The Mighty Spurs - Abu Dhabi FC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Their fans seem to think Pep needs to adapt, they worry he didn't realise how hard the league was, which i think is accurate. Everyone said that would happen and it has. But I don't think they have turned on him yet. Maybe this is the game.

People think its arrogant to say the PL is a real acid test, but it really can be the place where the percieved world class get found out. Not saying Pep has failed yet, but the warning signs were there for those who felt that Spain and Germany are 1 to 3 team leagues, and if you inherit the best, you will do well.

I could take over Barca today and have a shot at winning La Liga. Try that with any of our top 6 though.

However, saying that, City fans became very spolit very quickly.....if they want him out any time soon, they have lost the plot. He deserves the chance to actually fail before the knives come out.

No you don't.
You're on my list now

whatchatalkinabout.jpg

People think its arrogant to say the PL is a real acid test, but it really can be the place where the percieved world class get found out. Not saying Pep has failed yet, but the warning signs were there for those who felt that Spain and Germany are 1 to 3 team leagues, and if you inherit the best, you will do well.

I could take over Barca today and have a shot at winning La Liga. Try that with any of our top 6 though.

However, saying that, City fans became very spolit very quickly.....if they want him out any time soon, they have lost the plot. He deserves the chance to actually fail before the knives come out.

Not sure they'll give him that, though. The hype they built up around Guardiola's arrival was unreal. They were talking about how many Champions League titles they were going to win ffs. And here they are fighting for top 4.

Not sure they'll give him that, though. The hype they built up around Guardiola's arrival was unreal. They were talking about how many Champions League titles they were going to win ffs. And here they are fighting for top 4.
He needs at least one season to sort out the mess he inherited. Next season they'll be much stronger imv

I don't think we will lose this one. They may want to come out strong against us but if they make too many changes and try to play a open game we will slaughter them. At the least it will be a draw. But I really can't see them scoring against us. Now their next opponents might be in trouble but not us. Also I would personally put Davies in a back three ahead of Wimmer. Like I saw someone say before most of Citehs attackers are small and quick so I think Davies would be able to handle them better.

I know how you feel, they won't allow 2 defeats, but we beat them at there best, surely we can also beat them at there worse, if we turn up and play at 85% of our best then we will be to much for them!
:tobyarm:
Oh I don't know about that...
:adegrin2:

Screen_Shot_2017_01_17_at_00_03_18.png

In fairness, they did improve after that Leicester match - though it still wasn't enough to beat us.

I'd also argue that we were worse then and they were better.

We're so confident - and rightly so - but I feel like someone has to be the devil's advocate to balance it out a bit.

Player for player they have a great squad.
Although not convincing in the PL up until this point, they have a manager with an impressive resume and a shitload of trophies.
We're the in form team, no doubt, but if someone is to suddenly turn up and have a blinder, it's a team of superstar mercenaries. Hell, look at the Chelsea game last season.
We can't expect them to play us in the same way they played Everton etc.
I'd even bet Bravo is gonna have a MOTM cameo - don't they always against us?

But.. I still think it's more likely that we'll come away with points than not. And even if we should lose, we know that it's never gonna be a thrashing.
In fact, the fantastic thing about this team is that while we dreaded getting a 5-0 thrashing under AVB and Sherwood, Manchester City with fucking Guardiola, Aguero and De Bruyne is fearing a 5-0 thrashing from us!

Hell, what am I talking about, we're gonna murder 'em. :pochohshit::walker-scream::sonpoint:

Player for player they have a great squad.

I often hear this but I can't really agree. It's probably the worst structured squad I've ever seen from a club that's supposed to challenge for honours domestically as well as internationally. There's no doubt that Aguero, De Bruyne, Silva are top class players that would get in just about any team in the league. I think Fernandinho and Sterling are very good aswell, but besides that the squad is a weird mismash of nothing type players.

The defense is absolutely horrendous. I can't believe how much they've spent in the last 5 years on that central defense and they're still not even half the unit that say a Middlesbrough or Burnley is. It's horrible. Mangala, Otamendi and by the looks of it, Stones, have all been terrible buys at £30m+ each. The fullbacks were good a couple of years ago but by now they're a joke. I thought that would be the first area Guardiola would address considering how important fullbacks have always been to him. They're all past it. All four.

The midfield is aging and Toure looks like a passenger in most games bar against relegation fodder at home where he can still dictate. Fernando has been shocking. Gundogan is a top player but he's been injured for 3 years and predictably he's injured again. Delph another Sinclair or Rodwell type acqusition. Fernandinho is a good player but keeps losing his mind and getting sent off.

Up front they've got Aguero who's brilliant but he's been off it since his weird assault on Luiz. Iheaneacho isn't trusted by Guardiola and is a bit of flattrack bully although there's promise there. No clue about Gabriel Jesus.

The only part of their team that's truly terrifying is the attacking midfield where they've got an embarassment of riches in De Bruyne, Silva, Sané and Sterling. That's about as good as it gets.

Having said all that, I'm sure we'll see a reaction on Saturday and it won't be an easy game. We need to get past Liverpool and City away without losing and a draw isn't the end of the world. After those two games we've got no more away games against the top-6 and the hardest left are West Ham and Burnley away imo.

From Bluemoon.

"Hard to swallow,but Spurs have a better team,better players in arguably every position.
Forget their quality,they'll show the fight and desire to win,sth we totally lack."

Apart from the messy post, and unconventional punctuation, this guy nails it.

Last edited:
I often hear this but I can't really agree. It's probably the worst structured squad I've ever seen from a club that's supposed to challenge for honours domestically as well as internationally. There's no doubt that Aguero, De Bruyne, Silva are top class players that would get in just about any team in the league. I think Fernandinho and Sterling are very good aswell, but besides that the squad is a weird mismash of nothing type players.

The defense is absolutely horrendous. I can't believe how much they've spent in the last 5 years on that central defense and they're still not even half the unit that say a Middlesbrough or Burnley is. It's horrible. Mangala, Otamendi and by the looks of it, Stones, have all been terrible buys at £30m+ each. The fullbacks were good a couple of years ago but by now they're a joke. I thought that would be the first area Guardiola would address considering how important fullbacks have always been to him. They're all past it. All four.

The midfield is aging and Toure looks like a passenger in most games bar against relegation fodder at home where he can still dictate. Fernando has been shocking. Gundogan is a top player but he's been injured for 3 years and predictably he's injured again. Delph another Sinclair or Rodwell type acqusition. Fernandinho is a good player but keeps losing his mind and getting sent off.

Up front they've got Aguero who's brilliant but he's been off it since his weird assault on Luiz. Iheaneacho isn't trusted by Guardiola and is a bit of flattrack bully although there's promise there. No clue about Gabriel Jesus.

The only part of their team that's truly terrifying is the attacking midfield where they've got an embarassment of riches in De Bruyne, Silva, Sané and Sterling. That's about as good as it gets.

Having said all that, I'm sure we'll see a reaction on Saturday and it won't be an easy game. We need to get past Liverpool and City away without losing and a draw isn't the end of the world. After those two games we've got no more away games against the top-6 and the hardest left are West Ham and Burnley away imo.

Yeah, that's why I wrote "player for player".
Nevertheless, it probably should have been "on paper".

Point is, they're the kind of team that can suddenly show up for a big game, despite a shit form - just like Chelsea last year. People often conclude too much based on form. Hardly comparable, but Aston Villa fans were sure that we'd thrash them by double figures.

Eeeez football :pochsmirk:

Back
Top Bottom