Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

6 games coming up within the next 28 days. On average a game every 4.5 days. It's a big ask for Davies.

What I will say is that like Rose, he likes to put his body on the line and isn't afraid to put a foot in. It's just everything in the offensive department that's missing. I used to like the option of Davies for his crossing but even Rose seems to have overtaken him in that department.

As one of three CBs, yes.
As a LB in a flat back four, yes.
As a LWB or LW in a 3-5-2, no.

Rose is more of a winger than a LB in that 3-5-2 formation and it suits him - remember he originally joined the club as a LW and later converted to LB, so this is no surprise.

Davies is a perfectly good LB but doesn't convert to LW in that formation, so don't put him in that position. If anything, if we play 3-5-2 then have him at LCB with an actual winger LWB.

Personally don't think he fits our team at all and hopefully he will be gone in the summer #imo.
Definitely need to find someone in Danny's mould to cover the LB position.

Personally don't think he fits our team at all and hopefully he will be gone in the summer #imo.
Definitely need to find someone in Danny's mould to cover the LB position.
Both our back up FB's are so very far behind Rose and Walker. Davies was shite today, here I'm talking about misjudging the flight of the ball, stepping up when Mane was running at him. Having said that he was not helped in any way by how we set up. Dembele usually so very good at covering and tracking runners was focused on being very central today. He had no protection from Son either. For me this was tactical and down to Poch.
I'm not expecting world class back up FB's just players that will push Rose and Walker, looks like both Davies and Trippier have resigned their fate as back up's, they know they have hit thier ceiling.

Enter Ryan Sessegnon?
Really hope he was watching today - because then he might see that he'd still get a lot of game time with us, in spite of being behind Rose in the pecking order.

I feel bad for Davies, our tactics (and some of his teammates) are letting him down badly. It was suicidal to play 4 at the back with a high line today and expect him not to be exposed to Mane again and again. That was compounded by Son failing to track back properly too.

He doesn't even need to be moved on, we just need to use him as a left-sided centreback in a back three and bring in someone who is better suited to filling in for Rose at LB/LWB (Sessengon being an excellent suggestion).

Both our back up FB's are so very far behind Rose and Walker. Davies was shite today, here I'm talking about misjudging the flight of the ball, stepping up when Mane was running at him. Having said that he was not helped in any way by how we set up. Dembele usually so very good at covering and tracking runners was focused on being very central today. He had no protection from Son either. For me this was tactical and down to Poch.
I'm not expecting world class back up FB's just players that will push Rose and Walker, looks like both Davies and Trippier have resigned their fate as back up's, they know they have hit thier ceiling.
I agree with the Davies conclusion however in terms of Trippier i think he offers enough going forward that we can hang onto him. Davies is neither here nor there, not an attacking threat and defensively yesterday he was a bit clumsy. Such a shame as i really like him but we need a wing back to cover Rose, not a LB who performs like a Hull starter. I say we let him go and grow at another club, his lack of PL starter football is doing him no favours. 9 mil plus add ons transfer to another team for me is inevitable.

I agree with the Davies conclusion however in terms of Trippier i think he offers enough going forward that we can hang onto him. Davies is neither here nor there, not an attacking threat and defensively yesterday he was a bit clumsy. Such a shame as i really like him but we need a wing back to cover Rose, not a LB who performs like a Hull starter. I say we let him go and grow at another club, his lack of PL starter football is doing him no favours. 9 mil plus add ons transfer to another team for me is inevitable.
Davies is a better footballer than Trippier. Trippier is poor, his crossing ability everyone wanks over ain't all that, rarely finds a white shirt, very low percentage.

Davies is a better footballer than Trippier. Trippier is poor, his crossing ability everyone wanks over ain't all that, rarely finds a white shirt, very low percentage.
Perhaps that may be true but with a manager like Poch a player eith Trippiers ability had a lot more potential than Davies does. Davies seems to play with a "we need to defend" mentality whereas trippier and rose/walker play with a "lets attack" mentality. Regardless of whether you like kieran or not his technique when striking a ball is fantastic. If he was at stoke or west ham his delivery would be praised much more. Perfect squad player.

Maybe the pressure got to him, he's a good enough defender yesterday his positioning ability to read the game or anticipate a developing situation completely deserted him. No one expected him to be bombing forward but we expect the basics to executed but he could judge the flight of the ball, mark, track his man or tackle. He's better than that and intelligent player let's hope between himself and Poch it gets sorted out.

Perhaps that may be true but with a manager like Poch a player eith Trippiers ability had a lot more potential than Davies does. Davies seems to play with a "we need to defend" mentality whereas trippier and rose/walker play with a "lets attack" mentality. Regardless of whether you like kieran or not his technique when striking a ball is fantastic. If he was at stoke or west ham his delivery would be praised much more. Perfect squad player.
When both Davies and Trippier attack they can't get back to defend, so we leave big gaps behind, as a result they are more cautious and calculating when to join attack, ultimately meaning it rarely happens. Trippiers crosses hardly find a white shirt, that is fact. I am sorry I can't admire a pass (and that is what a cross is) when it rarely finds a white shirt. A cross is a very low percentage opportunity.
Davies is the better footballer of the two. Both have stopped pushing Rose and Walker, both have lost the belief they can get past them in the team and their performances reflect this. Need young hungry players in who believe they are better than Walker and Rose.

How many crossers have a high percentage?

It's one of the toughest skills in the game.
So why the fuck do it in the first place? Why praise a crosser if the ball rarely finds is own player?

Walker has improved in one area this year, his crossing, he rarely whips in a ball (has done but tends to be when he has got to byeline) but has far more success by pulling it back, he finds his man more times than not, it's another reason why both Rose and Walker are so much better than the other two, as their ability to create opportunities for us. It is also why I prefer Davies to Trippier as on the lesser occasions he gets forward at least he is more of a treat in the final third than Trips.

Davies isn't a bad footballer, but as a full-back he is not suited to the way we play, he is too slow and too reluctant going forward. He is more of an old-school type of full-back, but that is not what we need. We need those modern-day overlapping full-backs who are doing the winger job and full-back job simultaniously. Rose does that, Walker does it, even Trippier to a certain extend and his crossing compensates a lot, but Davies just cannot do that job.

Our full-backs need to be like wing-backs, we even changed the system to a 352 to make our full-backs play even higher up. The problem for us is that Davies can't play as a LWB, for Wales he actually plays as the LCB in that system, that says it all really. Doesn't mean he can't be useful to us, he can play LCB in our back 3 for instance, but a like-for-like with Danny Rose he is not...

So why the fuck do it in the first place? Why praise a crosser if the ball rarely finds is own player?

Walker has improved in one area this year, his crossing, he rarely whips in a ball (has done but tends to be when he has got to byeline) but has far more success by pulling it back, he finds his man more times than not, it's another reason why both Rose and Walker are so much better than the other two, as their ability to create opportunities for us. It is also why I prefer Davies to Trippier as on the lesser occasions he gets forward at least he is more of a treat in the final third than Trips.
Because he's a RB that finds himself on the wing more than anywhere else on the pitch, in the last 3rd. Therefore, the cross becomes an option. You can't just dismiss a certain skill and ask why do it because it's difficult? Where does it end? Why shoot from further than 20 yards? Why do a step over? Why did Harry shoot from where he did v. Woolwich last year?

The cross is used because when it's delivered the CB's are generally shuffling backwards from their starting positions with the attacker shuffling forwards. When executed well it's a dangerous option that provides another string to a sides bow.

You can't dismiss an alternative attacking option because it's hard. It's not like it's our plan A, or B, or even C. We've scored goals from his crosses. Therefore, imo, it's a more than worthy option that Trippier does well.

Take shooting free-kicks for example, their success rates are generally under 15%, but you wouldn't suggest giving them up.

Back
Top Bottom