Nailing my colours to the mast

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tumblr_ls94rukazD1qaxugb.gif
You find the creepiest gifs lol

Yeah. Im still not sure where Bales statement backs up what you claimed
Well, let me think where to start.

From my perspective, I have to say that I think Redknapp's footballing philosophy is a bit schizophrenic. I think I remember one journalist describing him as an idiot savant, which is an amusing description, but I think he's an interesting example of a rigidly old school manager trying (and, in most respects, doing pretty well at it) to adapt his knowledge and history of the game to the modern age. Credit where credit is due, he has an admirable attraction to swashbuckling, free-wheeling, and exciting football, but I think his managing style is perhaps too single-mindedly focused on a player's expression, to the detriment of other areas.

Redknapp never showed an inkling of desire to alter how Spurs played, such as when our set-pieces weren't working -- both defensive and offensive -- or in two consecutive end-of-season collapses. It wasn't apparent that he ever did anything in an attempt to rectify those areas of our game. He told the players to play how they felt, and that can be a beautiful thing, when it's working. That loose, fluid, beautiful football that we played under Redknapp was so, so beautiful to watch at times. However, there wasn't really a cohesive game plan underneath it all. Yes, we finished 4-5-4 under his tenure, but nobody can be pleased with the manner in which we ended the last two seasons. The excitement was gone, and so was the beautiful football. Teams parked the bus, and grinded out result after result against us during those last crucial fixtures.

That quote from Gareth Bale, I think, perfectly describes this issue. The players are still allowed to express themselves, as he mentions, but he contrasts AVB's management to that of Redknapp's by mentioning that there's now a cohesive style of play and shape.

And it's not just a feel-good quote from Bale, other players have said much the same.

I'm sure you all will remember VdV's talk about the clipboard.
VdV said:
Harry is a very special man, that’s why I already feel at home at Spurs. It feels like I’m back on the street. There are no long and boring speeches about tactics, like I was used to at Real Madrid. There is a clipboard in our dressing room but Harry doesn’t write anything on it! It’s very relaxed. The gaffer gives us the line-up 20 minutes before we go out to do our warm-up. And the only words he speaks to me are ‘You play left or right, work hard, have fun and show the fans your best’. Then the defenders get an instruction about who to mark at corners and free-kicks – and that’s it.

Now, that sounds brilliant, doesn't it? Forget tactics, let's play how we feel! But, in hindsight, does an empty clipboard not sound a bit foreboding?

Yes, Redknapp is right. The game is overwhelmingly about the players. But, and this is a big but, tactics are becoming increasingly important in the modern game, precisely because they DO have an effect on how a team performs, what their shape is, and how that relates to their possession game, versus counterattacking, etc. And, an blank clipboard doesn't particularly inspire confidence in me that a team is probably prepared for certain scenarios.

At our heights under Redknapp I believe that we were a brilliant team, but we were still journeymen. We were always anxious to impress, but were often found out, repeatedly due to the same issues that AVB faced early on, and was heavily criticized for.

The way he left was fucking disgraceful, but I still thank Redknapp for what he brought to the club under his tenure. I disagreed with the manner of his termination, but from the moment he left I thought AVB would be a great fit for this team, and I think he has the ability to bring a new dimension to this already fantastically talented Spurs squad, perhaps something that we've only begun to glimpse. People are calling us a one man team, but then how did we do so well by the end of the first half of the season, when most agreed that Bale had been disappointing so far this season? Now, we're being called a one-man team, even though we're now without the standout performer of the first half of this season (Sandro), and also our best player from last season (Kaboul).

I think we hardly skipped a beat with Redknapp's sacking. There's an evolving element and maturity to our play and possession that I think was woefully absent under Redknapp -- exciting as it was -- and with a healthy squad next year, and a striker in half decent form, I don't think there's a Premier League side better than the one that we can put out, and quite a few of our star players seem to have blossomed under AVB.

So, call me crazy, maybe I can get a little work done now.

Back
Top Bottom