Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've noticed the past few games I've been to since our lord protector Sandro got injured, that Dembele seems to be sitting deeper than previously with Parker more advanced. I made this point to the guy behind me yesterday and every time our play broke down it seemed Parker was 10-15 further forward.
This clearly seems the wrong way round a) due to Dembele's ability b) due to Parker's predictability in attack (think he's fantastic....just not good going forward).
With Holtby roaming, I feel AVB should work on not having Parker venture further forward than the centre circle and then push Dembele on a bit.
The 2/3 players he skips past on the half way line, might not be so easy on the edge of their box but it will surely lead to more free kicks in dangerous areas and a few times breaking through and laying it on (like against Man U where Dempsey's shot was saved).

This has definitely been happening, though I do think they switch it up a bit from time to time, tbh I think there is both a benefit to it as well as it's obvious draw back which you above.

Dembele has a lot more physical strength in the centre than Parker, and this was shown on a number of times yesterday when he bossed Cabaye and Perch to win the ball. It's just a matter of finding a balance to allow both of them the time to roam forward / drop back. IMO.

he's been a bit of an enigma for me in the last few weeks. He's obviously one of those players that keeps the ball moving and will get opposition players to commit to challenges, but i'm not seeing much end product in the form of key passes, through balls, crosses or even goals.
I'm not saying he's not good. I'm just not sure what to make of his performances recently. He's reminding me a bit of alexander hleb, or as my gooner mate used to call him 'Dribbly McNoscore.'

Dembele's form has dipped since Sandro's injury. They had developed a terrific understanding which isn't evident with Parker, it isn't helped by Parker not playing especially well either.

I don't know about you guys, but I believe that Dembele is just a unique defensive mid with flashy dribbling skills that others dont have. I really think that we don't need Parker paired up with Dembele because Dembele does the same job as Parker, as well as keep possession much better. I like him playing deep and playing defensively because I don't think he has the creativity or the final ball to play further up. And I also don't think his form has dipped, he's just playing a more defensive role with Parker paired with him (I don't understand that though). He has still been bossing the midfield the last few games and thats what he's best at, and he's doing it fantastically.

It's weird. He somehow thinks he has to compensate for the loss of Sandro. He doesn't, Scotty p is there now but the even weirder thing is Parker is now trying to do dembeles job at points. Certainly in the Newcastle game anyway.

Boas needs to convince dembele that Parker can do the job.

I really don't understand how Dembele not playing well is Parker's fault. Yeah, so Dembele and Sandro had a good understanding- but if the Moose can't adjust to Scotty's presence in the team and strike up a partnership with him, that's not really Scotty's problem.

FWIW I agree that Scotty isn't playing up to his best (not particularly badly, per se, but not at his sharpest and most disciplined), but I think once AVB coaches him into the role he should be playing for the side, the role that Sandro played so well, he (and we) will be just fine.

I really don't understand how Dembele not playing well is Parker's fault. Yeah, so Dembele and Sandro had a good understanding- but if the Moose can't adjust to Scotty's presence in the team and strike up a partnership with him, that's not really Scotty's problem.

FWIW I agree that Scotty isn't playing up to his best (not particularly badly, per se, but not at his sharpest and most disciplined), but I think once AVB coaches him into the role he should be playing for the side, the role that Sandro played so well, he (and we) will be just fine.

I wouldn't say it is Parker's fault as such but it isn't helped by Parker over selling himself into challenges and being ponderous in possession, Dembele has been, too. In fact, both seem to want an additional second on the ball where previously we were playing the give and go far quicker.

I think Sandro's great, but if anything our results have improved since Parker and Dembele joined up, I certainly don't see they've got worse. May be wrong, just the way I'm remembering it. We're nine games unbeaten now in the lge.

EDIT - Checked the stats - in the lge we're unbeaten since Parker and Dembele joined together - 8 points from 4 - that's better than our overall form this season.So it seems my memory is correct. Last time we lost in the lge, Sandro was playing. Not that it was his fault, and as I say I think he's great. But we've coped remarkably well without him so far.

There was a lot of blah blah about how Toon's midfield monsters would dominate Scotty and Moussa, well it didn't happen did it?

Now, I think that the Nicola Berti song for Dembele is absolutely perfect... However, I would love to see a "Hoots man, there's Moose, loose, about this hoose" with a full der der der der der build up...

I think Sandro's great, but if anything our results have improved since Parker and Dembele joined up, I certainly don't see they've got worse. May be wrong, just the way I'm remembering it. We're nine games unbeaten now in the lge.

EDIT - Checked the stats - in the lge we're unbeaten since Parker and Dembele joined together - 8 points from 4 - that's better than our overall form this season.So it seems my memory is correct. Last time we lost in the lge, Sandro was playing. Not that it was his fault, and as I say I think he's great. But we've coped remarkably well without him so far.

There was a lot of blah blah about how Toon's midfield monsters would dominate Scotty and Moussa, well it didn't happen did it?

We haven't dominated many of those games and bossed the midfield like we did with Sandro and Dembele. Norwich, West Brom and Newcastle were not great performances. Norwich and West Brom were pretty turgid and the Newcastle probably edged the midfield in that game, bar the first 20 minutes. Bale was the reason for 7 points out of 9 there.

Fair comments, but the stats still say we're doing better with Dembele and Parker. That's not to knock Sandro, who's a top player. But we are coping fine without him. Sometimes I don't think Parker and Dembele are getting their due praise. AS I say lots of people were predicting we'd be swept aside by the might of sissoko and co on Saturday - we weren't.

Dembele's form has dipped since Sandro's injury. They had developed a terrific understanding which isn't evident with Parker, it isn't helped by Parker not playing especially well either.

honestly Dannyboy, your spelling is appalling!!! :harryfacepalm::harrylol:

Back
Top Bottom