A dose of reality

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mane proves it time and time again that you can be seen as a worldie by just possessing pace.
Agree to a point-he can go missing as much as any player, I guess. We see the good and bad in all types of players, I just feel we need more of a balance in the squad. Its unfair on Kane demanding the upmost every week when sometimes he can or does struggle. Its a squad game and good squad we should have.

Why does every one take a comment to extreme ?

He doesn't score for a few games , we should question why-it doesn't mean its anti kane? At the moment we can not do without him because we haven't got the back up to replace. Last season. Vardy showed that with pace and not much more than that, you can get goals against anyone- kane lacks pace and this is exposed when he needs to cover ground. At WHL its set up for him, away he sometime struggles. No one is questioning his ability. Its not a case of either , good or shite, its he's game detail, improving where he needs to improve. Sometime playing from the bench may be to our advantage on occasions-no ones bigger than the club and he will always be number one.
They are very sensitive if you don't say we are the bestest & so are all our players, manager & mr levy.
We need to accept that or many more pointless arguments will happen.

Pace is utterly useless against a team that puts 10 men behind the ball and sits on it's penalty box, which we face more often than not nowadays.

I agree, like most of us, watching someone who can run through/past a team is exhilarating and a thrill. Having said that we do possess pace in our side (Sissoko, GK, Son) and believe it or not we are (probably were after Sat) the team that has scored the highest amount of counter attacking goals in the league!!
Yeah true. Like you say, it is great to watch pacey players do their thing.
But it wouldn't help much with the park the bus teams which is the bigger problem.
It would help with the away games to the top 6 I believe.
Who can forget bale's breakaway goal against utd when we won 3-2.
Or the other breakaway goals & moments around those few years away to teams like Woolwich.
It is probably the only thing we were better at back then. Except for having modric & bale during some of that time.

But we are much better defensively & all round these days!

Can't help with how to break down the park the bus teams. Maybe we lack some creativity or need better finishers.
I will leave that to poch.

Oh & neither of us mentioned rose or walker who obviously add a lot of pace
I almost take them for granted now.

Last edited:
Mane proves it time and time again that you can be seen as a worldie by just possessing pace.
I think he would improve us & give us something we lack.
But you are right in the sense pace usually makes players look better than they are.

Why does every one take a comment to extreme ?

He doesn't score for a few games , we should question why-it doesn't mean its anti kane? At the moment we can not do without him because we haven't got the back up to replace. Last season. Vardy showed that with pace and not much more than that, you can get goals against anyone- kane lacks pace and this is exposed when he needs to cover ground. At WHL its set up for him, away he sometime struggles. No one is questioning his ability. Its not a case of either , good or shite, its he's game detail, improving where he needs to improve. Sometime playing from the bench may be to our advantage on occasions-no ones bigger than the club and he will always be number one.

I agree no player is beyond criticism, And he has gone missing in the past few games, but So did dele earlier in the season and then he went on a run of back to back braces, plus if we did drop Kane to the bench we really don't have a suitable replacement at the moment, Jansen is taking longer then expected to adjust to the PL, and even Kane on a bad day is better then Jansen in his current form, it's a hard one though as on 1 hand I'm saying you need to play to get into form, but Jansen is only getting a few minutes here and there...
It seems a lot easier on Champ manager then it is in real life.... maybe I won't give up my day job just yet! :pochsmirk:

Yeah true. Like you say, it is great to watch pacey players do their thing.
But it wouldn't help much with the park your bus teams which is the bigger problem.
It would help with the away games to the top 6 I believe.
Who can forget bale's breakaway goal against utd when we won 3-2.
Or the other breakaway goals & moments around those few years away to teams like Woolwich.
It is probably the only thing we were better at back then. Except for having modric & bale during some of that time.

Can't help with how to break down the park the bus teams. Maybe we lack some creativity or need better finishers.

Oh & neither of us mentioned rose or walker.

They obviously add a lot of pace & I almost take them for granted.
The only way to ' break down' park bus teams is to get behind and thats achieved by getting down the flanks and getting behind or side on. Crosses, confusion and just getting that ball in the box and getting players in there. Croses are key, look what we did to Chelsea, they park up as part of their game regardless who they play but have the confidence to quickly get the ball forward so its ignored as parking?

Last edited:

Oh & neither of us mentioned rose or walker who obviously add a lot of pace
I almost take them for granted now.

I think he would improve us & give us something we lack.
But you are right in the sense pace usually makes players look better than they are.

Personally I don't rate him as being any better than an Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott or Jamie Vardy. He's different from what he have and I just don't think he would have a place in our starting line up. It's why if we do sign a pacey player, it's usually someone who doesn't mind being left on the bench.

I agree no player is beyond criticism, And he has gone missing in the past few games, but So did dele earlier in the season and then he went on a run of back to back braces, plus if we did drop Kane to the bench we really don't have a suitable replacement at the moment, Jansen is taking longer then expected to adjust to the PL, and even Kane on a bad day is better then Jansen in his current form, it's a hard one though as on 1 hand I'm saying you need to play to get into form, but Jansen is only getting a few minutes here and there...
It seems a lot easier on Champ manager then it is in real life.... maybe I won't give up my day job just yet! :pochsmirk:
It was early in the season when Kane was out for 10 games? We coped With Janssen. kane is our best forward, theres no doubt. We know he cant play every game so do we challange for the PL top 4 or do we go for a trophy? Does he rest on Thurs? Do we try something new this far in the season. Pep some times plays without a forward?

Well his finishing wasnt too shabby the other day either.....I said before the game, Id swap him for Son.

That game cemented it for me. You think Mane would´ve missed Son´s chance, or Son would have scored Mane´s?

He might not be world class, but you dont have to be to improve on Son, or Eriksen when he plays like that

It was early in the season when Kane was out for 10 games? We coped With Janssen. kane is our best forward, theres no doubt. We know he cant play every game so do we challange for the PL top 4 or do we go for a trophy? Does he rest on Thurs? Do we try something new this far in the season. Pep some times plays without a forward?

We drew against West Brom, Bournemouth and Leicester in the PL games he was missing, and beat Boro and of course City.
In the 5 PL games he was missing we scored 6 goals and I think we scored 15 in the 5 PL games after he came back, granted this is all hyperfetical as we were playing different opposition...(miss Totti Totti for these kind of stats)
But when he seems to have such a positive impact on the team, and no one of simmiliar influence for his posistion it's hard to see him being dropped. I want to see us going back to playing 3 at the back as this seemed to suit us regardless of teams parking the bus etc.....
As regards the the EL and FA cup, I think he will start Thursday, but sit out at the weekend. I would love to see Jansen start though as I really do want to see him succeed and would be good to give harry some real completion for his starting place in the team.

We drew against West Brom, Bournemouth and Leicester in the PL games he was missing, and beat Boro and of course City.
In the 5 PL games he was missing we scored 6 goals and I think we scored 15 in the 5 PL games after he came back, granted this is all hyperfetical as we were playing different opposition...(miss Totti Totti for these kind of stats)
But when he seems to have such a positive impact on the team, and no one of simmiliar influence for his posistion it's hard to see him being dropped. I want to see us going back to playing 3 at the back as this seemed to suit us regardless of teams parking the bus etc.....
As regards the the EL and FA cup, I think he will start Thursday, but sit out at the weekend. I would love to see Jansen start though as I really do want to see him succeed and would be good to give harry some real completion for his starting place in the team.
At least our fans are top draw...
Congratulations to Adele - scooping five awards at last night's Grammys!

Janssen is almost there, he just needs - not sure what he needs. Not sure if its him trying too hard or being played incorrectly, in a way that doesn't suit his game.

Well his finishing wasnt too shabby the other day either.....I said before the game, Id swap him for Son.

That game cemented it for me. You think Mane would´ve missed Son´s chance, or Son would have scored Mane´s?

He might not be world class, but you dont have to be to improve on Son, or Eriksen when he plays like that

If Son's one chance of the game had fallen onto his stronger foot then he probably would have put it away with ease. Son is two footed, Mane is one footed. If Mane had Son's chance I expect it would have went either over or out for a goal kick since he isn't nearly as competent as Son is with his left.

If Son's one chance of the game had fallen onto his stronger foot then he probably would have put it away with ease. Son is two footed, Mane is one footed. If Mane had Son's chance I expect it would have went either over or out for a goal kick since he isn't nearly as competent as Son is with his left.

Well if Son is two footed, surely he has even less excuse.

Mane is smart enough to use his stronger foot

Last edited:

Peg+Leg-Edit.jpg

The reality is we may have lost to Liverpool, but we are still a club that is very much developing for the long term, something for us to be proud of.

Tottenham can cement place as a Premier League powerhouse by managing pivotal years ahead

It was once natural to become cynical whenever a Premier League club issued grand plans for a new stadium. Barely a year went by during the Noughties without an ‘iconic’ design proposal that would invariably amount to nothing more than a glossy architect’s drawing. The most wildly optimistic was surely Portsmouth’s £600 million dockland project which was intended to result in “a new dawn” for the club away from the dilapidated Fratton Park.

By the time of planned completion in 2011, the only new dawn involved a club heading for League Two following an administration that would list St John Ambulance and the local scout organisation among numerous creditors. Portsmouth were not alone at that time in making plans that sat well beyond their means and so the current sight of cranes and workmen as you approach the juncture between Tottenham High Road and White Hart Lane represents the most tangible and impressive possible evidence of progress.

Yet this is progress at a cost and Spurs are also now at a wider on-field crossroads that will be pivotal to their longer-term future.

Amid all the diggers in and around White Hart Lane, pitfalls await. Saturday’s defeat at Liverpool was a reminder of how, for all the good training-ground work of Mauricio Pochettino, this is a squad still lacking the depth to sustain a title push.

The challenge will only intensify over a three-year period that will quite conceivably become the most important and sensitive in their history. Tottenham have so far met the test of playing in front of a partially demolished White Hart Lane impressively but next will probably come Wembley before the process of adjusting to a new ground begins.

Matches are unlikely to really feel like home again until at least the 2019-20 season. The club must also retain key players amid a wider financial structure that must absorb a building project that has been estimated at £750 million.

Manchester City and Real Madrid are already regularly linked with Dele Alli. Harry Kane and Pochettino himself are certain also to be on the radar of most major European clubs. A combination of debt, naming rights and advanced hospitality sales will help fund the project but the ultimate test will be whether Spurs can build the stadium while keeping their squad intact.

He might win few popularity contests in football for his negotiating style but the club’s chairman, Daniel Levy has, in many key respects, done a phenomenal job even to bring Tottenham to this crossroads. There was no inherent reason why they – rather than say Leeds United, Everton or Aston Villa – should find themselves now regularly competing to play in the Champions League and preparing for a new stadium.

There have been no benefactors bankrolling new players. It has simply been the result of relentlessly striving for better and not accepting that life inside the top four was the impossible dream it long appeared until Gareth Bale, Harry Redknapp and Luka Modric spearheaded the club into a new era.

Yet with the squad brimming more with quality rather than quantity, managing what lies immediately ahead is also the most decisive moment of all. Succeed and Tottenham should find themselves cemented for a generation among the absolute powerhouses of English football.

Tottenham can cement place as a Premier League powerhouse by managing pivotal years ahead

Moving it onto your stronger foot isn't always an option. Hell, at the pace the game is played it is rarely an option.
Then he should learn to pass to a team mate who has a tap in...

Also he was in acres of space, not for the first time (Fiorentina away) so could have done whatever he liked with it.

Simple fact is, he is an instinct finisher, so useless in one on ones

Back
Top Bottom