Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well if you look at the form this season our rivals have continued to be just as shit as us, so you never know.

If we can actually find a team that has the right balance and can do the basics properly we can easily put a nice run together. Just taking Danny Rose out of the team would have stopped at least 3 of the goals we've conceded. I'm sure Poch is working very hard over this international break to come up with an XI that can take us where we need to go.
He had all summer to think about where we need to go why start thinking now.

Well if you look at the form this season our rivals have continued to be just as shit as us, so you never know.

If we can actually find a team that has the right balance and can do the basics properly we can easily put a nice run together. Just taking Danny Rose out of the team would have stopped at least 3 of the goals we've conceded. I'm sure Poch is working very hard over this international break to come up with an XI that can take us where we need to go.

Or Rose’s replacement could give up more goals. Not a given that the replacement will be better.

And what would you want this new coach to achieve in the league, in Europe?

I want the new coach to prioritise the highest possible league position, because for me that's the truest and toughest test of him and his ability to coach, communicate and teach footballers.

A second priority to me has always been European competition, and I don't care if it's the CL or Europa, I love European competition and believe it should always be taken seriously. It's the reward for "achievement" in your first priority - the league - and is where elite clubs test themselves against the best clubs from around Europe, experience new cultures - footballing and no footballing - and grow, as clubs and fans.

As a kid European nights were special and as a teenager European travel to watch Spurs was probably my favourite footballing experiences, travel, experiencing new things and football all in one package.

I hate the way the Europa has become derided and almost unwanted by clubs in England. UEFA - and English clubs and the PL - really need to put this right. I like that UEFA have put a CL place on it, but they need to stop allowing CL clubs to drop into it. And the PL need to help and incentivise PL clubs in European competition instead of seeing European competitions as a rival for their brand.

As much as a loved the domestic cups as a kid, the older I've got the less I've seen the merit in them. The League cup you can win in a handful of games, sometimes against almost entirely sub PL opposition. And the F A Cup is an extension of that. They are invariably won by the elite clubs every year, and mean very little to them. We see managers win them and get sacked (LVG, Wenger etc).

I would happily see any teams qualified for European taken out of the League Cup, and give it as an opportunity for all other teams to actually win something - allowing teams in Europe to also concentrate better on European competition.

And the F A Cup I would like to see changed so that PL and Championship teams have too play at least 7 academy players every single game, this again giving smaller teams chance of some glory but also assuring academy players at least a handful of games every season to help their development. And again help the elite teams focus on the league and European competition.

I want the new coach to prioritise the highest possible league position, because for me that's the truest and toughest test of him and his ability to coach, communicate and teach footballers.

A second priority to me has always been European competition, and I don't care if it's the CL or Europa, I love European competition and believe it should always be taken seriously. It's the reward for "achievement" in your first priority - the league - and is where elite clubs test themselves against the best clubs from around Europe, experience new cultures - footballing and no footballing - and grow, as clubs and fans.

As a kid European nights were special and as a teenager European travel to watch Spurs was probably my favourite footballing experiences, travel, experiencing new things and football all in one package.

I hate the way the Europa has become derided and almost unwanted by clubs in England. UEFA - and English clubs and the PL - really need to put this right. I like that UEFA have put a CL place on it, but they need to stop allowing CL clubs to drop into it. And the PL need to help and incentivise PL clubs in European competition instead of seeing European competitions as a rival for their brand.

As much as a loved the domestic cups as a kid, the older I've got the less I've seen the merit in them. The League cup you can win in a handful of games, sometimes against almost entirely sub PL opposition. And the F A Cup is an extension of that. They are invariably won by the elite clubs every year, and mean very little to them. We see managers win them and get sacked (LVG, Wenger etc).

I would happily see any teams qualified for European taken out of the League Cup, and give it as an opportunity for all other teams to actually win something - allowing teams in Europe to also concentrate better on European competition.

And the F A Cup I would like to see changed so that PL and Championship teams have too play at least 7 academy players every single game, this again giving smaller teams chance of some glory but also assuring academy players at least a handful of games every season to help their development. And again help the elite teams focus on the league and European competition.
So if the new coach comes in and gets 5th or 6th, you'll be happy with that?

Harry Kane for 1. Injuries and age take their toll on everyone.

Very disappointing that THAT team never peaked.
Walker left, but it wasn’t really the issue.

Dembele, Dier, Wanyama and Dele never lived up to those heights again.
Rose got injured and depressed, Kane became injury prone and so deployed into a damage limitation role, Toby had his head turned somewhere, Lloris became a liability and Poch himself started experimenting.

It’s all relative....I’d be happy with 5th or 6th under Poch too if he was winning silverware and we were playing good football.

I’d rather have won the EL four times than played in the CL four times personally

It’s all relative....I’d be happy with 5th or 6th under Poch too if he was winning silverware and we were playing good football.

I’d rather have won the EL four times than played in the CL four times personally
I would too and I still think he can do both but it's not just about him as a club we are not hungry enough for trophies. That starts from the boardroom.

I would too and I still think he can do both but it's not just about him as a club we are not hungry enough for trophies. That starts from the boardroom.

The boardroom need CL money, but far from popular belief about yachts, they are ploughing the money into the club.

There’s a massive 62,000 seater stadium staring at us and people want to ask “where’s the money gone”....
Ask Poch, 9M of it goes into his bank account annually.
We gave Dele and Kane massive pay rises, and tied down 90% of the squad with new contracts.
Theres a gazillion dollar training ground, and 4 transfer records broken.

So while we can talk about the board “not wanting trophies” it’s just not the case.
Poch has been given the tools, and has taken it upon himself to treat the domestics with complete disdain.
You really think Levy doesn’t want him to win the FA Cup? He didn’t have the squad to get past Palace?

If I like what I'm watching I'd be OK with that, like I said, as long as a see some kind of ethos I can buy into.

For example I didn't enjoy watching us under Jol, and couldn't wait to get shot of that blagger Redknapp (and Sherwood for that matter) despite him finishing higher than AVB, but didn't particularly want us to sack AVB.

I know many people disagree with that, but I could at least see some evidence of coaching with AVB even if his tactics and team selections were a bit questionable at times. He was working with a much inferior squad. With Redknapp it was just about chucking individuals out on the pitch and rolling the dice.

If I like what I'm watching I'd be OK with that, like I said, as long as a see some kind of ethos I can buy into.

For example I didn't enjoy watching us under Jol, and couldn't wait to get shot of that blagger Redknapp (and Sherwood for that matter) despite him finishing higher than AVB, but didn't particularly want us to sack AVB.

I know many people disagree with that, but I could at least see some evidence of coaching with AVB even if his tactics and team selections were a bit questionable at times. He was working with a much inferior squad. With Redknapp it was just about chucking individuals out on the pitch and rolling the dice.

Don’t get the logic.....for me I get wanting to see an ethos.
But fuck watching paint dry just because the manager has a big book and looks cool.

Harry chucked players onto the pitch because that’s what it takes to change games. Poch might want to learn from that.

I’d rather watch exciting football under a moron than a game of chess under a philosopher.
It’s not a game of intellect, and too many forget that.

You want to score goals, fucking shoot.

The boardroom need CL money, but far from popular belief about yachts, they are ploughing the money into the club.

There’s a massive 62,000 seater stadium staring at us and people want to ask “where’s the money gone”....
We gave Dele and Kane massive pay rises, and tied down 90% of the squad with new contracts.

So while we can talk about the board “not wanting trophies” it’s just not the case.
Poch has been given the tools, and has taken it upon himself to treat the domestics with complete disdain.
You really think Levy doesn’t want him to win the FA Cup? He didn’t have the squad to get past Palace?
I think he would like it sure but I don't think it matters to him if we dont win a trophy for another 10 years, like you said the board need champions league money, domestic trophies don't bring that. Thus they aren't fussed if we win them or not. That filters it's way to the pitch.

But fuck watching paint dry just because the manager has a big book and looks cool.

Harry chucked players onto the pitch because that’s what it takes to change games. Poch might want to learn from that.

I’d rather watch exciting football under a moron than a game of chess under a philosopher.

To quote God
We must always consider our supporters, for without them there would be no professional football. It would be better to have more fans watching football the way they like it played, rather than have a few fans watching football the way we would like it played.”

Very harsh on Redknapp and quite disrespectful tbh. We played some really sparkling football with him, attacked teams from the getgo, he managed Ledleys knee situation with true care, we never had a world class striker like Harry but still fought till the end for the CL places.

Redknapp was part of the evolution of the club from no hopers to CL regulars which we are now.

So we'd play more entertaining football but the results would be worse than they are now. What's the point? For a long time in our history we were an entertaining side playing the tottenham way not achieving shit. We've got a very good squad, we need to keep them together and add to it, not bring someone in who is more entertaining but gets worse results.

Agree up until last season whether it be good luck and ignorance we got to the biggest domestic cup final there is and by rights we shouldn’t have but we never gave up in certain games and as said with luck we made it! Now with the same attitude and the willingness we were more than capable of winning one or possibly more domestic cups In Pochettino tenure but we haven’t......why?

Yeah, that’s why Redknapp’s had a more successful career than Guardiola and Mourinho (and AVB), because being a moron works better and wotnot....

Back
Top Bottom