play like this, or I am up against teams that do this. Every game of football I've ever watched I see BOTH teams do this, it is the game.

I'd say your problem is with the laws of the game. If you foul someone then there is a foul, they gave away fouls. This isn't "cheating". Who's cheating? What did they cheat? They took their punishment which is a foul.

It works both ways for a team. Teams actually look for fouls too, this way they gain position or alleviate pressure. Some teams (Pulis teams for example) base their entire gameplay around receiving free-kicks in locations that they have practised numerous times on the training ground.

Modern game!!?? I am fairly certain you are of an age that saw football played in the 70's, the only difference between then and now is, fouls were rarely punished, to get a yellow you needed to break a leg because of this teams didn't draw fouls deliberately (because they weren't usually given).

I don't think football is for you. Try watching dominos or chess.
Your third sentence says it all

You know everything
lol 😂

Every team tactically fouls, bar none.

Yet the ref's also come under stick for not letting the game flow, especially in finals, how many times have you heard the words the ref ruined that final because someone got sent off early or whatever.

We were comprehensively outplayed, just accept we were beaten by the better side. Nothing changes this.
But surely if you’re as good as City are then why the need for tactical fouls?

You’re not making sense

What’s your dominoes like?

Sometimes you just have told hold your hands up and admit you were beaten by the better team. We all knew it would be tough, City are on another level to everyone in the league.

We lack more quality, and to put the final on Mason for his second ever game is down to Levy. We all wanted Mourinho gone though, so it's a lose lose.

Not sure where we go from here. Kane will have come out of that, seeing Kyle Walker winning another trophy, and must be thinking it's time for him to do the same. Subs weren't great, but we can't pin all of that on a 29 year old.

But surely if you’re as good as City are then why the need for tactical fouls?

You’re not making sense

What’s your dominoes like?
Because they wouldn't be as good if they didn't do that side of the game too. It is what makes them so complete, so ruthless. Did you watch them at the begging of the season? They weren't stopping oppo attacks, oppo scored and they only won 3 of their first 8 games.

Because they wouldn't be as good if they didn't do that side of the game too. It is what makes them so complete, so ruthless. Did you watch them at the begging of the season? They weren't stopping oppo attacks, oppo scored and they only won 3 of their first 8 games.
Why do they have to ‘beg’?

At least Sammy never claimed to be a professional footballer who's played for 40 years non-stop
40 years??

Wow what a career

Mind you ive been in the top tier of the Lincoln area dominoes league for about 40 years
I knock spots off most of my opponents with tactical fouls such as the ‘dummy’ double six!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom