Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because he's a RB that finds himself on the wing more than anywhere else on the pitch, in the last 3rd. Therefore, the cross becomes an option. You can't just dismiss a certain skill and ask why do it because it's difficult? Where does it end? Why shoot from further than 20 yards? Why do a step over? Why did Harry shoot from where he did v. Woolwich last year?

The cross is used because when it's delivered the CB's are generally shuffling backwards from their starting positions with the attacker shuffling forwards. When executed well it's a dangerous option that provides another string to a sides bow.

You can't dismiss an alternative attacking option because it's hard. It's not like it's our plan A, or B, or even C. We've scored goals from his crosses. Therefore, imo, it's a more than worthy option that Trippier does well.

Take shooting free-kicks for example, their success rates are generally under 15%, but you wouldn't suggest giving them up.
I would rather he did what all our other FB's do, Inc. Davies, carry the ball in more dangerous areas, get behind defences, get into the box whilst on the ball, link up with our players. All the others create far more than a cross that hardly finds a white shirt. I would rather defend a ball hit into the box than have a player take me on in the box. Even yesterday when playing poorly Davies was directly involved in our best chance in the game (Son's 1 v 1 on keeper). This is what the others do and what Trps doesn't.

I would rather he did what all our other FB's do, Inc. Davies, carry the ball in more dangerous areas, get behind defences, get into the box whilst on the ball, link up with our players. All the others create far more than a cross that hardly finds a white shirt. I would rather defend a ball hit into the box than have a player take me on in the box. Even yesterday when playing poorly Davies was directly involved in our best chance in the game (Son's 1 v 1 on keeper). This is what the others do and what Trps doesn't.
That's because Trippier is a different kind of full back.

You can't ask him to what Walker and Rose do, because he can't. He's not that good. Like most players, you play to their strengths.

How many crossers have a high percentage?

It's one of the toughest skills in the game.
Players are told to hit a dangerous zone of the pitch/box with a cross, in the knowledge that the attacking players are trained to get into that zone to be on the end of it. TBF though, Walker & Rose have fizzed in some absolute beauties this season. It just seems that people are struggling to get on the end of them. Be that a sneaky tug or shove by a defender or simply just not timing the run correctly. I don't think our crosses have been shit.

Our set pieces have been though.

That's because Trippier is a different kind of full back.

You can't ask him to what Walker and Rose do, because he can't. He's not that good. Like most players, you play to their strengths.
If his crosses were accurate and/or we had a target man like Carroll or Duncan Fergerson that could get on the end of them, then no doubt there would be a different conversation to be had. The plan fact is his crosses rarely find a white shirt, thus rendering him utterly pointless.

If his crosses were accurate and/or we had a target man like Carroll or Duncan Fergerson that could get on the end of them, then no doubt there would be a different conversation to be had. The plan fact is his crosses rarely find a white shirt, thus rendering him utterly pointless.
The onus isn't entirely on him. He's meant to cross into an area for players to attack. You can't lay the blame entirely at his door.

Trippier?

His crossing is excellent.

I actually think it's a shame we didn't go in for van Aanholt this January as a Rose back-up. He would've been perfect as a LWB. He's great on the attack, a bit dodgy defensively, but in a back 5 that isn't such a problem.

See my argument above. Just like corners they are low percentage and we rarely score or create from any. In my book that isn't even average let alone excellent.

Bollocks.

In the 3 games he's played in the league he's been excellent.

He averages more chances created, assist and passes per game than pretty much any other right sided defender (including Moses) that I can think of in the league.

Kane scored 2 goals from Trippier's crosses at Watford.

Bollocks.

In the 3 games he's played in the league he's been excellent.

He averages more chances created, assist and passes per game than pretty much any other right sided defender (including Moses) that I can think of in the league.

Kane scored 2 goals from Trippier's crosses at Watford.
I know I was there he assisted 2 goals. But let's not get selective (look at all his games), when he plays almost all of his crosses do not find a white shirt, they, just like corners are low percentage, they amount to nothing other than conceding possession. Davies, Rose and Walker are all far better at creating opportunities than him.

I know I was there he assisted 2 goals. But let's not get selective (look at all his games), when he plays almost all of his crosses do not find a white shirt, they, just like corners are low percentage, they amount to nothing other than conceding possession. Davies, Rose and Walker are all far better at creating opportunities than him.

You are being selective.

He's played 3 premier league games, and has two assists. Walker has played 24 this season and has 5 assists.

You're writing off a player as crap with absolutely no foundation. You think that every cross a player makes should end up on a player's head? Walker must be shite too, then.

Absolutely no issues with Trippier, he's a brilliant little player.

You are being selective.

He's played 3 premier league games, and has two assists. Walker has played 24 this season and has 5 assists.

You're writing off a player as crap with absolutely no foundation. You think that every cross a player makes should end up on a player's head? Walker must be shite too, then.

Absolutely no issues with Trippier, he's a brilliant little player.
I've not banged on about assists, it's about opportunities created. Compared to the others he offers very, very little.

Rose is correctly labelled as the best full back in the league how many assists does he have? Rose is a sensation going forward, why? Think what he does, think what he brings to the attack, how he links up, runs into spaces, dribbles into the box, how aggressive he is closing down the Oppo high up the pitch causing mistakes for us to profit from. He does it all, he crosses too!!! But just like Walker favours to get behind the oppo and pull it back (I am only focussing on attacking attributes here).

Trippier crosses the ball, wow! As I said earlier if we had Carroll or Fergerson up top then may be his crosses would potentially be more of a weapon, but we don't. For the same reason why Palace have been shit dispite having two fast wingers and an old school centre forward, they rely on this as a tactic but the reality is it is easier to defend against as a) you can stop the cross in the first place b) easyier for defenders to head clear c) Goalkeepers to claim d) very low percentage of the cross actually finding their own man.

He is a one trick pony with his only perceived asset as something that is akin witnessing a solar eclipse.

I've not banged on about assists, it's about opportunities created. Compared to the others he offers very, very little.

Rose is correctly labelled as the best full back in the league how many assists does he have? Rose is a sensation going forward, why? Think what he does, think what he brings to the attack, how he links up, runs into spaces, dribbles into the box, how aggressive he is closing down the Oppo high up the pitch causing mistakes for us to profit from. He does it all, he crosses too!!! But just like Walker favours to get behind the oppo and pull it back (I am only focussing on attacking attributes here).

Trippier crosses the ball, wow! As I said earlier if we had Carroll or Fergerson up top then may be his crosses would potentially be more of a weapon, but we don't. For the same reason why Palace have been shit dispite having two fast wingers and an old school centre forward, they rely on this as a tactic but the reality is it is easier to defend against as a) you can stop the cross in the first place b) easyier for defenders to head clear c) Goalkeepers to claim d) very low percentage of the cross actually finding their own man.

He is a one trick pony with his only perceived asset as something that is akin witnessing a solar eclipse.

For a normally reasoned poster, you do seem to have a downer on Trip. He offers us something going forward that the lethargic Davies does not. He (Davies) is not even good at defending. He's unreliable and a terrible back up for Rose.

For a normally reasoned poster, you do seem to have a downer on Trip. He offers us something going forward that the lethargic Davies does not. He (Davies) is not even good at defending. He's unreliable and a terrible back up for Rose.
IMO Davies is a better footballer that Trips. In attack he offers far more than Trips does some of the things Rose and Walker do, not as well and not as often. Defensively he is far superior to Trips who might as well not be there, chocolate fire guard and all that. Plus he gives a option of playing 3 at the back.

I've no issues with Trips playing against Wycomb, Fulham etc.

Davies was shocking yesterday but singling him out I don't think is fair, as Poch set us up wrong. Rose, Walker would have struggled being as isolated as him.

Biggest concerns for me though is both Davies and Trips have stopped pushing for selection, they have accepted their position as back ups and hit their ceiling. This now needs addressing in the summer with KWP and or another young and hungry player full of belief that they can force their way ahead of Rose and Walker and put in performances that grab the attention of the manger, like Winks, Kane, Alli & Davies have done.

IMO Davies is a better footballer that Trips. In attack he offers far more than Trips does some of the things Rose and Walker do, not as well and not as often. Defensively he is far superior to Trips who might as well not be there, chocolate fire guard and all that.

I've no issues with Trips playing against Wycomb, Fulham etc.

Davies was shocking yesterday but singling him out I don't think is fair, as Poch set us up wrong. Rose, Walker would have struggled being as isolated as him.

Biggest concerns for me though is both Davies and Trips have stopped pushing for selection, they have accepted their position as back ups and hit their ceiling. This now needs addressing in the summer with KWP and or another young and hungry player full of belief that they can force their way ahead of Rose and Walker and put in performances that grab the attention of the manger, like Winks, Kane, Alli & Davies have done.

Poch got it wrong yesterday, but that doesn't excuse Davies's performance, and I disagree that he offers more in attack. He's a 'safety first' player, and when he doesn't provide that safety he looks terrible. It's all opinion though and we're just gonna have to disagree on this one.

Poch got it wrong yesterday, but that doesn't excuse Davies's performance, and I disagree that he offers more in attack. He's a 'safety first' player, and when he doesn't provide that safety he looks terrible. It's all opinion though and we're just gonna have to disagree on this one.
No problem with that Joe but it was him that fashioned our only real chance yesterday. I bring this up as merely trying to add weight to my argument that he can play with the ball at his feet, whereas young Trips would have put it into the box and for us not to be on the end of it.

I've no issues if we replace Davies, feel his time has come. But given the choice Trips goes first.

Back
Top Bottom