Tottenham vs City - EFL Cup Final - Ref Fucks Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wasn’t proud of it. I was noting that a Spurs that play like cowards under a miserable cunt who blames everyone but himself for self-induced errors is not going to hold my interest. A Spurs struggling under an interim manager I can forgive.
They do but I'd still take the win. If it meant Jose might be kept then so be it. Right now we need anything that will stop those empty trophy cabinet memes to stop. We are a laughing stock

How I'm going to end up feeling about the outlook for the future of the club will really come down to who gets appointed manager. It will really demonstrate the level of ambition going forward.

At the moment though I'm quite pessimistic. It feels like our Champions League years were a blip and we're back to being a mid-table team. Very depressing to be back here after looking like we'd progressed.
The ambition of the club and the current ownership is clear. What we had was a blip in terms of the players we had coming through and somehow got the perfect recipe with poch. Sadly the time to invest big was then...all the way through up to the summer and Jan windows in 2018/2019 and the summer after we got none of pochs targets and the head of recruitment did that. It's a blip because we refused to build on it. Nothing new is happening under this ownership. Same again, but we just got a taste of the big time...levy has made things a million times harder.

Other than Aurier and Sissoko, I can't really fault the players for that performance. I don't buy this nonsense about how flat and uninspired we were; I just think we're not a good footballing team right now, and haven't been since about December 2018.

Even 7th in the League flatters us. Leeds and Arse play better than us, we just have Kane and Son.
Well said mate.

Thoroughly disappointing game to watch.
Once again, I'm let down by Spurs.

Other than Aurier and Sissoko, I can't really fault the players for that performance. I don't buy this nonsense about how flat and uninspired we were; I just think we're not a good footballing team right now, and haven't been since about December 2018.

Even 7th in the League flatters us. Leeds and Arse play better than us, we just have Kane and Son.
Mason repeated many times in his post match interview "the squad gave it everything they got".
Maybe you are right. :mourweird:

Can't be bothered catching up on this thread...the ridiculous vitriol during the match was enough.

I don't get the team choices today or the subs but there we go. I don't understand why, particularly in the second half, we didn't just go for it. We were expected to lose anyway so just have a go.

But there we go.

The absolutely childish and pathetic name calling from even before kick off (Wanks, Shitsoko, etc) should result in cardings though.

Except for Don Giovanni Don Giovanni obvs
❤❤❤

Mason repeated many times in his post match interview "the squad gave it everything they got".
Maybe you are right. :mourweird:
To hang on for 82 minutes in possibly the most one-sided professional football match in history, I think it's clear the players gave everything they got. Hugo, Toby, Dier were downright heroic.

Football isn't just about being brave and aggressive and all that. Players need to be coached properly. There is a reason Pep is the best manager in the World.

We played against the EPL champions elect and possibly CL winners as well, arguably one of the strongest squads ever assembled in English football, Pep gave us respect by playing his strongest side, it's therefore no surprise that this was a backs-to-the-wall effort, what else did we expect?

Despite all that possession City only managed 4 shots on target, our defence gave it everything, the ref got it wrong but if he'd given the first booking would Laporte have made the second challenge?

It's sad that we, like every other team in the EPL, are far behind the money men's team, the only way we will compete is by creating an income to allow us to get closer to their spending ... building a billion dollar stadium was a good start, Covid has put the brakes on that, however once that income starts flowing only then will we truly be able to get even close to challenging.

We weren't "terrible" we gave it everything, sadly they were just a whole lot better.

How I'm going to end up feeling about the outlook for the future of the club will really come down to who gets appointed manager. It will really demonstrate the level of ambition going forward.

At the moment though I'm quite pessimistic. It feels like our Champions League years were a blip and we're back to being a mid-table team. Very depressing to be back here after looking like we'd progressed.

I think we are on a similar, if not same page, although I probably would express it differently.

I am not sure the appointment of the manager and the ambition that it shows will be most important to me but the overall changes that come with that.

For example, I think many will say Potter doesn't show much ambition. But if he comes in and the club talks about something like a five year plan and makes moves towards that I would feel a lot more happy and excited than if they appointed Allegri, who is a more ambitious hire, but talked about how close the team is and kept basically the same infrastructure around him in place.

Honestly, even more important than a manager would be a DOF. If they appointed someone like Rangnick, I almost don't care who the manager is because I trust Rangnick to make the right moves.

But the overall point is that I think this club needs a five year (time can be shorter or longer 5 years just seems like a decent base line number to use) and stick to it. Give the manager that time no matter what the results, barring something crazy happening. Buy players with that in mind, build a team not piece together 4 or 5 individual talents and hope when you throw them together they work. Have your youth team involved in the plan as well so they are developing players that can smoothly work into the side whether as fill-ins and/or replacement players.

This cohesion and planning seems to really be what has been missing, even from when Poch was here. He was able to paper over it because the players he had were good fits, but when they started leaving and aging, you could see we did not have a solid plan to replace them.

I think you can see that it is why this summer while it got high marks for the players we brought in didn't work out because the players were bought for individual reasons, not to fit in with an overall plan.

Bale was available because RM wanted him off the books and Levy saw the marketing possibilities.
Reguilon was available on loan because of the issues with Zidane.
Doherty was cheap and a Mendes client.
Gedson again a Mendes client that we could easily get in.
Vini a cheap Mendes client.
PEH I think we had targetted him early but made easier by the KWP swap.

None of them seemed to be targeted because of their fit with the team, even though some worked out. and instead were brought in largely because of how convenient they were to acquire.

I think we did try this with GLC, Ndombele and Sess but we then sacked the guy they fit with 3 months after buying them.

We played against the EPL champions elect and possibly CL winners as well, arguably one of the strongest squads ever assembled in English football, Pep gave us respect by playing his strongest side, it's therefore no surprise that this was a backs-to-the-wall effort, what else did we expect?

Despite all that possession City only managed 4 shots on target, our defence gave it everything, the ref got it wrong but if he'd given the first booking would Laporte have made the second challenge?

It's sad that we, like every other team in the EPL, are far behind the money men's team, the only way we will compete is by creating an income to allow us to get closer to their spending ... building a billion dollar stadium was a good start, Covid has put the brakes on that, however once that income starts flowing only then will we truly be able to get even close to challenging.

We weren't "terrible" we gave it everything, sadly they were just a whole lot better.

I expected us to play a lot more free, maybe it was asking to much but the players looked tentative and like they didn't want to be there. I had hoped that with Jose gone they at least would have seemed to play with a bit more fun, passion and freedom like they did in the 2nd half against Southampton.

City may have only had 4 shots on target but that was because of a few bad misses and some amazing blocks by us, no need to sugar coat we were thoroughly dominated, especially in the first half and it was luck more than our quality play that kept that from being 2 or 3-0.

Actually was better than the pasting I was expecting.
We just don't have the quality to match man for man with City.

Unfortunately let down again by an individual error, Auriers challenge was braindead....
Somethings won't change regardless of manager.

Sonny had another really poor game and should have been substituted rather than Moura.

The scary thing is not Kane and Son going, the scary thing is Kane and Son deciding they need to leave Tottenham to reach their ambitions and offers commensurate with their ambitions not materializing.

Neither player is the top pick of the clubs who could pay what they're worth. Both situations are Christian Eriksen's waiting to happen.
Scarily I think you are right.

I expected us to play a lot more free, maybe it was asking to much but the players looked tentative and like they didn't want to be there. I had hoped that with Jose gone they at least would have seemed to play with a bit more fun, passion and freedom like they did in the 2nd half against Southampton.

City may have only had 4 shots on target but that was because of a few bad misses and some amazing blocks by us, no need to sugar coat we were thoroughly dominated, especially in the first half and it was luck more than our quality play that kept that from being 2 or 3-0.

Yup - City are arguably the best team in Europe, and certainly the best squad, being owned and financed by an entire country will do that for you.

Why are people having a go at the ref?
He let Laporte go for the first challenge because he let Reguilon off.

Both Laporte and Reguilon should have gone for 2 bookable offences. The ref didn't make the right decisions but I don't think he was unfair to either side. He tried to manage the game by not giving out yellows early. Granted he shouldn't go that way but we can't complain too much about the decisions.

The bigger picture is to look at how big a difference in terms of footballing ability and courage to play there is between the sides.
Jose has struck the fear of death into these players and they look totally petrified to play and pass.

Son probably had his worst game for us. He's suddenly turned into the safety first player, going back and side instead of forward. Decision making of some of our players was really poor. Hojbjerg trying to play in Reguilon said a lot about the difference between the sides. We have a DM running into the box with a chance to put us into the lead and he wants to pass on the responsibility to Reguilon. The pass itself was so shit, Reguilon would never have got it even running at full pace then Hojbjerg blames Reguilon.

Kane then stopped passing to him after that moment. Hojbjerg made 2 breaks to support Kane and both times Kane held on to it. Just playground football, I'm not passing to you because your shit. The top sides like city and bayern don't make decisions like that, you take the right option even if the player isn't the greatest. Kane is not surrounded by top players but you still have to play the ball on merit.

I just can't fathom we went into a cup final and had 2 shots. Kane didn't even get one off in anger.

I'm not going to lay into Ryan but the decision to bring on Sissoko and take off Lucas was bad bad bad. I've no idea why Poch, Jose, Deschamps and Mason all like Sissoko. He might be a character in the squad but that doesn't mean you play him!!! That decision to take Lucas off and Sissoko on directly influenced the goal we conceded. I noted in the first half, we started with a zonal setup and Lucas was marking Laporte. Lucas attacks the ball in the air which is fine. Sissoko does the opposite. I said to my dad for a set piece just before they scored that Sissoko wasn't marking properly. We should have put him on the halfway line and told him to run after it when it gets kicked up. Mason, Ledley etc haven't learnt anything from previous games such as Leicester at home. Sissoko doesn't jump or attack the ball in the air, you can't give him any defensive responsibility.

On a more positive note I thought Toby and Lloris were excellent. Dier was good, got caught trying to play which nearly cost us but that's the risk Poch would have been happy to take.

Our midfield is shocking. I've been watching a lot of Bissouma recently and I think we need to go for him. A Skipp and Bissouma midfield will be a good partnership to develop next season.

Lastly, Levy struck again with sacking a manager before an important game. He triggered Graham before an FA Cup semi at Old Trafford against Woolwich. We lost that game. Done the same thing now.

I don't actually know what to expect for the last few games. I don't think the players will actually try, they look like they've downed tools since the turn of the year. I'm looking forward to seeing what our squad looks like in August. I just don't want to see the same players that keep costing us, we all know who they are. I'm not even bothered about the incomings.

Last edited:
Why are people having a go at the ref?
He let Laporte go for the first challenge because he let Reguilon off.

Both Laporte and Reguilon should have gone for 2 bookable offences. The ref didn't make the right decisions but I don't think he was unfair to either side. He tried to manage the game by not giving out yellows early. Granted he shouldn't go that way but we can't complain too much about the decisions.

The bigger picture is to look at how big a difference in terms of footballing ability and courage to play there is between the sides.
Jose has struck the fear of death into these players and they look totally petrified to play and pass.

Son probably had his worst game for us. He's suddenly turned into the safety first player, going back and side instead of forward. Decision making of some of our players was really poor. Hojbjerg trying to play in Reguilon said a lot about the difference between the sides. We have a DM running into the box with a chance to put us into the lead and he wants to pass on the responsibility to Reguilon. The pass itself was so shit, Reguilon would never have got it even running at full pace then Hojbjerg blames Reguilon.

Kane then stopped passing to him after that moment. Hojbjerg made 2 breaks to support Kane and both times Kane held on to it. Just playground football, I'm not passing to you because your shit. The top sides like city and bayern don't make decisions like that, you take the right option even if the player isn't the greatest. Kane is not surrounded by top players but you still have to play the ball on merit.

I just can't fathom we went into a cup final and had 2 shots. Kane didn't even get one off in anger.

I'm not going to lay into Ryan but the decision to bring on Sissoko and take off Lucas was bad bad bad. I've no idea why Poch, Jose and Mason all like Sissoko. He might be a character in the squad but that doesn't mean you play him!!! That decision to take Lucas off and Sissoko on directly influenced the goal we conceded. I noted in the first half, we started with a zonal setup and Lucas was marking Laporte. Lucas attacks the ball in the air which is fine. Sissoko does the opposite. I said to my dad for a set piece just before they scored that Sissoko wasn't marking properly. We should have put him on the halfway line and told him to run after it when it gets kicked up. Mason, Ledley etc haven't learnt anything from previous games such as Leicester at home. Sissoko doesn't jump or attack the ball in the air, you can't give him any defensive responsibility.

On a more positive note I thought Toby and Lloris were excellent. Dier was good, got caught trying to play which nearly cost us but that's the risk Poch would have been happy to take.

Our midfield is shocking. I've been watching a lot of Bissouma recently and I think we need to go for him. A Skipp and Bissouma midfield will be a good partnership to develop next season.

Lastly, Levy struck again with sacking a manager before an important game. He triggered Graham before an FA Cup semi at Old Trafford against Woolwich. We lost that game. Done the same thing now.

I don't actually know what to expect for the last few games. I don't think the players will actually try, they look like they've downed tools since the turn of the year. I'm looking forward to seeing what our squad looks like in August. I just don't want to see the same players that keep costing us, we all know who they are. I'm not even bothered about the incomings.
Very good point on Reg deserving 2 YCs too so def a wash with Laporte. Plus I don’t like to see too many cards early anyways letting the players decide the outcome via 11 v 11 football. And Sissoko is terrible so not sure what Mason was thinking with that sub is shocking.

Very good point on Reg deserving 2 YCs too so def a wash with Laporte. Plus I don’t like to see too many cards early anyways letting the players decide the outcome via 11 v 11 football. And Sissoko is terrible so not sure what Mason was thinking with that sub is shocking.
Ive said it 10 times. How the fuck can anyone blame the ref 😂

Back
Top Bottom