Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are now higher up the food chain, they won't get the game time here they need to help their progress.
I think our situation this year proved that isn't really the case. Maddison could have been promised at least 2000 minutes with CL football and likely higher wages. But someone said no, and I think that a bit of a mea culpa is warranted.

I think our situation this year proved that isn't really the case. Maddison could have been promised at least 2000 minutes with CL football and likely higher wages. But someone said no, and I think that a bit of a mea culpa is warranted.
This season was a freak (I hope), in a normal year he would be hard pushed to have got the game time needed to kick on.

We tend to focus on the ones that went on to be the real deal and not the countless others we declined for the same reason who went to shit.

They have a process, they know their process, and they stick to their process, regardless of manager. It's how you need to be.

It's what we need to establish, as that's what has really held us back over the last 3-4 years.
Yep. Their recruitment model is the one we try to pretend we operate but to operate it you need to be competent, meticulous and extremely savvy, of which we are none of really.

Take Eriksen for example. It's clear he's probably leaving and has been for some time, if he was a Dortmund player they would probably have already agreed his sale and have the people they want to bring in signed. Compare it to the inevitable shambles his departure from us is probably going to be, culminating with us scratching around in the final weeks and days looking for people to bring in.

(Disclaimer: if we do actually sell him early and gracefully and appear to have some resemblance of a plan as to how we spend the windfall then I will happily eat my words, but fuck knows I won't be holding my breath...)

Yep. Their recruitment model is the one we try to pretend we operate but to operate it you need to be competent, meticulous and extremely savvy, of which we are none of really.

Take Eriksen for example. It's clear he's probably leaving and has been for some time, if he was a Dortmund player they would probably have already agreed his sale and have the people they want to bring in signed. Compare it to the inevitable shambles his departure from us is probably going to be, culminating with us scratching around in the final weeks and days looking for people to bring in.

(Disclaimer: if we do actually sell him early and gracefully and appear to have some resemblance of a plan as to how we spend the windfall then I will happily eat my words, but fuck knows I won't be holding my breath...)
Dortmund have lost their best players on frees quite a lot. They are also only competing against one team while we have 5 richer.

A key difference here is where they power to handle such things is placed. At Dortmund, they have a sporting director that handles all things related to player contracts, player sales and purchases. The coach/manager is of course involved but the power lies with the sporting director. And some times the manager is not too keen on the players brought in. Like Alexander Isak at Dortmund. He was a purchase by the Sporting Director with the idea of integrating him into the first team, but Tuchel did not even know that he was being bought until he was at the training ground.

With us, Poch has pretty much complete control of the first team. Which means that he has to be way more involved in all of those things. So that type of model would be hard to implement without Poch loosening some of his control over the first team. Which I am not certain that he wants to.

A key difference here is where they power to handle such things is placed. At Dortmund, they have a sporting director that handles all things related to player contracts, player sales and purchases. The coach/manager is of course involved but the power lies with the sporting director. And some times the manager is not too keen on the players brought in. Like Alexander Isak at Dortmund. He was a purchase by the Sporting Director with the idea of integrating him into the first team, but Tuchel did not even know that he was being bought until he was at the training ground.

With us, Poch has pretty much complete control of the first team. Which means that he has to be way more involved in all of those things. So that type of model would be hard to implement without Poch loosening some of his control over the first team. Which I am not certain that he wants to.
The point about the sporting director is valid, but the model is very similar as the one we traditionally try and run in that we don't invest money in the team but rather use sales money and particular sales of big players to try and improve whilst also trying to break even.

Difference being is that Dortmunds ability to replace a big player seems to be on a totally different level to us. Only time I can really remember them fucking up is when they tried to replace Lewandowski with Immobile.

My big frustration is that we were often offered the players first, and then stupidly passed on them. Pochettino needs to be taken to task over that, I feel.

Agree. We could have signed Maguire and Robertson from Hull. Both were heavily scouted and recommended. Same with Maddison and Brooks. We could have had all 4 for less than 60 mill

cover2.jpg

Enic lovers x anti enic

Dortmund have lost their best players on frees quite a lot. They are also only competing against one team while we have 5 richer.
They lost one on a free. They've lost a couple due to player power. But they also learned from that (the Goetze and Lewandowski transfers) and haven't had that happen to them since.

Back
Top Bottom